Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

luxury hotels for the independant traveller

Apr 4th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Time and time again I read in this forum that solo/indepe. travellers should go to China on their own with no bookings and regarding hotels, they should just negotiate the price of their stays. My question is, if I want to stay in a luxury hotel (like St Regis in Beijing or the Four Seasons in Shanghai) is that also the case? If yes, how much, if anything could I negotiate their rates compared to tour companies rates?
Also for these types of hotel, bookings are secured with a credit card and usually for a established rate... where does the negotiation fit in and don't I run the risk that they charge my card anyway? I hope someone can help me.
Thanks in advance.
Apr 4th, 2005, 06:40 PM

i can't imagine going without reservations unless it was during very low season...picture this: arrive beijing about 5PM....taxi drives you to xyz lux hotel....you approach the front desk and inquire about rooms...they quote you $500 per nite....you ask for a lower rate...they say there are none....you leave for the next hotel on your list...same thing on this time its $700....DOES THIS MAKE ANY SENSE WHILE ON VACATION.... by the way would you do this in LA or NYC???

make reservations before you go and be secure...there are great buys on the internet if you look around...contact the hotel in advance and ask for their best rate....ask about discounts....

unless you want to risk sleeping in miss saigon's hut, i would not go without reservations...

now you could make a one day res and shop once you are there, but then who wants to waste time doing this...settle for a lesser hotel and concentrate on what you are there for...

others will disagree i am sure, but this is my opinion
Apr 5th, 2005, 02:20 AM

I think those who made reservations as they went along were not doing it for luxury hotels. That is certainly advisable when you want a local hotel or backpacker type.

The best way to get a great rate at a "better" hotel is by calling the actual property directly and seeing what they have to offer. It may be an expensive phone call, but it might prove worthwhile.

Or contact the property directly through email, not the central booking office on their main web page. If you email them directly they may have a special.

I agree 100% with rhkkmk that it is not advisable to show up without reservations for the first night, and it is unlikely worth it to spend a day hunting down a better rate at another property.

If you want to be a bit risky, go to lastminute.com and play a game of "beat the clock" to see if what you want comes up!
Apr 5th, 2005, 02:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the previous replies. I agree with both of you but was curious to get other views, since as mentioned, I usually read on these forums about just showing up and negotiating the fares....
Apr 5th, 2005, 06:58 AM

I agree that for lux hotels, I wouldn't show up and negotiate. Emailing the hotel is one way to get a good price. I'd start by checking out prices at a well-known discount website (I use asiahotels.com) so you know what you can get it for on your own. If the hotel is part of a large chain (Hyatt, Sheraton, etc) their website or 800 number may give you a better price than the hotel itself will. Check out enough of the options so you know what a good price is. Personally, I've very picky about the places I stay, so I always book ahead.
Apr 5th, 2005, 09:59 AM

Showing up without reservations works well if you don't particularly care where you stay. If you have a specific luxury property in mind, it's best to make advance reservations. As far as Shanghai goes, hotel rates and occupancy levels for 4-5 star properties (especially those with international brand name recognition) are dictated primarily by business travelers and convention/event schedules. When a major event is in town, you'd be lucky to even find a room at some of the more popular hotels. In Shanghai, rates at 4-5 star hotels generally drop on weekends (barring any special events) and public holidays when business travelers head home. That's when you may see attractive discounts (frequently advertised in the local expat publications but difficult to find out about here). You could try calling directly. These discounts aren't generally available through a chain's 800 central reservations number or website. They're aimed mostly at locals and expats as last minute weekend/holiday getaways.
Apr 6th, 2005, 02:42 AM

You might try giving a Hong Kong agency a go at it. I've used them a few times b4 on flights and hotels.
Goodway Travel- Grace Lee
[email protected]
852-2732-2323
469 Nathan Rd.,kowloon

I thought the prices were excellent and she got back to me quickly.