Search

Transport from Chicago Airports

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2007, 06:25 AM
MPT
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transport from Chicago Airports

I will be traveling to Chicago (first time) on business in mid-July arriving around 6PM and staying at the IC. What airport (Midway or O'Hare) do you suggest flying into and what is the best means of getting to my hotel? I'm not opposed to trying out the El but would need detailed instructions.

Thanks!
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Don

The El has lines that run to each airport: Blue Line for O'Hare, Orange Line for Midway.

The hotel Web site says the Blue Line from O'Hare would take about 45 minutes, while the Orange Line from Midway would take 20 minutes. (I think the Orange Line would be more in the 30-minute range, but I could be wrong.)

If you fly into O'Hare, you'd take the Blue Line (El) to Clark/Lake, then transfer to a Pink or Orange Line train and go one stop to State/Lake. You'd then leave the El station and walk a half-block south on State Street to the Red Line stop. Take the Red Line (heading toward Howard) for one stop to the Grand stop. Exit there and walk three blocks east to Michigan Avenue. The Intercontinental appears to be in the next block south from the Grand/North Michigan Avenue intersection.

If you fly into Midway, you'd take the Orange Line (El) to State/Lake. You'd then leave the El station and walk a half-block south on State Street to the Red Line stop. Take the Red Line (heading toward Howard) for one stop to the Grand stop. Exit there and walk three blocks east to Michigan Avenue. The Intercontinental appears to be in the next block south from the Grand/North Michigan Avenue intersection.

If you're going to be using the El a bit during your stay, you can get a Visitor's Pass from a machine at the entrance to the Blue Line or Orange Line at their respective airports. This gives you unlimited rides for a very low price (like $12 for 3 days).
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 07:58 AM

Doesn't it depend on what airline you fly as to what airport you land in?

Midway is much smaller and easier to get around IMO.... I would take a taxi-
If I am tired and have luggage, laptop etc... the last thing I want to do is figure out the subway system in a strange city and lug my stuff on and off the train.... I say TAXI...
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 08:33 AM
JJ5

Exit time at Midway IS faster than O'Hare. That is true. Logistics at O'Hare is different- larger by eons, density, luggage- all is different time quotient.

O'Hare, of course, has much more flight availability worldwide.
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 08:37 AM
Jen

I would not take a cab during rush hour. Train is very simple, easy to find at both airports.

From the Blue line, you can transfer directly to the Red line at Jackson, which takes you a few stops further south than you need to go, but it will be quicker and easier than making taht extra transfer. If it were me, I'd just take the Blue line to Clark/Lake and either walk the 2 blocks to the Red Line, or just cab to your hotel from there. Fare would be aout $5-$7, depending on downtown traffic.

You can see for yourself at www.yourcta.com
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 08:54 AM

Jen has the right idea. From the nearest CTA stop (Clark/Lake on the Blue Line, State/Lake on the Orange Line) the Intercontinental is an easy enough walk. If you have too much luggage, etc. you might want to take a cab from Clark/Lake.

From Lake Street, head north one block to Wacker Drive (where the river runs!) and turn right. When you get to the far side of Michigan Avenue, turn left. The hotel is a quarter mile north of the river on Michigan Avenue.
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 09:18 AM

I usually fly into Midway because we use SWest tickets a lot. The cab ride was horrible! I decided to try the Orange Line a couple years ago, and it was SOOO easy. I'll never ever take a cab from the airport again. And it's not a subway, it runs above ground..
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 10:05 AM
JJ5

LLindaC, I'm not saying you are wrong, because the Orange line is fine, if it is running promptly. But that cab ride for Chicago is not even a 4 or 5 scale out of 10 for horrible. Chicago is huge and there are much, much worse rides than that- or everyday traffic expressway commutes for everyday workers as well. If you think that is horrible, try taking the Archer Ave. bus downtown to work for 4 or 5 years from much farther than Midway with 2 transfers. People do it all the time.
It's Chicago.
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 10:11 AM

I am used to public transportation at home, but don't like to use it after landing, trying to navigate an unfamiliar surroundings with luggage.

Maybe a shuttle will work for you like it worked for me?
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 10:31 AM

JJ5....my cab ride took two hours from Midway to the hotel. I don't know what was going on but when I say it was horrible, trust me! We just took a cab to Munich airport when the trains stopped running.....we had this nutty old raut driving, swearing at people and going over 80 mph. That ranks among the worst rides ever, LOL!
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 10:38 AM
JJ5

2 hours is 1 hour too long. That had to be something really wrong- or snow- or a parade???

Well, my Archer Ave. took 1-1/2hours and was REALLY scenic. For only a 80 block distance. One time I actually helped deliver a baby girl at Archer & Halsted. The bus drive took 3 hours that day! LOL!

Well, at least now they have windows that open and most have a.c.
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 12:08 PM

Hi folks - we are coming in August and will be flying into Midway and staying at the Courtyard Marriott Downtown off of Hubbard. Can someone please let me know what would be the best route? I don't mind walking some to avoid an extra transfer.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 12:18 PM
JJ5

I'm not a CTA person anymore, but I know you get on the Orange line el from Midway to downtown/LOOP.

Try www.yourcta.com after that to see all the stops and how far you would be from Hubbard. I don't think it will be much of a walk, but it will be a walk, IMHO.
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Jen

Orange line to State/Lake, then walk across river to hotel (4 or 5 blocks, maybe?). Or transfer at State/Lake to Red line-- go north one stop to Grand, and walk back south two blocks. Assuming you don't have tons of luggage, I'd go with the former.
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Jen

Sorry, previous reply was directed to russp...
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 06:55 AM

Thanks Jen!
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 11:16 AM

I have a friend staying at the Club Quarters Hotel at 111 W. Adams St. Coming from Midway, can you tell me what are her best options?
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 11:28 AM

Take the Orange Line from MDW to LaSalle. When she exits the station, head to Clark Street (toward the rear of the train). Turn left on Clark and walk 2 blocks north to Adams. The entrance to the hotel is around the corner from Starbucks.

It's about the same distance from the Quincy stop, but it would take longer because she'd just have to wait for the train to make the stop at LaSalle.
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 01:27 PM

Thanks Citylghts! I was just in Chicago last week for a business trip and took the EL for the first time from Midway just to see how it would go, and it was a great option! Saved me a lot of time and money.