Maine must sees on the way to Acadia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be driving up to Acadia from NYC beginning of October. I'll take 2 days to get there and 2 days to get back with the desire to see 'quintessential' Maine. Please tell me about the very best places that I should make it a point to see, in priority order I like charming villages and harbors and nice scenery.

Also, I'm looking for recommendations for a nice place to stay for a night, between Portland and Rockland, under $75.
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 08:48 AM

I assume you are ditching I-95 for Rt. 1 after Portsmith, NH. Is this correct?
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 09:02 AM

Maine must sees - South to North:

http://www.fodors.com/world/north-am...outhern-coast/

http://www.fodors.com/world/north-am...aine/portland/

http://www.fodors.com/world/north-am...-coast-region/ (Wiscasset would be a nice place to stay)

http://www.fodors.com/world/north-am...penobscot-bay/

http://www.fodors.com/world/north-am...ine/acadia-np/

BTW, Apart from your 4 days travel time, how long will you have in Maine?
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 09:04 AM

Stonington, at the tip of Deer Island, feels like "quintessential" Maine to me. Tiny fishing village, with a nice little harbor, plus it's where you can catch a mail boat to Ilse au Haut- the least visited part of Acadia.

It's just below Mount Desert Island, so don't know if it fits into your plan.

~Liz
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 09:09 AM

sandman - Hubby and I traveled Rt 1 in 2006 - my trip report is still available for viewing at: http://www.travelpod.com/members/buffy4444

Could be helpful as we packed a lot into our week!

Have fun planning your trip!
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

"I assume you are ditching I-95 for Rt. 1 after Portsmith, NH. Is this correct?"

-- Should I?

"BTW, Apart from your 4 days travel time, how long will you have in Maine?"

-- 3 days based in Bar Harbor.

Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 02:28 PM

-- Should I? (ditch I-95 after Portsmith)

Yes, that is pretty much where the charming towns and villages start. Of course, it is slower but I guessing the point of the two day drive is to see the nice coastal towns in Maine. You can always quickly jump back over to I-95 anytime (especially on the return) if you need to make time.

You might consider going to the websites I gave above and printing out a little about all the towns you will pass along the way and play it by ear - stopping when you need a break, need a coffee, want to eat (lobster!), or catch a particular attraction or view.

You won't have time to stop in every village, but being on Rt. 1 you will at least see most of them.

And look at Buffy's photos!
Nice job, Buffy!
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 04:30 PM

thanks bardo1! just looking up the link and my photos made me long for a return trip!
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 02:10 AM

I'm going to throw a monkey wrench into the Rt 1 plans. The Fryeburg Fair is Sept 28 - Oct 5. This is a popular country agricultural fair held in Fryeburg ME near the NH border (you would go near Conway NH). There's a very nice "museum" building with demonstrators as well as the typical fair events. Don't forget, there is more to Maine than the coast. Inland has a logging history. If you went to Fryeburg you could also plot a route thru Bangor for a visit to the Cole Transportation Museum. I'd even recommend lunch at Dysart's Truck Stop. Check Leonards Mill Logging Museum to see if an event is being held. College teams compete in logging competitions. Of course, Bangor isn't a charming village with a harbor but if you want to look for the real Maine, I'd suggest inland as well as the coast.
At a recent farming event I watched an 8 yo little girl with a young team of Brown Swiss oxen. I was amazed at how well trained the team was ... and her grandmother said the child had been working with oxen since she was 4 or 5. Gives you an very different view of what an 8 yo is capable of. Tells you a lot about family values, too.
If you stick to the coastal route hopping off and on Rt 95 is recommended. We usually stay on Rt 95 until Brunswick and then go Rt 1 because of time but that misses the southern coast entirely.
Best wishes for a great trip, research the lobster shacks since many are open weekends only until Columbus Day. Our #1 favorite is Waterman's Beach near Rockland. If you go, don't miss the easy hike to Owls Head Light. Not sure if Waterman's is open weekend that time of year. It's pretty basic with outdoor dining.
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

"Our #1 favorite is Waterman's Beach near Rockland. If you go, don't miss the easy hike to Owls Head Light."

-- Sounds like a great idea.
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Original Poster

Any thoughts on Monhegan Island, Deer Isle, Castine?
Old Sep 6th, 2008, 02:26 AM

A trip to Monhegan Island would really depend on the weather. It's a long boat ride (we went from Boothbay). You have just enough time to hike some of the trails and enjoy a picnic lunch sitting on the cliff. In town there are restaurants but I would check what is open in early October. Take your binnoculars. If you don't enjoy hiking, I wouldn't go there.
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 04:21 AM
Original Poster

dfinh,

From NYC to Bar Harbor, do you think it's better to overnight in Portland or Rockland/Camden? It will be a Saturday night stayover so I'm thinking Portland might provide some nightime entertainment, however Camden would provide a jump on the Sunday traffic. Also, there's the Sunday morning free admission to the Farnsworth that I'm considering taking advantage of. Though on this type of vacation I'm not sure if I want to spend time indoors. I'm trying to think how to make the best use of Sunday. Thanks.
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 08:46 AM

we don't spend much time in Portland but you are right, there is probably more going on in the evening. There have been some posts about weekending in Portland that makes it sound great. Great restaurants, things to do. I'm not familiar with the art museum in Portland but you might check that out. I loved the Farnsworth. It would be a great way to spend a Sunday morning esp if you get bad weather (pouring in NH right now).
You might check the Brunswick area. It's a college town and closer to Rockland. Might have more going on in the evening. We tend to go to bed early.
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 03:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very busy time in Maine due to foliage bus tours taking up blocks of hotel rooms. book soon, and don't expect to find much in the $75 range.
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 04:01 PM

Get off At the exit before the tourist rip off toll on rt95 at the york exit and head north on rt 1 towards WELLS. SHOULD BE PLENTY OF CHOICES less than 75 buckaroos as it is off season.
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 04:48 PM

My friends own a beautiful Inn
in St Andrews. www.rossmountinn.com
It is an 18 room inn that overlooks
the Bay of Fundy. They are from Switzerland, he is a fabulous chef..
You will not be dissapointed with
the stay or the dining. Check out some of the reviews on trip advisor.
We were there last fall and would LOVE to be able to make another trip this year, but time does not permit. Any questions, let me know.
Sherri
Old Oct 16th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

We did the trip the week before Columbus weekend. Stopped for an hour in Portland ate at Anthony's Italian Specialties had a pretty good Marsala Chicken over pasta. Took a look at the bay, saw some skateboarders skating down a grassy hill. Took a quick drive through the old port area. Looks like a nice place to spend a long weekend. Got back on the highway and made our way to Pemaquid Point lighthouse very nice lighthouse in a rocky Maine coast setting. Stayed at the Yankee Traveler motel in Warren near Rockland $55./nt.

Next morning ate at Moody's diner. Excellent blueberry pancakes and a wonderful fluffy omelet at very good prices.

Drove a backroads tour recommended by about.com. Stopped at Beth's farm market, passed many old new england houses got some nice views especially a multicolored meadow.

Stopped at Rockland to walk a long breakwater out to a lighthouse. Stopped in Camden for a while where there was an arts market and my wife bought some nice earrings and necklace. We stopped at Just Barb's for dinner (which I remembered from dinh.) Had some good haddock and scallops and lobster soup. Reasonably priced and a lot of leftovers which we ate the next day in Acadia.

Drove to our motel in Bar Harbor.
Spent the next 3 glorious days going to Acadia and also went to Schoodic peninsula. Took a nature boat ride out of northwest harbor. Bought some delicious organic grain bread in SW harbor. The bread came in handy for spreading blueberry jam on. We also bought cheese and salami at Butterfields in Bar Harbor and made sandwiches. Bought a good takeout meal at the Pine Market in NW harbor. Baked haddock and stuffed shells. A good cheap meal. Ate one night at Geddy's in Bar Harbor. Had delicious lazy twin lobster with steamers at Ruth and Wimpy's in Hancock.

The weather was great, the people of Maine are so nice and friendly. We hit Acadia as the foliage was peaking. Acadia is so beautiful. Overall an excellent vacation.
Old Oct 17th, 2008, 04:45 AM

I absolutely agree with the Waterman's Beach suggestion. While you're on that peninsula, which ends with Port Clyde, I would also recommend the Dip Net, right on the pier at Port Clyde. Can't go any further or you'll be in the water. Also, the fish is great at the Cod End, in Tenants Harbor.

For a snack, I'd hit Red's, I think it's called, on 1 just before the bridge in Wiscasset. It's a little chuck wagon right at the edge of 1 at the bottom of the hill leading to the bridge as you drive north.

In Belfast, the diner overlooking the port is quite good. Also, the 1837 Harbor House is a wonderful B/B, with absolutely delicious breakfasts.
Old Oct 19th, 2008, 03:01 AM

Hi sandman, glad you liked Just Barb's. Sounds like you had a wonderful trip. Thanks for reporting back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -