Washington D.C. - Days Inn Connecticut Avenue

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2004, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a trip to DC next year and found a rate for the Days Inn on Connecticut Avenue of $79 a night. Since this is such a good price, I was wondering if anyone can tell me anything about this hotel? I was thinking that Connecticut Avenue runs through the Dupont area, but wondered if this hotel is located in that neighborhood?
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 02:09 PM

I've never been in the hotel, so can't comment on that. I think its the kind of place where student gropus stay -- decent, but no amenities?? It is located in upper northwest, above the neighborhood known as Cleveland Park, as you travel north toward the Van Ness area. Convenient to metro's red line that takes you downtown, but it is not a downtown hotel. And if I picture it correctly, its very close to, if not next door to, a car wash. Its mostly a residential neighborhood with commercial establishments up and down Conn Ave.
Old Dec 21st, 2004, 04:14 AM

It's in Woodley Park, and near the metro. But the rooms are incredibly tiny--my parents stayed there for my graduation and had to crawl out the bottom of the bed because there was no room between the bed and the wall.

You're a fair distance north of Dupont. Easy ride on the metro, but a quick look at tripadvisor shows a lot people are saying the place is dirty.
Old Dec 21st, 2004, 08:23 AM

I can't comment on the Days Inn that you mentioned. You may want to try the Holiday Inn in Rosslyn, VA. I remember this hotel being very close to the blue line subway (3 blocks) and just across the Potomac from D.C. I also remember the rooms being a nice sized and not smaller than average. You may want to go on the Internet and go to hotels.com or some other site that has discounted hotel rates to maybe match the $79 a night.
Old Dec 21st, 2004, 10:30 AM

That's an OK rate. I've never stayed there, but I know the location well.

The area's fine, but boring. Metro's close, but this is far upper NW -- although a short Metro trip to Dupont Circle. My guess is that with Priceline you could get a much nicer hotel in a livelier area with better amenities.

Post your dates and maybe some folks could give you more options in your price range.
Old Dec 21st, 2004, 10:43 AM

It's not in Woodley Park, it's in Van Ness. The neighborhood is fine and perfectly safe, if a little uninteresting. You are three stops to DuPont Circle and two stops to Friendship Heights, with lots of shopping.

I've had family stay there and describe it as small but more than adequate.
Old Dec 21st, 2004, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to those of you who have replied. I am planning this trip for mid September - we will be in the city Sunday thru Wednesday. I have found prices to be very high. Maybe I'm trying to book too far in advance?

I am planning to try bidding on Priceline (which I've never done before), but want to make a reservation in case that doesn't work out.

We don't plan to be in the room much. Just want a place that is clean and in a safe neighborhood - my daughter and I will be traveling together.

We have previously stayed in the Dupont area and really liked that neighborhood. I assume Dupont is one of the areas for Priceline bidding. Are there other areas we should consider bidding on?

I've also thought about staying outside the city. Are Rosslyn, Alexandria & Crystal City the best choices?
Old Dec 21st, 2004, 05:46 PM

Dupont is a great area to stay in, unfortunately Priceline's definition of that zone is too broad to be useful. There have been lots of past threads here on Fodors regarding Washington DC, Priceline, and hotels. Check them out via the "search" function above. You must also go to www.biddingfortravel.com to learn all about using Priceline.
Old Dec 21st, 2004, 06:36 PM

Mid-September is a busy time in DC. Congress is in session, lots of conferences and meetings, Also, nine months away is probably not going to see lots of deals. They come as hotels need to get rid of rooms.
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 08:21 AM

MikeT's right--it is Van Ness. That was stupid of me.

For priceline outside the city, Rossyln is your best bet.
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 08:35 AM

I had the misfortune to stay at the Conn. Ave. Days Inn for one night. We were booked for two nights, but escaped after one. We actually chose the place because of its location--we needed to be right in that vicinity, and figured we'd be OK since it was supposedly a 5* Days Inn. Please understand, we are not hotel snobs, but we do have certain minimum standards, and believe in getting value for your money. However, as previously mentioned, the room was extremely tiny, it was not clean, the beds were horrible, things were broken or missing, and it was very depressing for the price (I think we paid $99). On the plus side, there is a very good Italian restaurant next door, that I think is part of the hotel. It's called Tesoro, or something like that. If you don't need to be in that particular area (and it sounds like you don't) my advice would be try the suburbs, as others have mentioned.
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 09:55 AM

For locations outside of the city, try Crystal City, Pentagon City and Old Town Alexandria. You may have luck finding a decent rate near the King St metro - there is a Hampton Inn, Embassy Suites and Hilton all within a block radius. The drawback is that you still have to walk about 10-15 mins to Old Town but the weather should be nice for walking and there are plenty of shops and restaurants along the way.
Old Dec 23rd, 2004, 01:19 AM

King Street Metro stop is IN Old Town, not a 10-15 walk away. After all, it only takes about 18 minutes (used to walk it everyday during lunch) to walk from that part of King Street to the river, which is where OT obviously ends.

There's also a Residence Inn about 2 blocks from the metro.

I love OT, but it all depends on what your interests are in the DC area. If you're planning to spend all of your time sightseeing in DC, then either stay in the city or Rosslyn. OT is still convenient enough to downtown, but it takes longer on the metro, where Rossyln is one stop away from the city.

I would avoid Crystal City. The hotels there are FILLED to the rafters with high school tour groups. And it's not called the Concrete Jungle for nothing.