A couple of Letterman show questions...

Jul 18th, 2003, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

A couple of Letterman show questions...

I was lucky enough to score "gold tickets" to Monday night's Letterman taping for my wife and I, and was wondering a couple of things. First, is seating "general admission"; if so, after picking up your tickets between 3 and 4, should you go ahead and stand in line to be seated? Second, while I'm sure pictures aren't allowed to be taken during the taping, can you bring cameras inside the theater and perhaps take some pics before the taping?
Jul 18th, 2003, 12:15 PM
GoTravel

They heard you in like cattle. You stand in line where and when they tell you. You cannot even get up out of your seat to use the bathroom. I think all photos are forbidden. You stand on line for tickets, you have a small intro, you get an hour break, then you get back on line. There is no freedom to this.

Jul 18th, 2003, 02:46 PM

Do not forget that the studio is FREEZING ! Somewhere in the 50+ degree range, so be prepared and dress accordingly.
Jul 18th, 2003, 03:21 PM

djdave:
How did you "score" tickets and what are "gold tickets"? I am planning a trip to NY in the future and would LOVE to go see Dave. I've always been a huge fan, don't know what the fuss is about Leno, and would like to make that a part of my trip.
Jul 18th, 2003, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Cassidy,

I signed up for tickets on the CBS website a couple of months ago, and until last week figured I wouldn't be going since I didn't receive a phone call. Then someone from the show called me and said there had been a cancellation on the 21st; would I be interested in a pair of tickets? (Duhhh.) Of course, I had to answer a trivia question first (What kind of business does Rupert G. run?); I answered correctly (Hello Deli), and scored "Gold" tickets, which I think means that we're definitely getting in, as opposed to being on standby. Just luck, I guess. Hope you have the same good luck!
Jul 18th, 2003, 07:15 PM
GoTravel

All of the tickets are the same. Gold, platinum, silver, purple, there is no difference. They just tell you that to make sure you show up.

Jul 18th, 2003, 08:02 PM

GoTravel:
I sense that you have a beef w/ dave?
Jul 19th, 2003, 02:30 AM

Listen to above poster - it is FREEZING in the studio - one of Letterman's "things" Bring something warm - but they won't let you wear a coat (not that you would have one with you in July anyway)
Jul 19th, 2003, 09:55 AM
GoTravel

No, I don't have a beef with Dave at all. I did the exact same thing djdave did and was told we had platinum tickets. I actually enjoyed the show and I love Dave.

Jul 19th, 2003, 01:40 PM

Was in the audience a few years ago, so here's my info for how it worked when we went. They tell you to get in line with the postcard (you probably received it in the mail) at 3pm, but a line usually begins forming at the door to the theater an hour or so prior to that. Once you're in line, at the assigned time the staff will move you inside and exchange your postcard for a numbered ticket and instruct you to return at a later time (possible way to get a better seat: act really enthusiastic and excited in front of the staff).

At that assigned later time (no need to get there early) you will get in a new line and be taken into a building across the street (we were taken to the Roseland Ballroom) where everyone is given some general instructions and information about how the taping works (also a good opportunity to use the bathroom). Following that, they will guide you in line over to the theater in your numbered ticket order. It seemed that the lower the number on your ticket, the better seat you get. However, just because you have a number (we were 12 & 13) that does not mean that you are that number person walking inside - there are at least two different sets of numbered tickets. With our numbers we ended up seated in the front row right in front of the band, next to the side door (which, unfortunately, was not used during the show).

I'm not sure about pictures before the show (I don't think you can take any then), but afterward some people stayed and took some pictures of the set. After the taping you might want to stand around outside the stage door (it's on the left side of the building) and watch or take pictures of the band, staff, and possible guests coming and going.

As far as the temperature goes, we went a few years ago during a REALLY HOT summer, brought sweaters or sweatshirts in case the studio was really cold, but didn't use the sweatshirts. Maybe we were so hot already that the cold felt really good for the 1 1/2 hours or so that we were inside!

Have fun!