Christmas In New York City

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our family (6 of us) goes into New York City every year during the Christmas season. This year we wanted to do something different. We have seen all the Christmas shows multiple times. We thought of going ice skating, going to the Top of the Rock and then for a nice dinner with a nice setting. Can someone suggest a nice non-crowed place for Ice Skating (not Rock center) possibly in Central Park, where would be good place for a drink and a nice setting for dinner (not Tavern on the Green). I would be very appreciative. I also considered a Christmas walking tour.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 11:56 PM

Wollman Rink in Central Park.
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 04:09 AM

Agree that Wollman Rink in the park is a lot less crowded than Rock. Ctr. Perhaps a drink at the Boat House. Dinner depends on what kind of place you want. If you're going skating, you'll be dressed casually. Vince & Eddy's on west 68th st. off Columbus has a fireplace and is a comfortable place. La Boite en Bois has better food and a $34 prix fixe. Cafe Luxembourg is another idea. These are all on the west side nearish Lincoln Center. The places nearest the park on the east side are more formal. (Go to TOTR first, then skating)
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 05:36 AM

Another location for ice skating is Bryant Park (bordered by 5th and 6th Aves, 40-42nd Sts.), just a few blocks directly south of Rockefeller Center.

http://www.bryantpark.org/amenities/thepond.php
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 06:20 AM

If you are up for some Southwest flavors - which I always like when the weather is cold - another option for casual dining on the UWS is Santa Fe at 73 W 71st
Old Oct 31st, 2006, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the suggestions. If anyone has any additional comments, please let me know.
Old Oct 31st, 2006, 10:21 PM

We were at Wollman's rink last year on Christmas day. St Patrick's in the a.m. and Wollman's in the early p.m.(3.p.m.) It poured on us but we stayed out on the rink until we circled once.Our coats were probably 100 pounds of water. We ran back to our hotel(Essex) beautiful but overpriced and on the way back to the hotel, grabbed a hot chocolate to take to our hotel.
Priceless memory.
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 03:52 AM

Hey! I love the Sante Fe and no one ever mentions here on Fodors!
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 08:53 AM

wliwl -
yeah, it IS a great place, love the margaritas and guacamole (one of the bartenders used to live in San Antonio, maybe that's the secret). I think most of the customers are locals who don't really want to see the place invaded by hordes of tourists, and I think the celebrities who live on the UWS that eat there also like not being "on display."
When the restaurant moved after losing the lease on their original long term location there was some concern aboout continuing patronage but it sure looks like customers have followed.
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 01:58 PM

We are also going to NY for Christmas but aren't sure if cafes and restaurants will be open Christmas Day. Do we need to book for example??? We will be staying on West 54th Street. Any suggestions for reasonably priced meals would be welcome - it doesn't have to be turkey etc, nice Italian would be good. Thanks
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 05:05 PM

Many restaurants are closed Christmas Day. And the ones that are open usually have traditional dinner with set seating times (2pm, 4pm etc) and you MUST reserve.

If you want to do casuale you will find many ethnic places (esp Chinese and Indian) are open - but naturally won't be serving turkey.

If you go to opentable.com it will have a list of restaurants that are accepting reservations (and thus are open) for Chistmas.
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 05:29 PM

I just did a mini-search for X-Mas day on Open table. A lot of places are closed, but there are a fair amount across all cuisines that appear to be open. The two on the list that I've been to and can recommed are Nice Matin (French, 79th and Amsterdam), and Rosa Mexicano (Mexican, Union Square area).

I would also recommend posting a query on chowhound.com. The uses on that board will probably know several other places that wouldn't be listed on open table.