Dining with a Boy Child in NYC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2005, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need recommendations for dining (lunch and dinner) with a 13-year-old boy in New York. We'll be there July 29-Aug.1. I think we'll be okay for breakfast as he loves bagels. We're going to do lunch at Grimaldi's one day. Is it crowded this time of year, will we have to line up? In addition to pizza and hot dogs, he likes lasagna, chicken, burgers & fries, the typical child faves--nothing fancy. Also looking for a special place for a birthday dinner as he turns 13 on July 30th. I thought about the Tavern on the Green but I've searched this site and most people have panned it.
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 03:49 PM

Dining with Boy George? Lucky you!
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 03:54 PM

I cannot remember what the food was like, but we really enjoyed Jekyll and Hyde in the Village when we were in NYC with our almost 13 year-old-son a few years ago. The decor is meant to be a little creepy (and it is) and there is some funny way to get into the boys bathroom.
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 04:28 PM

Jeckyll and Hyde is widely panned for food, value, service and cleanliness. Generally I would suggest avoid all chain places like the plague - but perhaps he might enjoy the ESPN zone - which I beleive is not as bad as many of the others.

Another option is Ellen's Stardust Diner - also acceptable basic food - but singing wait staff may amuse him.

For something a little more upscale Carmine's still serves lasagna I believe - it's quite loud and fun and the portions are big enough for a small village.
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 04:31 PM

The only time I was at an ESPN Zone I ordered a margarita on the rocks and was rewarded with a blended frozen margarita poured into a glass of ice. And the waitress had no idea what was so funny...
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

I checked the ESPN Zone website and I thought it said you had to be 18 to get in. He's a big Rangers fan. Is there a restaurant in Madison Square Gardens?
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 05:59 PM

ESPNZone is open to all ages -- a 13 year old boy will love the entire floor of video games etc.

It's tourist season -- Grimaldi's will be crowded during the normal lunch & dinner hours.
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Gekko, he loves video games. I'll add ESPN Zone to my list. Maybe we'll do that instead of Tavern on the Green. It sounds like everywhere will be crowded in NYC this summer.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 02:53 AM

My 11 and 14 year old sons love good deli and diner food when in NY. Carnegie Deli has huge sandwiches that appeal to teenage boys. Others to consider might be 2nd Avenue Deli and Katz's if you are on the lower east side. One of my kids' favorite diners is EJ's on the upper east side, but I think there are other locations as well.ESPNZone is fun for the interactive sports video games, but is nothing special for food. We also tend to eat at a lot of ethnic restaurants while in NY - stuff like Greek, Thai, Indian, Brazilian, etc., not fancy, but it depends on his tastes and interest in trying new foods. I don't think I would do Tavern on the Green for his birthday unless he really wants to; I don't think it would be a first choice for either of my guys.
Hope that helps.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 05:47 AM

Defiitely do not do Tavern on the Green. The food is poor/mediocre, the service similar and the prices very high for what you get. The only real attraction is the setting in the park - and that's more romantic than fun for a young teen.

If you want to do a more formal place I would do River Cafe in Brooklyn - at least that way he gets a chance to see the Brooklyn Bridge up close - a great view of Manhattan - and a chance to try buffalo if he wants.

But frankly - I think he would enjoy the Boathouse in Central Park more.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 09:53 AM

Jekkyl and Hyde is very loud inside, so if anyone wants to have a conversation, they will have to yell.

Make sure to go to any location of Ray's pizza. I took my nephew to NYC last year and he still talks about Ray's pizza.

Old Jul 8th, 2005, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, nytraveler, I think we'll do the Boathouse instead of Tavern on the Green. We'll be going to the Museum of Natural History--is The Boathouse near there? Maybe we could to the museum in the morning and the Boathouse for lunch. Would we need reservations?
Fun4all4, we're staying at the Beekman Tower Hotel, near the U.N. Are any of the delis you mentioned near there? I'm not really understanding the concept of ESPN Zone. Is it primarily a restaurant/bar, or can you go in just to play the games without having to eat their food?
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 03:31 PM

Here's a link to the boathouse on menupages.com:

http://menupages.com/restaurantdetai...=0&cuisineid=0

It's a little futher south than the Museum (72 st vs 79/80th) and futher east - but not a long walk.

You may want to check out other places on menupages - you can search by neighborhood and/or cuisine - or even for specific foods.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again, nytraveler. After I posted my message I actually found The Boathouse on the Central Park website. There was a map and menus. I'm going to check out chowhound, I think it's called, too. I saw that mentioned in another thread.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 08:31 PM

For breakfast you can take him to Tal Bagels up the avenue from your hotel on First and 54th Street. One block south at 53rd is Abitino's which has pretty good pizza. Ray's is the name of many many pizza places; to my knowledge, none of them are better than run-of-the-mill for the city. Now if you want the city's best, you will have to go to DiFara in Brooklyn but that is another story.
Old Jul 9th, 2005, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, ekscrunchy, we'll definitely try Tal Bagels for breakfast one day. We're taking the water taxi over to Brooklyn the first day we arrive and planned to have lunch at Grimaldi's for the best pizza (everyone says). I'm told that Grimaldi's gets really busy so we may need a backup plan. Is DiFara's close by? (Maybe we'll just pig out on the world's best ice cream and candy.)
Old Jul 9th, 2005, 01:52 PM

I have never been to Grimaldis but I cannot imagine that either the experience or the actual pizza at DiFara's can be topped anyplace in the city. But it is in Midwood Brooklyn and you would need to take a subway or an expensive cab ride to get there. There is no airconditioning; no atmosphere to speak of, and the wait can be excruciating. Many others have written on the subject; you could check out chowhound.com for starters. That said, I am not sure I would schlep a child there.. although the surrounding neighborhood is a fascinating melange of ethnic groups and pleasant to walk around in if it is not too hot. You would get a real "slice" of the city that few tourists, other than the food-obsessed, ever get to see.
Old Jul 9th, 2005, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

We do love to eat but I wouldn't say we're "food obsessed". Kids aren't usually too discriminating when it comes to pizza so I think we'll stick with Grimaldi's. When I see some of the cardboard pizza they eat while turning up their noses at a great cut of prime rib, it makes me wonder if we're even related.
Old Jul 9th, 2005, 09:07 PM

Had a pre-theatre meal at Pietrasanta when in NYC in May. Huge portions and food was great - homemade pasta was fabulous. It's on 9th Ave. at 47th St.

You might also want to go to menupages.com and look around.

Old Jul 10th, 2005, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Ziggydoo, I have looked at the menupages website but it was a little overwhelming. I think we might try Pietrasanta for pasta as my nephew loves lasagna. He's just a little guy, but he can put away an amazing amount of pasta. We'll probably be down that way for sightseeing (he wants to see the Intrepid) and I'm sure we'll need a change from burgers and fries.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -