Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Which would you choose: Ocean Front Rooms at Wailea Marriott or Terrace View at Fairmont or Grand Wailea? Anyone know about Marriott construction?

Which would you choose: Ocean Front Rooms at Wailea Marriott or Terrace View at Fairmont or Grand Wailea? Anyone know about Marriott construction?

Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi fellow Hawaiian lovers,

DH and I are checking into all sorts of options for our 3rd trip to Hawaii next summer. We are going to Maui and Oahu.

We are all set for accomodations on Oahu, but are looking into different things on Maui. Thinking about splitting some time in a condo with some time at a resort, for one option. Right now, it looks like I can get an ocean FRONT room at the Wailea Marriott with breakfast for 2 every day for about the same price as a terrace view at either Fairmont Kea Lani or Grand Wailea. (4S is sold out of Mountain View rooms already for next August.)

I know that the Fairmont and Grand Wailea will be nicer resorts and both are directly on beaches, and this is where they seem to be the better choices. BUT, an ocean front room is really appealing at the Wailea Marriott -- has anyone stayed in these rooms? How are they? Also, I know the Marriott is between 2 beaches, how far of a walk to either? And does anyone know if construction will be done by next summer, and if renovations include the guest rooms?

OK, thanks for your help

Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 05:09 PM

My husband and I stayed in an ocean front room at the Wailea Marriott in February. The view was very nice with a balcony overlooking the ocean, but we were both very disappointed in our room. The bathroom is very small and very dark. The room definitely needs updating. The breakfast each morning was very nice and the location is great. It depends on what type of room you want, basic or plush.
Old Dec 26th, 2005, 02:40 PM

We stayed at the Fairmont in March and had a mountain/terrace view room which meant a view of the parking lot with a mountain behind it. However, the rooms are big and the hotel is very nice.
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 04:38 AM

Just to let you know... the Wailea Marriott is renovating and it will all be finished by the time you go.

Here's a website to check on the status...

http://www.marriotthawaii.com/agents/renov/wailea/

http://marriotthawaii.com/marriott-wailea.html
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 07:32 AM

We stayed at the Wailea Marriott for our honeymoon last September. We stayed in the rooms with ocean view. Depending on which building you stayed in, the room conditions maybe different. We stayed in 2 different buildings on the left hand side of the pool (when you're facing the ocean) and they were nice. Clean rooms and bathrooms. The sitting area of the room has a couch, table and desk. Then you have the balcony outside. The view of the landscaped garden and ocean with black rocks were beautiful. The staff was very friendly. The rooms in Fairmont and Grand Wailea will probably be better, that's why the Marriott is upgrading their rooms.

The walk to the other beaches on the felt less than 5 minutes, you won't even feel it because of all the nice sceneries. The Marriott was less crowded and had a more relax feeling. We prefer the beach on the right side of the pool, smaller but less crowded.

As far as construction, we couldn't hear any when we were there. Yes, they are upgrading their room and kids pool.

I would definitely go with the ocean view, it's nice to wake up in the morning and sip a cup of kona coffee with the ocean breeze and view. Have fun!!

p.s. you can also see review of the hotels you mentioned in tripadvisor.com
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 11:16 AM

I always go with "Better resort, lesser view."

The pampering experience of a top-notch resort is the same, no matter what room category you choose. The service, upgraded facilities, and little touches are worth more than a view, to me.
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 06:04 AM

Join the President's Club at Fairmont and receive a room upgrade certificate. That way, if you book the terrace view room, you could get bumped up to a ocean view room. I assume they still have that program. We were able to get the free upgrade several years ago. Just an idea . . .
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 09:27 AM

FYI, based on availability, Mariott Wailea do offer hospitality room if you have a late flight and want to freshen up before departing. We were able to check out, go around town and swam at the beach one last time before our flight that night. ;P

They also gave a nice surprise of complimentary champagne in our room. Nice touch.