Concierge Services

Aug 7th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Concierge Services

We are planning a trip to Toronto later this fall. The hotel we frequent quite often has higher rates than we have ever paid or expected to ! We have a casual relationship with the head concierge and am wondering if it is
out of line to call and ask for her
to assist us with room rates ? Is
the concierge service there just for booking day trips, last minute show tickets , etc ? Sherri
Aug 7th, 2008, 06:24 PM

I work at a luxury resort and I understand the issues related to high rates. Your question brings up a few issues. First, a concierge is there to service the guest and they really have nothing to do with reservations and rates. (Even if they could help with the rate it may not be enough to make a significant difference). Second, it would put your friend in a bad position if you did ask and put a strain on a casual relationship. Truthfully, if you feel the hotel is too much money, there are plenty of places that you can afford that would be perfectly comfortable. How much would you enjoy your stay there if you were stressing about the bill? One either has to call it a splurge and be happy, or stay someplace less expensive.
Aug 7th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

sherri_lp
Thank you. That is exactly the
straight forward answer I was looking for and thought that may be
the case of compromising the relationship. THat is not something
I would do over $$. We will either
pick a little different time frame
or possibly stay one less night.
It's a 'do-able' price, just not one
we are accustomed to paying at that
property.
Thanks/Sherri
Aug 7th, 2008, 06:54 PM

At the same time, it would not seem inappropriate (to me anyway) to call the hotel yourself. Speak to a manager, explain that you are a frequent and long time guest. Let them know that you are coming and when but were a bit surprised at the increase in rates over your previous stays, then politely ask if they can do anything to help you. At the very worst they will say no. At the best they could make some adjustment or upgrade your accomodations. You will have explored the options without causing any strain on your relationship.
Aug 7th, 2008, 07:20 PM

Keep in mind that Autumn is big business in some places (NYC has highest rates in October) and rate concessions may not be that easy but it doesn't hurt to ask - and if you have a relationship with the reservations manager that would get you a little further.