Search

NJ to JFK

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2005, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NJ to JFK

Can anyone tell me the best choice for getting from New Jersey to JFK? We will be flying out of JFK and were thinking about driving to and staying in a hotel in NJ the night before and taking a train to JFK. This way we can leave our car at the hotel for the week, and avoid driving to JFK. I'm not sure which NJ train station to go out of (we think NJ transit into Penn Station is best..definitely cheaper than Amtrak). Also, once a train station has been determined, are there any hotels nearby? Thanks for any advice!
Judy in Delaware
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 04:08 PM

Judy instead of taking a train into the city and then out to JFK, why not arrange to take a bus or the Blue Van from the hotel to JKF. That way you will bypass coming into Manhattan, and probably save an hour or two.
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 05:15 PM

Why not by-pass most of NYC by taking the Verrazzano (sp?) bridge and then the Belt Parkway to JFK, staying in one of the hotels there? Going to Penn Station and then out to JFK will probably take you 3 hours or more.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 08:59 AM

I don't know how far into Jersey you want to come, but if you don't have too much luggage, you could stay in Jersey City and take the PATH and subway to JFK. There are a number of hotels in Jersey City which are very close to PATH stations (Doubletree, Mariott Courtyard, Hyatt--be sure to check with them about parking fees).

You would take the PATH to the World Trade Center station in Manhattan (1 or 2 stops depending on where you get on). Follow the signs to the A train(subway). Get on a downtown-bound A train marked "Far Rockaway" or "Rockaway Park", NOT "Lefferts Boulevard". Exit the train at Howard Beach station (about a 40-min ride), where you can transfer to the Airtrain to the airport.

There are escalators or elevators in all of the stations except for one- you'll have to go down stairs to catch the A train. The elevators aren't always easy to find, so don't hesitate to ask someone where they are if you need them.

The PATH is $1.50, the subway is $2 and the Airtrain is $5. I've done this many times and usually allow myself 2 hours travel time though it generally takes about an hour and 20 minutes.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 09:53 AM

Hey Judy:

Try these guys I have used them to get to JFK from my office.

There are hotels along their pickup route. Not sure about leaving the car for the week, hoever? I guess you would have to cut a deal with the hotel. Not too many hotels will risk having a guest car who is no longer a GUEST!
http://www.kennedyairport.com/aviation/connfram.HTM
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 10:05 AM
Sunnyboy

I'm with Michael on this one - why drive from Delaware to a hotel in NJ, stay overnight and spend a couple hours on trains and buses lugging baggage getting to JFK only to repeat the process again on your trip back? Stay at one of the hotels near the airport and use their long term parking. You'll have a stress free (and quick) trip from the hotel to the airport on the outbound leg of your journey and be in your car driving home to Delaware within a few minutes of leaving the terminal on your return. Surely your time and well being is worth whatever added cost there might be.