One night and one day in Chicago

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2008, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Husband is joining me in Chicago after my conference. We will have Saturday from late afternoon on, all of Sunday, and then we return home Monday morning. So what are the must-do's? We're more interested in quality (one really good thing) than quantity (seeing the whole city). And what part of Chicago should we stay in? (This of course being dependent on what we end up doing.)

Oh, and we'll be depending on public transportation.

Good food (chow hound level, not gourmet or fancy)
Walking tours
Museums (although we go to NYC pretty often)
Shows/theatres

NOT INTERESTED IN:
Shopping
Antiques
Bus tours
Live music
Anyplace smokey (husband has severe allergies)

Looking forward to your suggestions!
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 08:08 AM
JJ5

Stay in the Loop. Art Institute is a must do. Millenium Park, and a walk near the lakefront near that area is suggested too.

There are 20 or 30 excellent 1 day or 2 day schedules for Chicago here on Fodors. Do the search and note the walks or weather related information in them.

You do not say what time of year this is, which can determine some issues or choices mightily.

For that amount of time, IMHO, stay only LOOP area, and possibly hit one of the Chicago Arch. Foundation walking tours. Art Institute may be the quality time, or if your druthers are different maybe the Field or Shedd.

At night I would do one of the downtown plays and couple it with a nice dinner. There are huge numbers of suggestions here or on www.metromix.com

The state of IL has become smoke-free so your anyplace smokey category, has pretty much been eliminated just recently.
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 08:24 AM

I agree with JJ5.

Depending on when you go you may enjoy the Architectural boat tour too. That was one of my favorite things.

For Breakfast you must try Lou Mitchells. It is hearty breakfast but very good. The best omelet that I have ever had. Everything looked great. We walked there from our Hotel - the Palmer House.
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 08:25 AM
JJ5

Also, if you note most others' opinions in the search you do, their suggestions, you will see the various views or skyscrapper observation spots logistics that they have enjoyed. You may want to go up in the John Hancock Building or in Sears Tower. Everyone always suggests the former and for a drink with no charge. I prefer the later and with the charge, but looking out toward the rest of the skyline going East toward the water, and inland to see some of the other huge expanse of Chicago.

If you have any interest of historial context or vibe, watch "Chicago, City of the Century" before your weekend. It's PBS and available in libraries everywhere, or can be rented.

There is a lot more shopping and that kind of thing on MI Avenue than there is State St./Loop proper area. You may want to settle nearer to Grant Park end, if you are not as interested in shopping.

Most people also like River North, or just West of Michigan Ave. for restaurants, but there are good ones everywhere in your price range.

Many visitors like around Water Tower the best. I don't. I'd rather be by the River or into LOOP proper or in Printer's Row area when I stay downtown for 2 or 3 days, which I do occasionally.
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 08:40 AM

Here is a thread that I have for my trip to Chicago. Obviously with your time constraints, you will have to pick and choose.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=35092252
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

We'll be going the first weekend in May, so good weather is possible! I've looked at other threads and of course this site but was a bit overwhelmed and knew I had to pick just one part of Chicago and concentrate my efforts there. Sounds like the LOOP is the way to go. Thanks for the recs already, and I'd love to hear from others about this area of Chicago.
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 10:14 AM

Pisces, staying in the Loop would be fine, as it is centrally located.

If you were staying three nights, I would have suggested Flemish House of Chicago (an apartment-style B&B) located in a historic greystone in the Gold Coast neighborhood. This is about 2.5 blocks north of the top of the Magnificent Mile, 2 blocks west of Lake Michigan and the beaches and .5 block east of N. Rush Street, which has many dining and evening entertainment options.

Walking tours (of the DIY variety):

Astor Street in the Gold Coast. You walk north on Astor from Division to North Avenue. Arguably the prettiest street in the city, lined with historic mansions and buildings of architectural prominence. It's only 4 blocks long. Look at the Gold Coast Neighbors website for details on the area's architecture, as well as organized walking tours, including information on the Charnley-Persky House and Madlener House tours held on Saturdays, April through November.

The Chicago Loop Alliance's website has 3 free downloadable (to an MP3 device) walking tours of the Loop (art, theatres and landmarks).

Millennium Park's website has a free downloadable walking tour as well.

*Highly, highly* recommend this book: Gerard Wolfe's "Chicago In and Around the Loop: Walking Tours of Architecture and History".

Walking tours (guided):

The Chicago Greeter program is absolutely free and a great service. You just need to pick out which neighborhood (or subject) to explore and reserve in advance.

Millennium Park has free guided walking tours every day. There are signs indicating the free events that day as well.

The Chicago Architecture Foundation is a not-for-profit organization. And, although it is not a walking tour, I highly, highly recommend their River Cruise. Boarding is at the NE corner of Wacker & Michigan.

The Chicago History Museum has walking tours as well. For example, the Gold Coast tour is May 3, the Lincoln Park tour is May 10, the Old Town tour is May 17, etc. See their website for details.

Look at the Chicago Cultural Center's website for information on their tours, including "Taste of the Neighborhood" tours.

Historic Wrigley Field also has tours when the Cubs are on the road. I see that there are some on May 3 and May 4, in case that is when you are here. Reservations are recommended and these do sell out.

All of the historic theatres downtown have their own tours.

Recommendations for theatre: Are you only interested in the Broadway-type entertainment? Hope not because Chicago has such a wealth of choices. Hate to see you limiting yourself. Some to consider: The Goodman Theatre offerings; Steppenwolf; Victory Gardens (in the historic Biograph Theatre - the alleyway behind which John Dillinger met his doom)...But the best is to just check the Chicago Tribune, the Chicago Reader and Sun-Times for critic's picks.

Of the museums, the Art Institute is Chicago's crown jewel. *NOTE to others visiting this summer*: However, 92 of the most famous, major works will be this on loan to the Kimbell Art Museum in Ft. Worth this summer. The Edward Hopper and watercolors of Winslow Homer special exhibits are still running until mid-May, though. Get the audio tours - please don't scrimp where it means the most. You could also download Self Guides for the Art Institute from their own website.

If you were to ask me my choices of the highlights, they would be:

1) Chicago Architecture Foundation's River Cruise (tours)

2) The Art Institute (museum) combined with

3) Millennium Park

4) Having a (pricey) drink at the Signature Lounge - on the 96th Floor of the John Hancock Centre. Or, for another great view, have a drink at Sixteen - Trump International Tower & Hotel.

Without knowing the type of cuisine you prefer and your budget range, it's rather hard to comment on that subject. Chicago has 1000s of restaurants.
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 10:41 AM

I edited my last post but it didn't change when I went to post it. So here are the changes:

On second thought, staying in the Loop wouldn't be my first choice because I would only recommend the Hotel Burnham (or maybe, perhaps the Hotel Monaco - another Kimpton). But, because it (Hotel Burnham) sits immediate to a major construction project, there have been complaints of noise. How it will be in May don't know. In addition, Looptopia will be held on May 2 and May 3. If you are coming then and don't want crowds, you should look elsewhere.

I'd also recommend that you CAREFULLY check recent reviews on TripAdvisor because a number of hotels are undergoing extensive renovation.

With respect to Sixteen - it's a view of a different type than the Signature Lounge.

And - I highly recommend your consideration of a guided bike tour, such as Bobby's Bike Hike. You'll see much more than on foot - and with your limited time here, that is a good thing.
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 07:25 AM

I have to second pretty much everything exiledprincess said. My parents stay at the Flemish House when they come to visit and have never been disappointed. It's quaint, quiet, and in a great location.
I would add the Lincoln Park Zoo to the list. It's free and in the middle of beautiful Lincoln Park. Also keep in mind that Frank Lloyd Wright's studio is an easy L ride away in historic Oak Park. The studio and the Moonlight houses are a nice way to spend the afternoon.
I agree that the The Chicago Architecture Foundation boat tour is not to be missed. It's a rare view of the city and full of historical info.
Have fun!
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 05:10 PM

Ditto on the Architectural Boat tour. I've done it twice.

Millenium Park is beautiful. Much to see.

If you're looking for a great show, I'd recommend Wicked which is on an unlimited engagement. Fun show. Also, Jersey Boys is in town for the duration. Both are located in the loop.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Just an update! I'm booked at Club Quarters on W. Adams. I know they're undergoing renovation, so wish us luck (and quiet!).

Planned activities include seeing a show at Trap Door Theatre and taking the architectural river cruise.

Reservations have been made for dinner at The Gage and Harry Caray's, and brunch at Atwood Cafe (recs from chowhound).

Thanks for your information!
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 12:12 PM

Glad you're doing the arch. cruise. I hope you get the Art Institute, too, b/c it's a must.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

I went to the Art Institute on a conference about 10 years ago, so I'd like to see it again but am not fanatical about it. Will have to see what the weather is like, and whether my husband is up to another cultural thing after the river cruise.

I did print out a whole bunch of self-guided walking tours in case it's nice...