Chicago - Orange Line to Midway & South Shore - Roosevelt Station

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2008, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I need to know is if I take the South Shore to Roosevelt Station can I pick up to Orange line to Midway right there or do I have to walk someplace else?? How far? During the day is it safe??? Thanks for your help. Wasn't able to figure this out.
Old Aug 1st, 2008, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

One more thing - I can't find how long it takes from Roosevelt to Midway. Can someone tell me that also? Thanks again.
Old Aug 1st, 2008, 07:25 AM

Roosevelt Rd stop would not be my favorite top for this transfer but is is certainly doable.
It is in the middle of Grant Park and about a 5-10 minute walk to the Orange line stop. The METRA/South Shore "station" is just a wooden platform with a wooden staircase/ bridge over the tracks to Grant Park. From there you need to walk to Michigan Ave and South 1/2 block to Roosevelt and then two blocks WEST (away from the lake) to The Roosevelt EL stop.
During the day it is full of tourists as both stops are near the Museum Campus, but in the evening/night its another matter as there are less tourists around that neighborhood.
You may want to consider getting off at Van Buren or go the end of the line at Randolph and then you would be in the loop and a shorter walk to the EL at Randolph ST and safer at night.
Old Aug 1st, 2008, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

THanks so much JTK. You have helped me many times before. I thought I read that I could only get the Orange line to Midway at Roosevelt. I will gladly take the South Shore to where ever is the best connection to Midway. I am a 50+ female with suitcase traveling alone (on a tight budget). SO any help is appreciated. Thank you so much for your help, AGAIN. DO you know how long it takes to get there from the loop?
Old Aug 1st, 2008, 07:36 AM

As for time from Roosevelt to Midway allowing for the walk to the station and a wait for EL 45 minutes should do it to MMidway from Roosevelt during the day as the trains run about every 10 minutes.
See CTA map link:
http://www.transitchicago.com/maps/maps/200806D.html

As an alternative to all of the above, why not get off at 57th street (University of Chicago) Call a cab and get to Midway in 20 minutes.
Old Aug 1st, 2008, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Wow, that sounds like a much better plan. THanks again for all your help.
Old Aug 1st, 2008, 07:57 AM

I assume you are coming from Indiana. Another option is Chicago Coach lines shuttle bus service dircetly to Midway airport from a number of location in Indiana including Michigan City, South Bend, Merrilville, Portage among others. Fare is around $ 26 ow and service is hourly.

Here is the link:
http://www.coachusa.com/tristateunitedlimo/index.asp
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Thank you once again. That seems like a real feasible option. Actually I'm coming from Western Michigan, so Michigan City would be departure spot. This seems like it would be much less of a hassle. I sure appreciate all your help.