Search

Confused about Rent

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2004, 11:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Confused about Rent

Hey everyone, got more questions... I know this is supposed to be a travel forum, but people are so informative....I keep reading where it will be a joke to find a place in manhattan for $1200-1400... I look on nytime.com and go to real estate and look at rentals and I see apartments for that all over the place, and 1400 will get you a really nice studio or 1 bedroom. 1400 is per month isnt it?
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 01:21 AM

You can find a small apartment easily for that amount Monthly. The glamour neighborhoods are of course more. You can find larger places if you are willing to commute into the city, as millions do.

If I were to be working in New York, I'd live in a closet to be able to stay in the city at night. There is nowhere with more to do and see and it is the most exciting place on earth.

A working shower, a comfy bed and a place to hang my clothes would just about suit me. I'd do all my meals from street vendors and small restaurants that abound. Every neighborhood has them.

My daughter had an interesting flat many years ago on St. Marks. The street was rather scary but she thrived there. The toilet was in a closet and her bathtub had a cover which functioned as the dining table and counter. Multi-tasking in every inch of space. LMF
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 03:03 AM

My daughter recently started school at nyu and found a tiny 5th floor walkup in Brooklyn, Williamsburg area, for one thousand a month; it was filthy but she cleaned it up.
I wonder what kind of place you could get for 1400. in a nicer area like Manhattan.

Old Sep 28th, 2004, 04:29 AM

For apts under $1500 on the Upper East Side, try

http://www.roberthill.com/
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 04:53 AM

While you might be able to find a studio or 1 bedroom for $1200 to $1400 a month, I'd suggest you reserve the "nice" qualifier until after you see the place. Though it has been several years since I went looking for a NYC rental, I saw numerous dumps before finding a place I liked.

Real estate agents love using words like "comfy" and "charming." Both are euphimisms for small. In an ad what sounds "nice", in reality turns out to be a basement apartment with no natural light, metal gates, and a toilet that was at the end of a hall, just off the kitchen with no door. (A place one broker showed me in 1995.)

Old Sep 28th, 2004, 05:17 AM

The only place you will get a reasonably nice one-bedroom or studio apt in Manhattan for $1400 a month is in a definitely non-prime neighborhood. Be sure to tour any neighborhood to be sure that you are both comfortable there on the street at night - and that the transport to your job is convenient.

In a more desireable neighborhood that rent will get you only an apartment that no one else is willing to take - with major disadvantaages (minute, 5th floor walk-up, very poor repair and/or odd bathing/toilet arrangements - as noted above).

You must realize that these ads are often very "creative" in their descriptions - or leave out significant facts.

(When I was looking to buy an apartment the sellers real estate agents not only deceived by omission - once not mentioning that the bath had been gutted by the previous owner and never replaced - but outright lied - I requested very specific info on the size of the rooms and was told the bedroom was 12 X 17 - when I got there it was not even a real bedroom - jusrt an "L" that measured 8 X 10).
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 05:20 AM

You may be able to find something in Manhattan very old and small (<400 sq.ft.)in a not-so-nice neighborhood far from the subway for that price. The Upper East Side - 1st Avenue or East of there - may be your best bet. This area is pretty nice but the subway is at least a 15min walk.

The thing that may surprise you more is the fees you have to pay to get an apartment thru a broker. It's the easiest way to find an apartment (you can look at 10 in one day, pick one and move in the next day) but be prepared to empty your bank account. First month's rent, security, and "finders fee" for a place in your price range means you'll need a check for about $5000.

When you go to a rental agency, you will need to bring many forms of ID, proof of address, proof of salary, references (former landlords, etc), and of course your checkbook to make a deposit. If you don't make enough money (around 50x the monthly rent, it varies) you will need someone who makes a larger amoung of money (>$150K roughly) to co-sign your lease.

It is possible, though often difficult, to find an apartment to rent from an owner, or not through a broker. Or you answer to ads looking for roommates. I have no idea how old you are, but there are a couple Upper East Side buildings I know where 20-somethings are always looking for roommates. One is Normandy Court. You'll be able to get a room in this nice, fairly new, full-service building (with doormen and laundry rooms) in the price range you quoted.

Old Sep 28th, 2004, 05:22 AM

PS realize the ads in the paper quoting these low prices are usually false. They are just put there so that you will come to their rental agency.
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your expertise...I am looking at the nytime.com real estate link. They look nice, they really do! About $1400 a month. The nice ones I've been seeing are still pretty close to everything; upper east side no further than the upper 85,86. Hard wood floors, yes very small, but it looks liveable. I've been to NY several times and upper east side very close to alot, subway, shopping, food! ...etc. Will somebody please look at the nytime.com real estate rent link. Oh YEAH!! I'm freaking out about the whole $50,000 salary or more annual! Is that realistic? What about students, just starting out careers, ya know that sort of thing??? My fiance does hair? (how do they do in the city?) I'm so lost, help me new yorkers!! BTW I am 21. Appreciate it you guys, thanks
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 09:09 AM

You must give us a specific URL for an apt you're looking at. Often they are not telling the truth about the address or the neighborhood.

Many students just starting out have their parents co-sign (guarantee) their apt. lease if they don't make enough money. That's common.

How do hairdressers do in NYC? It depends on where they can get a job, how good they are how ambitious they are and how hard they work. Getting into a good salon is very important. She will probably make more $$ in tips.
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 09:20 AM

Yes, it is definitely tough...when I first moved to NYC straight out of college, I had to live in NJ for awhile because I didn't have enough $$ to rent in NYC. Then I found some people to live with on the Upper East, and we split a 2 bedroom 3 ways. I lived paycheck to paycheck for >5 years.

Yes, the salary thing is often a requirement (as is good credit, too). A few years back I found an awesome 1 bedroom for $1200, but I didn't make the $64K they required, and my parents didn't make the $125K needed as a guarantor. So I was SOL.

All I can tell you is maybe you want to call some of these rental agencies (CitiHabitats is one of the big ones)to find out salary requirements and other requirements. Sometimes you can get around the salary requirement by pre-paying the 1st year's rent, but I don't know if you have that kind of money.

And if you can't find anything in Manhattan, there's still Hoboken, NJ (with tons of just-out-of-college people), Williamsburg, Brooklyn Heights...all of which have shorter commutes to most offices in the city than the Upper East Side, which, like I said, has a long walk to the subway. I cut 15-20 minutes off my commute by moving from the UES to Brooklyn. And I have so much more space!

I looked at the NYTimes Real Estate website (I often do) and see that they have photos of the same rental apartment for different prices. Which means there's lots of fake stuff on there. Especially when they don't give an address.

Old Sep 28th, 2004, 09:32 AM

What Suzanne has said about addresses is key. If the ad has no specific address - or the agent will not give you specifics - even an intersection - the ads are bogus.

Also, the financial requirements are real. You don;t say what type of job you will have - but tI assume its not going to be of the Chelsea Clinton variety ($100,000+ to start). Typically to rent a reasonable one bedroom will require 2 or 3 "starter" salaries - or co-signing by parents. (I have young cousins who moved into the city in the last 3/4 years - all shared apartments with several others - 3 in a one bedroom, 5 in a 2 bedroom - or had to have a parent co-sign - only 2 in a one bedrrom.)

If you are comfortable going to Brooklyn - or Washington Heights/Inwood (not recommended unless you have lived in a big city and are comfortable with the neighborhood - but I have friends with a huge apartment in Inwood for a great price) you have more options. I don;t reco Hoboken - cute - but not NYC.
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 09:49 AM

NYTraveler,
Now you've done it. Insulted the hometown of Sinatra! If Frank were still around, he'd have Jilly give you a piece of his mind.

You're right that Hoboken isn't NYC. But, it has multiple benefits relative to the City. One is rent. Until our recent home purchase, we rented an 1,800 square foot, 3 bedroom in a new building with an outdoor olympic sized swimming pool, free gym, spectacular views of the city for $3,900 a month.

I paid little in state taxes and zero in NYC taxes because of the repeal of the commuter tax in 1999. Commuting wise I'm in my midtown office in 25 minutes.

A martini at the lounge down the street was $8, not $12 to $15. We can actually get away with a nice dinner for two for under $100. If all that isn't enough to entice you, come try Fiore's mozzarella or a cheesesteak at Piccolo's.

Don't get me wrong, I love the city. But, unless you've walked a mile in Frank's shoes, what would you know about a life in Hoboken. (For those who recognize it, yes that last sentance was inspired by the classic Bruno Kirby rant in SpinalTap.)
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 10:31 AM

I have nothing against Hoboken - its very charming. And it is significantly less expansive than Manhattan. But, it still isn;t Manhattan (I can walk the Museum of Nat Hist or the Met in less than 10 minutes - and have 100 plus restaurants in a 6/7 block area - and the energy is completely different - never mind the incredible diversity.)

But if cost is the controlling factor - then more power to Hoboken.