apartments in NYC

Apr 4th, 2005, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

apartments in NYC

I need some help from those of you that are familiar with the city. vrbo.com has two units available in august (first week), and I am hoping someone will check them out for me and tell me if they look like a good location for a family of 4 (two teenagers) who want to be in the heart of everything. They are #52524 and #54014. they are both around $200 a night, which is far cheaper than getting two hotel rooms. Thanks in advance! Breathe
Apr 4th, 2005, 08:50 PM

Well, if I'm reading this correctly, 54014 is in NEW JERSEY, so there's no way that I would stay there. I didn't see an address for 52524, but the ad says their apts are in the midtown area near Times Square, so that would be central to everything.

However, one word of caution. The worst mistake of "economizing" I ever made was renting a studio apartment in the upper West Side one year for my family (wife, self, & 2 daughters) without understanding exactly what the accomodations were. The area was wonderful, the bldg safe, but the apt. was cramped and not furnished well at all. There was a supposed queen-size bed (it was a double and I'm 6'7") for my wife and me and a very uncomfortable sleeper sofa for the girls. There was a shortage of linens, the apt. had a "funky" smell and though we didn't spend a lot of time in the room, we dreaded returning in the evening. Just a word of caution--be sure you know what you're getting in advance.
Apr 5th, 2005, 06:30 AM

NOLAFrank is correct. the first apartment is in Weehawken NJ. You would have to take a bus and then a ferry to get to Manhattan - not only time-consuming - but expensvie for a family of four.

The other listing is what looks like a basic luxury building and says its on 47th and 3rd. this is the east side of midtown, a business district and very busy. However, there are a lot of apartments a little further east and you can find restaurants and services there. There's good bus and subway service and the walk to the theater district would be about 20 minutes - about 10/15 minutes to Rock Center, Saks etc.

A perfectly reasonable location. My only caveat would be to find out the exact size of the apartment and the sleeping arrangements - some one bedroms in Manhattan can be incredibly small (I have seen some where all the bedroom holds is a small double bed pushed against the wall and a night table).
Apr 5th, 2005, 06:54 AM

Breathe: I just topped a thread from last year for you...about Hospitality Suites. Apparently it's now a Best Western property. We haven't stayed there for about five years, but found it a very good value at the time. Pleasant, clean, well-furnished. Good luck!
Apr 5th, 2005, 07:16 AM

breathe, you might also want to check www.nyhabitat.com.

I had no luck with the places on VRBO, try as I did, but just rented an apartment for a week in June from nyhabitat, and it works about the same. Our apartment is a one bedroom midtown west, but not room for 4. They have lots of possibilities, and you may do better calling them and discussing what you are looking for. The website is overwhelming and many of the ones that keep coming up are only for longer term rentals, but they have a wide variety of one week rentals as well.
Apr 5th, 2005, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all! Based on your responses, I decided to book at the Doubletree in Times Square. It is a two bedroom suite for only $269 per night and it was rated #9 in popularity on the tripadvisor website. I thought this sounded like a great location close to shopping, restaurants and touristy places. I definately want to visit ground zero, wall street, statue of Liberty, empire state building, etc... Is this a central enough location to do all of those things? Thanks, Breathe
Apr 5th, 2005, 09:16 AM

You are but a subway ride away. Patrick, who did you deal with at NY Habitat? Christophe by chance?
Apr 5th, 2005, 09:35 AM

You might want to check the Manhattan Club on redweek.com. There are postings for your price range. We just stayed there in March, for a week. Family of four, two kids. Location was outstanding and the unit had two bathrooms and kitchenette.
Apr 5th, 2005, 09:40 AM

A 2 bedroom apt for $269? Are you sure? What the Doubletree has generally are one bedrooms with a separate sitting room and bedroom. The teens would either have to share a pull out sofa in the sitting room or perhaps there are 2 large beds in the bedroom. Or maybe I'm wrong and you did in fact get a 2 bedroom. The location in Times Square is central but many of the things you mention like WTC site, Wall ST. and the SOL are all the way downtown. The Embassy Suites is all the way downtown (so less central than Times Square) but a good option for families and has suites. They also evidently have some rooms with terraces which might be quite nice in August. The Marriott Financial Center and the Millenium Hilton are also downtown near Wall St. and may offer great savings vs midtown.

If you want something closer to a real apt. with a kitchen, the Salisbury on west 57 st has proper 2 bedroom/2bathroom suites that are large.
Apr 5th, 2005, 09:52 AM

Doubletree Times Sq is a nice place but I think Mclaurie's instincts are probably correct. FOr $269, it sounds like the 2 room suite (as Mcl described), not the 2 bedroom suite (although that Doubletree does have a handful of 2 bedroomn suites). CHeck Affinia.com. They also have several suite hotels in good areas. They have 1 bedroom suites at the SHelburne that are definitely larger than the 1 bedroom suite I've seen at the Doubletree. The bedroom has either a king or 2 queens, and the living room has a sofa bed. There's also a kitchen and a dining area.
Apr 5th, 2005, 09:58 AM

As for your teens wanting to be 'in the heart of everything', there are several areas that would meet that qualification. I have 2 teens here in NYC, and I think for both of them the heart of everything would be the Village and Union Square area. FOr my 16 yr old daughter, the shopping area would be down on Broadway in SOho or St. Mark's place (for off-beat inexpensive things).
Apr 5th, 2005, 11:17 AM

Did you check www.hotels.com for your trip to see if you can get any better hotel in the price range you are looking for?

There are so many hotels in the city the last few years several more have opened and been rennovated.

You might check the Hotel Grand Union just off Madison Ave, they have a couple of suites and the price is right. The rooms are very nice and it is VERY well located near lots of shopping (Macy's, H&M, Ann Taylor, Daffy's, Boltons, Manhattan Mall, Strawberry's to name a few)

Also a on Union Square at 14th St, there is a NEW DSW Shoes and a Filene's which the teens will LOVE.

Walk down Broadway, heading toward Little Italy/Chinatown/Soho, and you will find lots of trendy stores the kids will enjoy.

August will be HOT here, so you might plan a day at Jones Beach or Fire Island, and the LIRR has package trips train/bus or train/taxi/ferry to each location. Fire Island's Sunken Forest is a fun day trip, beautiful beach with changing area/showers and a little cafe.

Have a great time planning the trip and enjoy your time in the city.
Apr 5th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

I really needed all of this advice. You are right about the doubletree. It is two rooms, not two bedrooms. I guess I need to decide the area I want to stay in first, and then pick the hotel. Union square does sound good. As long as we are close to a metro station, it doesn't matter to me where we stay, but my kids love to walk out on their own and shop and eat. Is Union Square the best place for this? I've been on the computer for 5 hours now researching NYC, and Wahington DC (5 nights), and I still have 4 nights in Philadelphia. I can use all the help I can get. I love this forum!
Apr 5th, 2005, 12:30 PM

The 1 bedroom suite at the Doubletree is approximately 440 square feet or about the size of two smallish New York hotel rooms. They have either a king or two double beds in the bedroom with a pull out sofa in the living area. Might be a bit cramped for a family of four, but no more than many other places you might find at that price, especially for two rooms.

Security is excellent, rooms are clean and comfortable with a subway station directly below the hotel. It is an extremely busy location which your teens may enjoy. Might be a good idea to hang on to your reservation until you find something better cause you can do a lot worse.
Apr 5th, 2005, 12:31 PM

Please tell us more about these teenagers. Boys or girls or both? How many beds do you need? Any special interests?

There is nowhere that's going to be near everything and while I agree with wantsomesun about Union Square area being convenient, there aren't very many decent hotels there. I think the idea of checking the Manhattan Club is an excellent one. It's a hotel/time share property that has very nice large apts. if you can get a good one at a good price.

It sounds like you'd ideally need a 2 bed/2 bath apt. at the best possible price. With a good subway and bus system, no place is too far as long as it's IN Manhattan. Don't mimimize the heat factor in August. You want someplace with good a/c.
Apr 5th, 2005, 12:40 PM

To Michelle, no actually it was Julien.
I had being doing some emails back and forth before looking for a monthly rental and hadn't had any luck -- I think that was Christophe, but I won't swear to that. They kept sending me emails about apartments that had nothing to do with what I was looking for -- wrong area, too big, only a studio -- whatever. And mostly their commissions on those monthly ones were horrible. He kept telling me they couldn't commit to a single month until close to the time of arrival and then only if it was still available.

Anyway, one day looking on line at the "vacation" rental division, I found this one and just sent in the inquiry form. I got an immediate email back from Julien saying it was available, there was "no commission" (built in I guess) and so we took it.

Here's the apartment, fortunately available by the week. We're staying 8 nights. Not spectacular, but I think I like the location (9th and 51st), it is at least "colorful", and I liked the price plus being able to settle on something and then get our airfare and theatre tickets booked.

http://www.nyhabitat.com./new-york-a...vacation/11462
Apr 5th, 2005, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

My teenagers are 14 (girl)and 15(boy). All day we plan to sightsee using the metro or subway, etc, but in the late afternoon or evening, it would be nice to come back to a place that was safe, so the kids could walk around by themselves and shop or eat. For example, this summer we went to europe for ten weeks. Every major city we visited, we stayed in a central location so the kids could just walk out of the hotel and across the street there were clothing shops, shoe stores, music stores, all types of food,etc.. That is what I am looking for. I am looking into the Manhattan club and every other place that came recommended, but right now I am researching the different neighborhoods. I'm willing to spend $400 a night max, and my frist choice would be to have two hotel rooms just for the two bathrooms! I don't need fancy (everytime i say that I cringe, because god help me, I do love fancy), but the place has to be nice. I need clean sheets, clean carpets and comfortable beds. Call me shallow and lacking character, but the newer the better. Thank you for taking the time to respond, and if I can return the favor, I would be happy to.
Apr 5th, 2005, 01:44 PM

Thanks for the response Patrick. I noticed that some of the agents at NY Habitat were a little... how shall I say... flighty? Christophe was very helpful with us so hopefully it wasn't him. I've referred quite a few people to him so I really HOPE it wasn't him. The comission we paid for the Lincoln Center apartment for my parents was built in to the monthly rent we paid.
Apr 5th, 2005, 01:54 PM

The main commission problem I was having is that the one month rentals they were finding for me were normally a three month minimum. And the commission was the same for one month as it would be for a three month rental.
The more I think about it, Christophe does not sound like the person I was getting the emails from.
I never spoke with anyone on the phone, my contacts were all through email as I never got seriously interested in anything until this short term one came up.
Apr 5th, 2005, 02:41 PM

Try www.furnishedquarters.com

I think they list their prices as monthly, but they do rent by the week. For kids, I would think their Village or Upper West Side apartments would be the most suitable, but I think they're running a special rate on one of their downtown locations.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO