Search

chicago 3 days

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2006, 10:00 AM
cbr
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chicago 3 days

I will be going to Chicago for 3 days in early May. I am looking at the Westin, Palmer Hilton, Intercontinental somewhere in that range can anyone give a good recommendation? I want to be centrally located to shops, restaurants etc. Can anyone recommend other areas to visit for 2 adults while in Chicago?
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 10:24 AM
JJ5

There are about 10 good threads on this just in the last month because it seems many people are coming to Chicago in April, May, June.

Tell us what you like- theatre, museums, shopping??

For 3 days you will have plenty to do just staying in the Loop, Downtown, Michigan Ave. North-maybe to Lincoln Park Zoo area. That's enough for a week actually.

I like to stay on the River which is mid all of this. Intercontinental is right there from your bunch. Most tourists seem to like North the best. I don't- I like Loop and more vintage.

Some good ones I have stayed at have been Swissotel (off into the lake and a farther walk to all), Omni, Hotel Allegro or Burnham (these have a free afternoon wine before dinner and may have some weekend specials). There are so many good hotels that you would have to say what you are looking for. Palmer House is older and I love the lobby.

If you want to see Wicked, get tickets now through ticketmaster.com. If you want to shop- trendy clothes- not the big box stores etc.- you may want to stay near Water Tower and do the Oak St. funkier places etc.

You need to say what you like. There are good restaurants etc. all over. The Museums and the Art Institute are Loop.
Marshal Field's and State St. shopping is Loop.

Architectural tour on the river would be on when you are here and trollies will be running (free). You need to check out www.metromix.com
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 10:40 AM
cbr
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions, I like shopping, art, theater, dining of all kinds, and prefer to stay in a more interesting area that is less touristy. I am originally from NYC so I love exploring new areas if that helps.
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 10:51 AM
JJ5

cbr, me too. I like the less touristy areas. Most of the tourists seem to swarm around Water Tower Place area. I like the LOOP and older. One reason is because I am and it's like my old home- but another is just as you say. It's not all gimmicks/chains/a carnival etc.
Navy Pier is cute, but it's touristy, IMHO.

Do a search here for Chicago hotel or Chicago June (there was just a great thread)and see what comes up. The posters gave great walking options for shopping "different" etc.

If you look at a map, you will see that the walk is not immense- and you can always take the free trolley or a bus.
Art Institute is a must, Field is great, Shedd is fantastic- world plus class- much more than an aquarium. Cultural Center on Washington (LOOP) is a good stop for info plus.

Anything in Priceline or Hotwires LOOP, Michigan Ave/WaterTower, or River North areas would be fine.

As far as restaurants go, I believe it is true that if you want upper edge or extremely edgy etc. you will probably fine more in that category toward the North end.
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 11:02 AM
JJ5

Check out stormygirl's shopping in Chicago thread- it's up in the top 50 right now- it's a great printable one for you if you like the younger funky stuff.

Don't forget the What Not to Wear Rule:
NO Minishirts after Thirty-Five

And is that a good rule.