Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Chicago: which el train best for touring?tour?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2005, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello -- We will be visiting Chicago in March, and while we won't really have a *reason* to ride the el (staying on N Michegan Ave; cabs to restaurants, shows and museums), we would really like to just ride it and get a feel for the city. So my question is: Which line is best for a fun rid and a train track view of the city? I'm guessing the red line north -- but I'm certainly open to suggestions.

thanks!
Brooke
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 07:46 AM

The Red Line north will take you through some neat neighborhoods and to Wrigley Fied (and Cellular One Field if you go south). The only downside is that it is underground until you get to North Ave (if my memory serves me correctly-it's been awhile.) The brown line is truly elevated and will take you round the Loop, through Old Town, Lincoln Park, parts of Lake View and Ravenswood but doesn't hit Wrigley if that's an interest. The Brown Line also stops at the Merchandise Mart. You could take the Red Line to Addison (Wrigley Field) and hop back on going south and switch to the brown line at the next stop-Belmont to get more of neighborhood feel on your way back.
Here's a CTA map link:
http://www.transitchicago.com/maps/rail/rail.html
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

thanks,swalter! Wrigley is not an interest simply because it isn't baseball season yet -- so your suggestion of the brown line is more like what I had in mind -- mostly elevated, with a good window view of the city.

thanks for the cta link, too!
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 08:31 AM

No problem. You may want to get off at one of the stops, especially Armitage and explore the neighborhood as there are many cute shops and restaurants in these neighborhoods.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 09:08 AM

Definately take the Brown Line if you want good views of the city and the neighborhoods.