Peak Season - Value Season

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2005, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a little embarrassed to ask this question, but here goes. My husband and I are traveling to Hawaii with our son next summer. This will be the second trip for my husband and myself, and the first visit for my son. When scheduling the trip, I need to work around the school schedule and am trying to figure out when we would get the better rates on hotel rooms. We plan to visit Oahu, Big Island and Maui staying for 14 days. We are traveling from the East Coast, and this will probably be the last visit for quite a while. Can anyone tell me when you get the better hotel rates, in mid/late June, or later in August? I appreciate any help you can provide.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 06:17 PM

We went to Hawaii (Oahu, Maui, and BI) last summer for our honeymoon and loved them all! This summer we are doing Oahu and Kauai. We travel in the beginning of August, which is still peak time. Lots of families travel to Hawaii in the summer. Later in August would definitely get you better hotel rates than earlier in the summer.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 07:11 PM

Oh Sherrie, there is nothing to be embarrassed about. Most of us, if not all, always are looking for ways to cut down on travel expenses. Few of us have unlimited money to just blow the budget so to speak.

Just keep checking websites to see what best value you can get for your money. And have fun planning your Hawaiin trip.
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 06:43 AM

sherrie, Westin Maui Resort and Spa has a promotion for 5 nights stay for $749 (taxes included) + $18/day resort fee that u pay at checkout. the only catch is it's a terrace view, but it's a nice place to stay on kaanapali beach. i booked 5 nights there for my august stay, u should call soon to check on availability.
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 06:44 AM

You'll definitely get better rates if you travel in late August instead of mid to late June. Good Luck !
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for responding. I really appreciate your help. I think I'll definately focus on travel in August. The whole family is really excited and I have to admit that I LOVE all the planning. To me, that's 1/2 the fun. Thanks again.
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 10:11 PM

I'd go for later in the year, sea temps peak late summer too !
What's wrong with looking for the best deal ?
Personally, for a fourteen day trip I'd not try and cover three islands unless you really like rushing around. My wife & I make all these lists of things to do and so on but once we get there it all seems so unimportant
You mention school, but not sure what age group you mean regarding your son.
You might want to look at condos which can be far cheaper than hotels (even if you don't want to cook) although they usually want a minimum stay of 5 or more days.
Choices ... decisions... we are so fortunate, good hunting !
Old Mar 26th, 2005, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info PSPercy. My son will be 13 at the time of trip (8th grade), and school ends middle June and begins early September. That's what I'm working around and I think later in August is probably going to work just fine. We were thinking we would try condo on Maui, either at The Whaler or Kaanapali Alii (sp?). When my husband and I visited two years ago, we stayed at Kea Lani and loved it, but this trip will need to be more economical. Does anyone have experiences at The Whaler or Kaanapali Alii? I've read that you might get a condo that is very nice, or a condo that is in need of an update. It's the luck of the draw, unfortunately. As for your comment about feelng rushed, I was concerned about that too. After reading so many good things about Oahu, I didn't want to miss out on that experience. Oh well, we have plenty of time to sort it all out, and I really enjoy reading this forum, gaining invaluable info. Thanks.