Coastal Maine - Help

Search

Coastal Maine - Help

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2003, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coastal Maine - Help

My husband and I are planning a vacation to coastal Maine in early September. We are driving from Providence and have a week for our vacation. We have not been to the area before and most of the posts that I have found are fairly old - especially for places to stay. Any help would be truly appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jul 5th, 2003, 11:20 AM

What type of trip are you planning?

Replys might be different if you are planning an outdoorsy/hiking type trip, than a shopping/antiqueing/ type trip.

Are you looking for B&Bs or hotels? Approx. how much would you like to spend per night? Would you prefer to stay in one spot, or travel?
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Plans have changed. We are now looking to travel at the end of July instead of September and we don't have reservations anywhere and I am getting nervous that we won't be able to find anything at this late date. We are looking to just relax and get away, although we aren't big shoppers more of the outdoorsy type. Recommendations - please. Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 01:43 PM

For a very good website to find accommodations in Maine check out the Maine Innkeepers website at maineinns.com. I use this all of the time when I go to Maine. Links to all of kinds of properties, from motels to B&B's. Many listings. Good luck.
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 02:10 PM

Try http://www.samoset.com or for something different http://www.linekinbayresort.com
for a listing of lots of places
http://www.resortsandlodges.com/index.html

You are pretty much last minute so you might find many sold out.
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 03:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
www.billowhouse.com
www.beloins.com
www.asticou.com
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your help. I am researching tonight to try to find someplace to make last minute reservations.
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 05:55 PM

My husband and I have been to Maine a few times in September. The first time we went we only had reservations the first night we were there (Bailey's Island), the rest of the time we just winged it. The next time that we went (again in Sept.) the hotels seemed to be booked up. We went to Bar Harbor and had to spend the night in the worst B & B we have ever been in because we didn't think it would be a problem getting a room that time of the year. We based that on our previous travel experience, same time of year, and same location. Next time we will have some kind of cancellable reservations.
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 09:59 PM

I've stayed at the Samoset resort in Rockland. Very nice, reasonable prices. My husband had a formal dinner/dance there during his jr. year of college (Maine Maritime). I think that there were about 200 college kids there. Tubs were full of beer and other booze. You could move from room to room to get different drinks. One room had margaritas another had long islands you get the picture. We had a late check out. When we walked down the hall the maids had the doors to all the rooms open and we could see bottles and cans everywhere. The hotel said thanks for coming, please don't hold your dinner here again.

If you're looking for a quiet B&B try the Castine Inn in Castine (on Penobsoct Bay near Acadia). Very nice rooms, great food. You can take a walk up the road to Dyce's Head lighthouse. The Maine Maritime Acadmey training ship will be back by then so most of the college students should be gone. If you go, have a sandwitch at Bah's Bakehouse. They also have great homemade soup and baked goods. Four Flags offers historical info on the town. Castine is just a great place to go to relax and get away from it all. The town doesn't even have a stop light.
Castine is so nice that my husband has talked of moving there and teaching at the college.
Old Jul 19th, 2003, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for everyone's help. We have narrowed our decision down to the Spruce Point Inn or the Ocean Point Inn. Any reviews/recommendations for either?