Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Have you ever gone on vacation without hotel reservations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2004, 12:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a little getaway to a Florida Island (Sanibel). It's off season - late summer - and I was thinking of just driving there and finding a hotel I like and taking my chances.

Have other people gone away without reservations and what have been your experiences? Better rates as walk-ins or not?
Thanks.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 03:36 AM

In the US I have gone many times without reservations as long as its not a peak season for the destination. The walk-in rates are not that different in my experience. The big negative is that you get what you get if you don't want to spend your entire vacation hotel hunting. I am not familiar with Sanibel so I cannot advice on the chances there.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 05:25 AM

Much to my husbands dislike, I prefer to travel without reservations and usually do. We like driving holidays and I never know in advance where I will want to be spending more (or less) time until I get there. So our holidays often consist of arriving somewhere, deciding I like it, and spending a bit of time scoping out where I want to stay. This is the part my husband dislikes: driving around looking at hotels to satisfy my "curiosity", lol! Availability usually isnt the issue, the time you may spend looking around is.

I have noticed however in the past few years more and more hotels are offering such great deals on their websites for off season travel that it is getting harder to find the "great walk in rates" that I used to get. But those same website rates are usually offered to walk ins. So no penalty to just walking in, IMHO, off season anyway. I have stayed in a fabulous penthouse suite of the Registry Resort in Flordia for example, for $100 per night, as a walk in, in the dead time of September. Last November in Banff found a great place for $125 when their lowest advertised rate was $175 on their website and when I called the rate was $150, but when I walked in it was given to me for another $25 off and they threw in breakfast. A few years ago I stayed at the Hyatt in Bonita Springs off season, I cant remember the rate now but we had booked a good deal on their website with spa credits etc, when we went back to stay there again a few days later after checking out of another hotel we didnt like as much, we got the same (but no longer available) rate and they bumped us up to a nice two room suite when I asked about a couch in a room instead of just chairs. I spend a lot of time in Florida in the off season and have never had a problem there. I am planning on doing the same thing again this September/October. So my experience with off season travel has been great for the most part. I say if you are adventurous, go for it.

What I have found is more so than a better walk in rate is that hotels are more willing to give you upgrades. You are there, you are paying a decent rate, so why not just give you a nicer/larger room on a club floor or something. I tend to spend a fair bit at a property, so while talking to the front desk staff while deciding if I am checking in or not I am asking about the spa, the room service menu, restaurants on site etc. Perhaps this helps them decide that I am a "good client" to have check in. A few years ago I spent 3 weeks plus touring around eastern Canada, never once had a reservation, and only one night did we find ourselves in a pickle, but thats a whole other story! This upcoming trip of mine to the Grand Canyon, LV, and Sedona in a few weeks will be the first holiday I am taking where the majority of my hotels will all be prebooked, just the nature of this trip and although my husband is thrilled, I am feeling anxious about it! LOL. We are definitely opposites in this regard. But I am able to cancel any I dont like of course! Just in case. But thats the type of holidays I prefer, just wandering around and deciding as I go. Schedules and I aren't a good mix

My worst holiday was a trip to Cancun where we were on a week prepaid hotel & air type of deal. The hotel was not great and I was ticked. Same money for another hotel in the same chain a few blocks down was a fabulous property, upon returning my agent tells me he thought that he had booked us into the nicest one, not the older property. Same money, but night and day difference. I was so ticked that I couldnt just change hotels upon seeing the one we had. Thats why I guess I hate being locked into something. I figure if I am spending 200,300, or 400 hundred a night for a room I want it to be what I like. Hope this helps you decide! Have fun.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 06:02 AM

We've done that a few times, and have always been annoyed at ourselves for wasting time on vacation finding a hotel. Sometimes it has taken hours, and sometimes we've had to pay much more than we wanted. It's just not for us.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 06:03 AM

Only when I had time to kill. You might also have to stay somewhere that otherwise would not attract you.
Some people enjoy taking chances and end up finding something very nice.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies and advice. The 'new' rule now is if you book a room reservation and have to cancel, your credit card is charged a $25-40 cancellation fee. My plans change often and don't want to eat that charge.
I think I'll take my chances and be daring and not book a hotel. How many people have booked a hotel based on the internet reviews and been disappointed?
I'd much rather see first hand.
I don't get a whole lot of vacation time and when I do, I want it to be as close to my dream as possible.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 11:07 AM
Jayne1973

Funny, the only place I've really done that was England, where it worked great with the B&B system. In the U.S., I've often been frustrated with trying to find a place at a reasonable price when I just stop and get a room. I guess it just depends on how flexible and/or picky you are, and how important the room price is.
If I were taking a spur of the moment trip, I'd try to get online somewhere down the road and find a sweet Priceline deal.

Old Aug 10th, 2004, 11:37 AM

I agree with Sherry and my husband gets equally annoyed. When my grandmother was in her 70s and 80s, she and I did alot of traveling this way. We shared the driving and just took off to see what was interesting. We never found a truly great place to stay but neither did we ever stay at a truly awful place. We did find lots of great places to eat, had some wonderful times and met lots of interesting people. I miss her and our adventures.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 12:15 PM

My husband and I never used to book a hotel in advance until our first trip to San Francisco. We went from hotel to hotel but there was absolutely nothing available. We finally got a tiny "cubbyhole" that was part of a two-bedroom suite at I believe the Westin St. Francis but we only had it for one night as it was booked for the rest of the week. We stayed the one night but then had to find a place to stay for the remainder of the trip. Ended up in a fleabag motel. Needless to say, after driving around endlessly looking at rundown properties, wasting our previous vacation time, we were at each other's throats. We've never done spur-of-the-moment since. In fact it took as a number of years before we would even go back to San Francisco.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 12:39 PM

Only as a kid 45 years ago.
M
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 12:46 PM

I think what the difference is is whether or not you are traveling to a big conference destination. The Moscone Center in San Francisco has some huge conferences, and all the hotels around can be booked solid.

My suggestion if you are going to try this hotel shopping in a big city. Figure out where the convention center is, look up their website, see if there will be a conference when you are there, find out which hotels they are recommending,... and then head to the OTHER side of town!

For San Francisco, head south along the BART line and look for hotels there. You can then easily hop on BART to get back into the City.

Places for vacationers only may have more openings. Yosemite's camping grounds, for example, are amazingly clear mid-week in October, and it is still quite lovely there. Reason: the waterfalls are all dried up for the most part and the bears are hungrier with fewer tourists to rob. Use the steel lockers provided for ALL food. Bears can rip open cars, no problem.

Take along a tent and sleeping bags just in case. We've slept in the back of the SUV in a pinch.

Ann Zeise
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 01:03 PM
hsv

garifel,

not having to make reservations ahead for most of the time and still being able to find me some nice properties is a freedom I treasure most when travelling to the U.S.

I find it much more uncomplicated to proceed like that in America, where it is almost always possible to find something at least nice and clean, if the more comfy options should indeed be sold out, than in Europe where standards vary much more and (at least for my feeling) more people tend to book ahead causing more of the nicer properties to be sold out.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 01:46 PM
Syv

Almost always go with NO reservations.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 02:01 PM

Never travel without a reservation - I very much enjoy agonizing over my decision and prefer to do this from the comfort of my home
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 03:46 PM

We usually book first and last nights when traveling by air, but wing it otherwisw. Have done this on several trips to Europe as well as in the US. Only almost slept in the car once in Bath, England!
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 03:53 PM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
garifel - a couple of years ago we hopped in the car and drove down the west coast of Florida with no reservations. We just stopped when we felt like it and this was during July 4th week. Sanibel was the only place we had to go to a 2nd hotel to find a room and it was no big deal. I'm sure you'll do fine.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 03:54 PM

I agree with seetheworld..I have to make reservations in advance for Everything! Hotels, cars, plays, museums, whatever! Otherwise, I panic at the thought that I won't be able to do something when I get there...
( the Yankee says it is about Control)
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 06:48 PM
bluestructure

I always make reservations cuz you can indeed find some great deals at some really nice hotels online. If I go on a road trip and not exactly sure where I want to stay, I'll make a few reservations online and decide that day where i wanna stop. Just bring the phone # to the other hotels and cancel. Ive booked with hotels directly and places such as hotels.com and yahoo travelocity and have never paid any cancellation fees. But yeh it is good to make them or at least bring a list of hotels in the area you will be driving so you wont have to waste time driving around or miss any good hotels.

Old Aug 11th, 2004, 09:19 AM
GoTravel

Yes, I have done this in Florida.

Last fall my husband and I just decided to take off for two weeks and road trip.

We went to South Beach to see my sis and her husband (stayed at the Doubletree Surfcomber because her condo is small and we like our privacy).

We drove up A1A and stopped where we felt like stopping and kept going when we felt like driving. We stayed in South Beach, Hollywood, Ft. Lauderdale, Cocoa Beach, New Smyrna, Daytona, St. Augustine, Ponte Vedra, and Jekyll Island. We didn't have reservations anywhere.

The most we paid was $78 for The Riverview House in New Smyrna and it was a B&B and included breakfast, bathrobes, bikes, etc and was very worth the price.

We had a blast and I'd do it all over again. The only down side was one mom & pop place we pulled in took one look at my husband's SUV and tried to charge us over $100. We left.

We had fishing gear, beach chairs, a huge cooler full of food and drinks, boom box, floats and all kinds of stuff so we could stop and picnic along the way.

Did I say I'd do it all over again and not change a thing? We had so much fun and I cherish that vacation with him.

Old Aug 11th, 2004, 07:41 PM

I don't travel without reservations any more. I was burned once in Las Vegas - no rooms and we had to spend the night in the car; and once in Carmel - there was a major gulf tournament we were unaware of.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -