Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Comfort Inn, Downtown/Convention Center?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2004, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't been able to find any reviews for this hotel in DC at 1201 13th St NW. The location looks good for my purposes, but the low rate ($101) makes me wonder . . . anyone have first-hand comments? Prices are very high and options are limited for my travel dates (June 23-26).
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 11:03 AM

I see what you mean. There are only a couple of references on www.tripadvisor.com and in both cases, it appears that they may not actually refer to the hotel in question. FWIW, it looks like you have a great rate, compared to what some of the sites are offering the hotel for. In looking at those dates on several sites that I use to book when I travel to DC, it certainly appears that there is enough activity to support high rates during the period. Some of my usual digs aren't available at all and at others, the rates are more than I've ever paid. Even some that are a bit out of the way look a bit on the pricey side.

Hopefully, someone with more local savvy can help out on your question. Just eyeballing it with my somewhat limited knowledge of the specific neighborhood, it wouldn't be my first choice but it doesn't look particularly scary to me, either.
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 12:05 PM

Not sure what your purposes are. Would not suggest it for a family vacation, for example. It's just north of downtown and in a transitional area tht used to be so-so but (very) recently has a ton of luxury condos going up. The nearest Metro (McPhearson Sq) is 5 blocks away at 14th & I st. Dupont Circle and it's dining/shopping/nightlife is an 8 block walk up Mass Ave. I would consider a taxi if going due east to/from the convention center very late at night. All areas west and south of the hotel are fine at any time. If I was travelling alone and price was an issue, then I would probably stay there.
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 04:46 PM

I live in the DC area and wouldn't even consider that location. It's terrible. Combine that with a Comfort Inn and this sounds like a bad vacation.
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 05:02 PM

Have you tried www.washingtondchotels.com?
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 07:08 PM

It's a new hotel, probably why you aren't getting much help. I don't think it is an awful neighborhood but I also agree it's not a great neighborhood for a family vacation. The neighborhood is transitioning and definitey improving by leaps and bounds. It is fairly close to the Sheraton Four Points.

If you are here for business (or pleasure) and comfortable in uirban neighborhoods, you will be fine.
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 07:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone, for your feedback. It's not a family vacation; it's just me, and I'm comfortable in urban neighborhoods. On the 24th I'll be attending events on Capitol Hill and at Georgetown, and the rest of the time I'll be sightseeing around the Mall. I've been scouring the internet for affordable options (no more than $120-130) and finding very little. I also bid up to $100 on Priceline and couldn't even get a 2.5-star hotel, which I think is unusual.

I'm not sure what to consider next. On Quikbook I can get the Washington Plaza for $135, the Henley Park for $134, or the Morrison Clark for $153. washingtondchotels.com has the Best Western Capitol Skyline for $139, the Best Western New Hampshire Suites for $129, and the Days In Connecticut Ave for $109. None of these are very appealing, but maybe I'm missing something?
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 08:01 PM

I always stay in the Dupont Circle area, so I'm a bad person to ask, but here's a theory I've heard before and we will throw it out there for people to either agree with or debunk:

"Center the face of a clock over the District of Columbia. Don't stay anywhere between midnight and 5 a.m."
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 04:06 AM

Here's my 2 cents on the other places you're looking at.
Washington Plaza, Henley Park, & Morrison Clark are all in the same kind of area as the Comfort Inn so there is really no "neighborhood advantage" although the rooms might be nicer. I wouldn't stay at the Best Western Capitol Skyline unless you are prepared to taxi every time you leave the hotel - it can be that unsafe. The Best Western New Hampshire Suites and the Days Inn Connecticut Ave are both in very, very safe neighborhoods although not quite as central. I suggest you get something soon, this is high season in DC.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 06:48 AM

I agree with everything Bardo said. If it were me, I would chance the Comfort Inn given the price.

"Center the face of a clock over the District of Columbia. Don't stay anywhere between midnight and 5 a.m."

Well, it's an interesting theory. Potentially racist, but interesting. The problem is the city is changing, so there are lots of areas that 5-10 years ago that were considered "marginal" with prostitutes and drug dealers than now have nice boutique hotels, high-end restaurants, and a Starbucks on every corner. With the Convention Center moving further northeast a few blocks, there is an increase in the number of hotels in the area that your theory would exclude.