Chesterfield Dining Suggestions

Mar 13th, 2005, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

Chesterfield Dining Suggestions

Hello- I will be traveling to Chesterfield periodically over the next few months for work and am looking for dining suggestions. The last time I was there I noticed lots of chain restaurants along the main drag, but I am interested in finding some different dining options. Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.
Mar 13th, 2005, 03:57 PM

Chesterfield, VA ?
Mar 13th, 2005, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

Sorry. Chesterfield, MO. I thought I put this on the Missouri board.
Mar 14th, 2005, 05:05 AM

There is no Missouri Board. Every post in the United States forum appears together.

When you select states, you are selecting search terms.

Keith
Mar 14th, 2005, 05:55 AM

I grew up in Chesterfield, but I left years and years ago. However, I can tell you that St. Louis has fantastic pizza and you don't need to go far to find it. Thin-crust, with a cheese mixture that's very gooey, and cut into squares. I worked at a place called Mama Talayna's; it wasn't bad and it's right on Woodsmill Road. A lot of people love Imo's. My brother drives a distance to Kirkwood area for Farotto's, and my parents go into Affton for Fortel's. All good St. Louis pizzas. When I'm home, I also really like the Pasta House chain. It's kind of Olive Garden-y, but a bit more unique. Their house salad is great, and I like their pasta with broccoli. By Chesterfield Mall is a big K.C. Masterpiece restaurant, which has pretty decent BBQ. I kind of wish they had them on the west coast. If you go into the city, go to O'Connell's pub on Shaw. It's a really old-style bar with a dining area with killer burgers and roast beef sandwiches. Enjoy Chesterfield; it's kind of bland but pleasant enough.
Mar 14th, 2005, 06:01 AM

There are really very few interesting dining spots in Chesterfield.

Try Yia Yia's Eurocafe 15601 Olive Blvd. 636-537-9991.Yes, it too is part of a chain, but it doesn't really have a chain feel. I think the chain seems to allow their individual owners some leeway in their choices.

The only other place in Chesterfield that receives consistantly good reviews is Annie Gunn's 16806 Chesterfield Airport Rd. 636-532-7684.
I've never been, but people who like steak and that men's clubby atmosphere seem to enjoy it.

If you want other St. Louis restaurant ideas, please post back. Chesterfield is only 20 mins. away from some more interesting restaurants (U.city Loop, Clayton, Central West End) Check out www.saucecafe.com for restaurant listings.
Mar 14th, 2005, 06:40 AM

I have to respond to the Imo's suggestion. I grew up in NYC and find Imo's to be vile, disgusting squares of too thin, sticky cheese (provel a St. Louis invention) yuck, it makes me shudder to just think of it. On the other hand, many people think Imo's is great and it certainly is a taste of something unique to St. Louis. It all depends on your individual pizza preferences and the pro-Imo's anti-Imo's discussion in St. Louis seem to go on endlessly.
Mar 14th, 2005, 09:48 AM

Oh Liz5959, how do you REALLY feel about Imo's? I forgot to add: When in the St. Louis area, try to order toasted ravioli. They're a local specialty and can be yummy.
Mar 14th, 2005, 11:59 AM

Message: Yes, I really do feel that way about Imo's, but I have a good excuse, I grew up in NYC, eating "real" pizza. I'm only really a food snob about pizza and bagels (also terrible in St. Louis). My kids will eat Imo's, just not with me!

And yes, anyone coming to St. Louis should try toasted ravs. They are on just about every restaurants appetizer list.

And, sorry if this posts twice. I posted it, but it did not seem to head to the top of the list....

Mar 14th, 2005, 01:15 PM

Liz5959, St. Louis style pizza is not supposed to be like the New York pizza you grew up with. It's different, just like Chicago style is different. If you don't prefer it, fine. But I know a lot of my Midwestern friends who would be rolling their eyes at you if you frequently do this "New York is better" rant.
Mar 14th, 2005, 03:35 PM

The real question is, where is the OP from and what is s/he really looking for in dining options. There seemed to be a disdain for "chain" restaurants, and no specific request for anything local, just something different.

I would hesitate to recommend local St. Louis pizza to anyone without warning them that there is no real relation between St. Louis pizza, and what many are used to eating.
And I know plenty of St. Louisans who think Imo's is awful.
Mar 18th, 2005, 11:53 AM

My favorite Mexican place is Matador, in the Chesterfield Valley. It's next to Red Robin, in front of Lowe's. Another good Mexican place is El Maguey on Long Rd. Also on Long Rd, you'll find Wildhorse Grill. The happy hour is pretty good, cheap apps and drinks.
Mar 19th, 2005, 03:36 PM

A wonderful place that has been around for years, way before Chesterfield became built up is - Annie Gunn's. Fabuloous food, great atmosphere and the Smoke House connected to it provided some of the wonderful smoked meats,etc...
You can get carry out sandwiches at the smoke House too,
This is far from Chain food, and I kknow you will enjoy it!
As another poster said to experience some original great food you may want to head into Clayton or the Sentral West end for some unique highly regarded restaurants.
Unfortunatly, Chesterfield is run rampant with Chain places.
Mar 26th, 2005, 11:21 AM
MaureenB

You can find lots of good and unique restaurants if you have a car and want to explore other neighborhoods like Kirkwood, Webster, Central West End, the Loop, the Hill, DeMund, etc. In DeMund, next door to Wash. U., we had a great dinner at Jimmy's. Or go to the Loop and see if Chuck Berry is playing at Blueberry Hill. In Kirkwood there's good fish at a place called "Blue something" (Blue Fin?). The Hill, of course, for unbelievable Italian. In any event, get out of suburbia and see old St. Louis and enjoy some local haunts, IMHO.

Mar 26th, 2005, 01:29 PM

I believe you mean Blue Water Grill. It is good.
I agree a little trip east will mean all the difference in the world in the culinary world here in StL.
Mar 26th, 2005, 03:20 PM
MaureenB

Yes-- the Blue Water Grill in 'downtown' Kirkwood is very nice. Thanks, annesherod!