Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Traveling to Maine (1st time) doing the coast, Does anyone have cottages they would recommend?

Traveling to Maine (1st time) doing the coast, Does anyone have cottages they would recommend?

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 09:17 AM
SA

Looking for space for my wife & infant daughter in a central location (close to Acadia)easily accessible yet by itself. It appears there are many places w/cottages on top of each other but I am having difficulty finding singular cottages removed from people. Also looking for 'must sees', best hikes, etc. There is a lot of info & it is a bit overwhelming. Is 1 week - 10 days enough?

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 12:16 PM
ttt

topping

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 02:39 PM
topping

ttt

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 09:22 PM
jill

What time of year are you visiting? . Cottages are usually only available May June July August.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 09:24 PM
Brenda

You will find tons of information on lodging at the Maine Innkeepers Association website at maineinns.com. Please check it out. It is arranged by town so click onto the Bar Harbor link to see properties for the Acadia area, everything from inns, B&b''s, hotels, motels, cabins. Good luck, and enjoy Acadia. It is beautiful.

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 06:27 AM
SA

We'll be traveling in June. There are many out there, that's why I'm hoping someone has had a good experience they could share to help narrow the field. On the water would be an added benefit. Thx, SA

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 08:47 AM
K

We stayed at Rose Eden Cottages (www.roseeden.com) in Sept of 2000. The newer cottages are back from the road, and if I remember, there were a lot of trees/vegetation around them (a bit parklike, maybe); they were roomy, well-decorated, and clean, and I would recommend them. The cottages are grouped together, of course, but I didn't find them too close to be a problem. I would suspect the older cottages are fine too, but a little closer to the road, so I don't know if you would notice the traffic or not. They are NOT in town, but they are on the island on the way to town, and we found the location to be convenient. I don't think you can walk to anything from there, though.

We enjoyed the Precipice & Beehive hikes (non-technical climbing), but I doubt you'd want to do that with an infant. The park visitor's center can recommend hikes, and I think if you go to www.nps.gov and select Acadia, I think there was a link to hikes. There are carriage rides on the carriage roads, and those looked fun (if a bit tame.) You can also rent bikes to go on the carriage roads. We also did sea-kayaking, but again, couldn't do that with an infant, but there are probably some boat trips.

Bar Harbor itself is a really cute town with some good restaurants and neat shops.

I would suspect a week is more than enough time to see everything. We only stayed for a couple of days.

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 09:19 AM
Liz

I can recommend a book that I found really useful for deciding on hikes, etc. I found the descriptions really good:

An Outdoor Family Guide to Acadia National Park
by Lisa Gollin Evans

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 11:05 AM
SA

Thanks to all for the info so far...based on the pics I've seen it should be a very interesting trip. SA

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 04:59 AM
tt.

topping

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 08:38 AM
x.x.

Very nice area! I don't know of cottages that are isolated. I have stayed in a B and B and a cottage that was in a cluster. Camden is a fun town with beautiful views. Rockland is nice. Has the Wyeth museum. There is a hike to the top Mt. Battie, from Camden, that has nice views.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 04:27 AM
ttt

topping

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 07:54 AM
Pam

Try Castine Cottages in Castine. It's a lovely little town on the water.

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 06:39 PM
Dee

We stayed at the Shore Path Inn,a B&B in Bar Harbour which IS along the shore path. Large house on a large lot. Lovely hosts. Acadia has many great hikes - we did one around a lake and one along the shore. We could have/should have stayed longer. It's a great area. Enjoy.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 08:39 AM
ttt

topping