Churrascaria Plataforma - NYC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21st, 2004, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A colleague of my husband recommended Churrascaria Plataforma (located in midtown) which has authentic Brazilian Rodizio. We thought it might be a fun experience for our annual holiday outing but I was wondering if anyone else has dined there and can provide some feedback. Thanks much!
Old Dec 21st, 2004, 11:11 AM
GoTravel

In a nutshell, it is all you can eat meat.

Old Dec 21st, 2004, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Okay, GoTravel. But is it good "all you can eat meat"?
Old Dec 21st, 2004, 11:14 AM
GoTravel

Okay, okay, okay, I'm being a smarta$$. Yes, my family liked the food.

Old Dec 21st, 2004, 11:16 AM

Its an upscale place with a large and interesting salad bar. The waiters walk around with large skewers of different meats and fill your plate. They give you a little card, one side is stop and one is go. You flip it to the go side if you want a refill. Went there with a large business group and we all loved it and had a ball.
Old Dec 21st, 2004, 11:16 AM

I've dined there several times with friends and with clients. Great cuts of meat and a wonderful salad bar. At times, you'll see things like whole lobster tails at the salad bar.

It can be noisy and can be a real scene. However, as long as you aren't expecting an intimate dinner, then definately go hungry.

BTW, a Brazilian friend told me the secret to these places is to not load up on the salad bar and the meats they bring out first. They usually bring out the less expensive dishes first (like chicken and sausage) and the higher quality ones later.

Depending on how much you drink, it can be quite expensive.
Old Dec 21st, 2004, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback! We have reservations for Sunday and we're looking forward to it.

GoTravel: no problem; sometimes I can be a smarty too

Ryan, we'll be sure to take your friends advice and pace ourselves

Happy Holidays!
Old Dec 21st, 2004, 07:25 PM

It is truly a memorable food orgy. You will leave 10 pounds heavier.]

Enjoy!

Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 06:00 AM

"BTW, a Brazilian friend told me the secret to these places is to not load up on the salad bar and the meats they bring out first."

This is 100% correct. I've been to Plataforma and have also had rodizio (the term used to describe this style of cooking and serving meat) at 4 or 5 other places. The salad bar at Plataform is very god but I limited myself to a few shrimp and some olives. They'll bring grilled smoked sausage. chicken and thigns of that nature first - you can decline and wait for the pricier/better cuts of meat. IN places like newark's Ironbound district, rodizio restaurants can eb a good bargain at $18 - $25 per head. Plataform charges Manhattan prices. Dinner for three with a couple soft drinks, three coffees, two dessrts, tax and tip cost us about $180 four years ago. I'm sure it's gone up since then.

Just a heads up in case anyone in your party is salt sensitive - rodizio is cooked on the salty side - it's the style.