Search

Apartment rentals in Houston

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apartment rentals in Houston

Hi Friends,

I am about to finish my MBA from the Univ. of Pennsylvania and may locate to Houston instead of Boston. I am a single male.

I will be working on Smith Street, very close to the former Enron building.

I was wondering what the rental scene is like in Houston? Are there high rises/apartment communities? for rent, or some other style of residence?

I would like to live in a safe neighborhood and prefer either a luxury (within reason) high rise or secure/nice apartment community

Can anyone please give me some pointers as I have never been to Houston before, and would like to know about my housing options before I make a trip, so that I can search for apartments while I am there.

Thanks a lot,
Andy
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 06:52 PM

There are lots of places to live that are close to downtown. I'd probably look at apartments in Midtown first. You could rent for a year, and then move somewhere else if you want a change. Also lots of apartments in Memorial Heights and Buffalo Speedway/Richmond area.
http://houston.citysearch.com/roundup/41344
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 08:27 PM

Hi rvccha,

I live in midtown in a townhome (I can see the enron building out of my bedroom door!). There are apartments in walking distance to enron. I would hazard a guess and say 2222 smith street is the closest (www.2222smithstreet.com). We used to live there too for a year before moving here. In the same area, there's also AMLI ( http://www.amli.com/Community/Commun...ityTag=midtown ) I have a friend that stays there and likes it. There's also The Post Midtown square which is really convenient to alot of the night life but it can get really loud. It's a younger person's party place. I have a friend who lives there too. All in all, I like 2222 Smith the best. The apartments themselves are just nicer inside - not white like all other apartments. Has ranite kitchen counter tops, beige walls with wood highlights, etc. Also nicer, bigger floor plans.

Midtown is the place to be though. You can't beat it. Walking distance to Enron and restaurants and nightlife also within blocks of you.

Good luck!
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 08:55 PM

Oh and Andy, the Post Midtown Square also has high a high rise they rent out. Those are GORGEOUS! Very modern with floor to ceiling glass walls that look out to the city.

Midtown is a very safe neighborhood. You will see some vagabonds but this is due to the urbanization going on in midtown. It's also a pretty fun area. The residents here are in the mid 20's to early 40's. Alot of young professionals. It sounds like you'll fit in nicely.

Let me know if you need more info.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 08:57 PM

meant to add don't let the vagabonds scare you. Their harmless and becoming less and less. It's a very safe neighborhood actually.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 08:59 PM

last thing, you can also go to www.har.com and search houston, 16 (central) or specifically 77002,77006, and 77019 area codes. har.com has leasing properties too you can look through.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 10:06 PM
Original Poster

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. It seems like midtown is the place to be.

Does one need a car in Houston? If so, is it safe to park?

I saw the websites of the various apartments posted on here, thanks for the info! I was a bit surprised that the Post Midtown apartments do not have washer/dryers? in the apartments?

Please keep the suggestions coming.

Also, what is the restaurant/grocery/shopping options like? Are there full service grocery stores or overpriced delis selling overpriced groceries like NYC?

Thanks,
Andy
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 11:24 PM
yk

I'm sorry to see that you're going to Houston instead of Boston (I followed your Boston apt hunting thread). I've lived in Boston and PHiladelphia, and my parents live in Houston, so I know all 3 cities quite well.

The one upside is the cost of living is much lower in Houston, compared to Boston and Philadelphia. YOu'll be able to save lots of $$$ there.

Yes, you'll need a car in Houston. Most people live in homes or 2-story apartments (land is plenty). There are some very nice high rise apts also. I'm sure the local Houstonians will be able to help.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 05:24 AM

You can't live without a car. You might check on the parking situation at specific complexes, but there is on-site parking at every apartment complex I'm familiar with. Most apartments have laundry rooms. Again, check for specifics at the different complexes. There are lots of big supermarkets. There is a new Randall's (Safeway) in Midtown.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 07:42 AM

Hi RVACCHA,

Different floor plans have or do not have washer and dryers. Most big ones do. We had the "peace" floor plan at 2222 Smith St and those had them. Just ask the leasing office for ones iwht washer and dryers.

You will most definitely need a car in houston. As already mentioned, land's a plenty here so everything is spread out. There are different sections of town that are nice. The galleria area is one - lots of shopping and nice restaurant.

In midtown, there are lots of restaurants and pubs and clubs. We have a Randall's here (about 2 blocks away from 2222 Smith). The prices there are higher than most other Randall's (on some stuff) but nothing compared to NY. There's a cvs also (about a couple of blocks the other direction).

Overall, the cost of living here is much cheaper. You will be able to save lots of money and still live fairly well. Houstonians are very nice and welcoming too, so welcome!

Maria
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 07:43 AM

Sorry, not sure you know but Randall's is a grocery store.