Search

nj to jfk

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nj to jfk

Can anyone tell me the best choice for getting from New Jersey to JFK? We will be flying out of JFK and were thinking about driving to and staying in a hotel in NJ the night before and taking a train to JFK. This way we can leave our car at the hotel for the week, and avoid driving to JFK. I'm not sure which NJ train station to go out of (we think NJ transit into Penn Station is best..definitely cheaper than Amtrak). Also, once a train station has been determined, are there any hotels nearby? Thanks for any advice! Also, is this a good plan????
Judy in Delaware

Old Feb 13th, 2005, 04:13 PM

I ssume you're heading off to Europe or some such from JFK? If that's the case I'd suggest driving to JFK and leaving the car in the long term lot. I don't know of any hotel that would let you leave your car in their lot for a week unless you were staying there. To get to JFK you don't need to drive into Manhattan. Take 440 east from Jersey Pike, over the Outerbridge Crossing to theouth Shore Expwy. That'll take youto the Staten Island Expwy, over the Verrazano Bridge, and onto the Belt Parkway east to JFK. Highway all the way. You can check with JFK online for long term parking rates. Drive up the day of your flight - you'll save money on the hotel.

Old Feb 13th, 2005, 04:17 PM

Park your car in AVistar long term parking at JFK. They take you to the airport and then pick you up on your return. They have your car waiting and its a guarded lot unlike the airport. Go to Avistar.com. We have used it often and have had no problems.
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 04:28 PM

Besides the problem of finding a hotel willing to house your car free for a week - the trip to JFK wold be onerous - especailly ifyou have anyluggage other than a small carry-on.

You would need to get from the hotel to the train in Jersey (bus or cab) and take that to Penn Station, then make you way through Penn Station to the Long Island Railroad (usually requiring using escalators) then take that to the Jamaica station where you would to switch to the Airtrain to get to JFK.

Way too complicated IMHO versus just dumping your car in a lot at JFK.
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 04:30 PM

Separately, if you want to leaave you car parked long term at Newark Airport you can get a shuttle bus fromthere dire4ctly to JFK. don;t know the cost - you would need to leave yourselves about 3 hours to allow for traffic (leave Newark 5 hours before your flight is scheduled to depart).