Coranado hotel advice or La Jolla

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2012, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to be in San Diego for an event in Feb. I am staying at the Rancho Bernardo Inn for the event - and have one more night that I think I want to stay in San Diego. I will have my 14 year old daughter with me, her friend and most likely my 18 year old daughter - so I need a room that will hold 4 and prefer two queen beds not two doubles.

I was raised in San Diego - moved when I was about 28 or so and have gone back often. We generally stay in the gaslamp when we go. Since I now live in Dallas Texas area - i would like to be by the ocean.

Question for the expert here:

The Grande Colonial has decent rates for that night - I have never stayed there - thoughts?

The Del is just too pricey - but two other options I have found:

1906 Lodge - had never heard of it.

Or Glorrietta Bay Inn?

I know the weather is questionable but I would like to hope we catch a break and just not have it too cold or rainy.
Old Jan 17th, 2012, 06:13 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I know you like Marriott and perhaps you have points to use. We stayed here for a reward trip -
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...esort-and-spa/

And really enjoyed it. We were there in April. I can't speak to weather in Feb.

It's waterfront - we had a view of the bridge from the room that was lovely - but not the bay, not the ocean. Not too far from the Del if you want to go over there for a while and get your toes in the sand. You can take the water ferry over to the city if you like - or drive over the bridge if you have a car.

Just an idea...
Old Jan 17th, 2012, 06:14 AM

The rooms were very large with sliders that open to a private balcony. Plenty big enough for 4 people in a room.
Old Jan 17th, 2012, 06:18 AM

I changed my profile pic to one of the view from the room - breakfast with a view
Old Jan 17th, 2012, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Starrs! What a beautiful view! Wow!

I have indeed stayed at that property and LOVED it It is a little hefty on the points for that night (30,000) and the rate is good - so I would most likely pay out of pocket - I would prefer to be on the other side - by the del if possible - only so if the weather is nice the girls could rent bikes or walk around BUT it is a lovely property and I believe the first time I stayed there is was another brand - higher end - and the Marriott bought it.

I do love the Marriott - brand loyalty and points ! I may end up going straight to OC and stay at the Dana Point Marriott - but thought since I was in SD it might be nice to spend Sunday and Monday there and head to OC on Monday night.
Old Jan 17th, 2012, 07:57 AM

Hi Mom, sounds like fun. I stayed at the Grande Colonial and enjoyed it very much, but I would not rate the rooms particularly large. I shared an ocean view room with a good friend but we got her two daughters a room of their own. I don't thik it would have been comfortable. The hotel was in a great position for early morning walks, shopping and sea breezes. The staff was very polished and charming.

The Del is just so wonderful. I couldn't get a good rate on my last visit, but I did have the Sunday brunch (fabulous) and several other meals there. If the kids like smoothies, theirs is absolutely the best ever.

I have considered the Glorietta Bay. It is across the street, but looked quite nice. Great location and if the rooms are big enough, I think it would fit the bill.

Have fun. I am headed out there in October so would welcome any suggestions you have when you return.
Old Jan 17th, 2012, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

cmcfong - thank you for the feedback. We recently stayed at a Hilton in Orlando and it was pretty tight for 4 people (granted my husband is a big guy so he counts for more - The Grand does have a room with two queens and what is not to love about that area of La Jolla?

I am torn on Glorietta Bay - I have only stayed at the Loews in Coranado and the Marriott that Starrs spoke of (which we enjoyed) - I would love to stay at the Del but it is so darn pricey! Hoping Nanabee or Lcuy will share about the Glorietta - they have are great about Coranado.
Old Jan 17th, 2012, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

btw - October is pretty much one of my favorite months in Southern California.
Old Jan 17th, 2012, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Okay spoke with my friend - who called me this morning because she is coming to Dallas. She has a small cottage home in Coranado that she has offered to us (it is a second home) so that seals the deal. No hotel but will report back!

She did say that the Glorietta Bay is fine and nice - but would prefer we use her home.
Old Jan 17th, 2012, 10:30 AM

sounds like a plan, Mom. Have fun.
Old Jan 17th, 2012, 05:20 PM

I just saw your post MomDDTravel. How wonderful to be able to stay at your friends house in Coronado.
Old Jan 17th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Nanabee - can you share about those properties though? I would love to know for the future - plus any good restaurant recommendations? Middle to lower price point - with the 3 "kids"