Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

August Honeymoon in Hawaii (Kauai, Maui)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2004, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi!

My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon for next (mid) August, 2005.

We'll be coming from Los Angeles and we are looknig forward to relaxing on beatuiful beaches, hiking to secret coves, enjoying ocean activities and of course, eating and drinking.

Any suggestion out there among the experts as to where we should stay?

We're considering the Princeville and the Four Seasons Wailea.

Thanks in advance for the advice!!

p.s. we'd also like to avoid families/children and are curious about the weather on each island
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 03:02 PM

We're considering the Princeville and the Four Seasons Wailea.

p.s. we'd also like to avoid families/children and are curious about the weather on each island
These are two of the nicest hotels on these islands. Four Seasons on Maui would probably get you LESS children and families than some other hotel/resort choices. But I hope you realize from mid June to early September, Maui is packed with families! There's no escaping them. As far as weather on island in August - hot. August is one of our hottest months, especially when we have no trade winds.

Old Sep 13th, 2004, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply!

Besides being hot, will it rain a lot in Kauai on the north shore where Princville is located?

Or is it typical tropical rains that just passes through?

Sheesh, reading through all of the hotel reviews is tiring; it makes me afraid to book a room anywhere.

Where would you stay for your honeymmon?
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 04:09 PM
bonniebroad

beej74, I wouldn't worry about the rain on Kauai in August. My family's experience there in summer has been brief tropical showers....... that are here and gone! The two hotels you've chosen should be terrific....... I wouldn't sweat it!

Old Sep 13th, 2004, 04:17 PM

There will be plenty of children at the 4S Maui during that time. We stayed Mid July, it was entirely too crowded with families for us and we checked out and went to Lanai. Weather will be warm. Low 80's.

Princeville will be less crowded due to it's location. But there are still families that rent comdos in the area and use the Princeville beach. We just returned, Aug 21-28 and it was easy to find a secluded sopt, either by the massage cabanas or under the trees on the opposite side of the cabanas. If your dates are solid I would keep the Princeville and consider the 4S Big Island instrad, there is an adults only pool and it is also much easire to find a quiet spot. The Orchid is also pretty well laid out for privacy.
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 05:59 PM

As compared to Kauai and the Big Island, Maui is a lot more commercialized and developed. If I was coming from LA, I'd be looking to get away from that on my honeymoon. If you want shopping and nightlife, Maui is great but for nature and solitude, Kauai and the Big Island have more to offer. Besides, who can resist the chance to see the volcano on the Big Island?
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback! I think Maui is not the right place for this trip.

Any advice on places to stay on the Big Island?
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 09:44 AM

4S is the best and it is reflected in the prices. Then I would choose the Orchid followed by the Mauna Lani. A lot of people like the Hapuna Beach or the Mauna Kea. Just MHO's. I have personally only stayed at the 4S, Orchid and Hapuna though.
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 05:22 PM

Eh beej, if you're really into being secluded and amid nature, you may want to check into the Hotel Hana Maui. You won't find nearly any of the kids/families there as you would the resort on the west or south side of Maui. It's all the way out in Hana but worth the drive! I know, I know.....just what you wanted! Another website! But take a look: www.hotelhanamaui.com
Ok, as for weather in August......there are many, many days that top 90 on Maui during the month of August. On Kauai the rain shouldn't be a problem, even on the North shore. Although it doesn't get that beautiful by staying completely rain free. But I doubt you'd get caught in a major tropical storm in Princeville. And even if you did......uh, you're on your honeymoon!
And to answer your last question.....I haven't been on my actual honeymoon yet (but the rehersals for the honeymoon are lots of fun!) but I'm going to do it in Tahiti. But that's because I live Maui.
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 05:25 PM

Ya know, after rereading your original post....."looking forward to relaxing on beautiful beaches, hiking to secret coves, enjoying ocean activities and of course, eating and drinking.", I think you may want to reconsider Maui. At least as far as beautiful beaches, ocean activities and eating are concerned. But just my opinion. Either way......have fun. Happy honeymooning!
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 02:55 AM

I also would reconsider Maui. Four seasons and Princeville will be perfect for your honeymoon. We stayed at the Fairmont Kea Lani for our honeymoon(2 down from Four Seasons) and we loved it.
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 09:37 PM

My wife and I spent our 8 day honeymoon on Lanai. The Manele Bay hotel is on the ocean front with two excellent resaurants on location. You also have the use of The Lodge at Koele. Again, two excellent restaurants there. Another one in the downtown at the Lanai Hotel. Shopping will be your only draw back. There are many things to do, but for your honeymoon, you'll feel like the island is your own. Have a great time wherever you choose to go.
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 10:02 PM

I'd consider the Hyatt Resort on Poipu Beach on Kauai. We've been there several times for Anniversaries in Aug.
There are pools with water slides for the kids, but a quiet lagoon saltwater heated pool that we love. Weather is great, and many restaurants to choose from. There are lots of Honeymoon couples there.
Old Sep 16th, 2004, 07:43 AM

On Kauai: We've stayed in Poipu and Princeville. The latter has far prettier scenery, the former, better (drier) weather, though wet weather should not be a problem in the summer.
Hotel Hana Maui would be ideal if you seek seclusion on Maui; there will not be many children at the hotel, though many pass through Hana on the way to Oheo Pools. The area is a trip back in time, and again, quite beautiful. Hamoa (an unofficial "private" beach of the hotel) and Red Sand (a clothing optional, difficult to reach cove)beaches are not to be missed.
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 07:49 PM

We stayed at the Four Seasons Wailea on our honeymoon in late August. Although it was hot, it wasn't any worse than mid-summer in New England. And the hotel staff spritzing us with Evian water and handing us ice-cold towels from a silver platter while we relaxed poolside made it all the more bearable!
Also worth noting, I recall very few children around the resort. We stayed away from the kids pool area and the only children I can even recall seeing were the brood of Arnold Schwarzeneger and Maria Shriver, who were also guests at the resort!
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 01:23 PM

We just came back from the Princeville resort, and in myy opinion, it was the most beautiful spot on Earth! with the backdrop of Bali Hai it was incredibly romantic and dramatic!
I would stay at the Princeville for my Honeymoon (dh and I have been married 6 yrs, no kids yet)
the Hyatt will have a lot more families and the North shore is more beautiful and lush even than the South side (which of course is still gorgeous!)

we also went to Maui, stayed at the Hotel Hana Maui, which is also incredibly romantic, but no a/c in the cottages may cause a problem in August, we were pretty hot at night because there were no tradewinds (or very light winds at best)
we also stayed at the Grand Wailea, which I know most folks dont find romantic, and it certainly wasnt as romantic as the Princeville, but was gorgous with insane tropical landscaping and an awesome beach, plus a great adult pool with lots of chairs and a grassy area also adult only.
The 4 seasons is beautiful and small, luxury resort, but no adult only pool, if you want smal, you may want to consider the Kea Lani which is right next to the 4 seasons, also small but has an adult only pool.
either way.... you will have a fantastic time!!! The Hawaiin Islands surely are paradise!

Old Sep 21st, 2004, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again everybody!! Your feedback is priceless.

We're still narrowing our choices down, but I think we'll stick with Kauai/Maui and Tahiti as the best option.

Rest assured, when we do go, I'll post our experience!
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 05:49 PM

We did a Oahu/Kauai/French Polynesia (Tahiti/Bora Bora with a day trip over to Moorea from Tahiti) vacation a few years back and it was (not surprisingly) a wonderful experience that really gave us a full range of different Polynesian experiences. It's amazing to realize that the modern Hawaiians sailed to their present home all the way from Bora Bora (at least according to Hawaiian legend - and probably true). It's such a longgggggg way, and the Hawaiian islands are so very remote. How the heck did they ever even find them out there?

Anyway, if you do the combination you are suggesting, it will be the trip of a lifetime! Prepare to be amazed by all the beauty you will encounter. The Hawaiian islands are just gorgeous, and French Polynesia almost makes them seem plain. Bring a LOT of film (it's REALLY expensive to have to buy it in French Polynesia) - or a whole lot of digital camera memory.

Oh, and I think you already know this - do NOT just stay on Tahiti itself. Moorea, Bora Bora, or any of the other Society Islands are a much better choice than Tahiti itself.

Ken
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Ken!

Where did you stay in Bora Bora and Moorea?
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 10:02 AM

We stayed one night on Tahiti at the Intercontinental Beachcomber (then known as the Parkroyal Beachcomber) then flew out to Bora Bora where we stayed at the Bora Bora Pearl Beach for 5 nights, then back to Tahiti (and the Beachcomber) for another night, before flying back to the US (via Hawaii) after midnight the following evening. Our last day on Tahiti we headed out to Moorea on a day trip tour. It wasn't much time there, but we made the most of it (toured the island, then swam with the dolphins at the Moorea Beachcomber Parkroyal (now the Intercontinental)). Would have liked to spend more time (especially in FP), but we did all we could in 19 days (4 nights Oahu, 5 night Kauai, 1 night Tahiti, 5 nights Bora Bora, 1 1/2 nights Tahit, 1 night Oahu). All in all, quite a trip.

Liked the Tahiti Beachcomber Parkroyal well enough (they have an awesome sand-bottom "horizon" pool) and LOVED the Bora Bora Pearl Beach. The actual island of Moorea is more beautiful than the island of Bora Bora (parts of Bora Bora are a bit "scruffy", whereas Moorea was very manicured looking (almost parklike)). The lagoon at Bora Bora is just jaw-droppingly amazing though. Single most exotic-looking and drop-dead gorgeous place I have ever been. It's an incredible experience to be out half-a-mile from the nearest land and be standing in calm, clear water just 4-5 feet deep or so. Like a a gigantic swimming pool stocked with fish. Absolutely surreal!

While we loved Hawaii, we find that French Polynesia (and the nearby Cook Islands for that matter) are much more exotic and idyllic - more like how most folks imagine a tropical paradise to be.

Photos: http://community.webshots.com/user/lordbalfor

Ken

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -