Cheeca Lodge - what is your opinion?

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 07:08 AM
Tracy

Cheeca Lodge - what is your opinion?

My husb and I have finally picked a place to stay in the Keys this year, we are going with the Cheeca Lodge (we got a pretty good internet deal). I know it's a recommendation of Fodors and other travel guides, but I wanted YOUR opinion of how you liked or disliked it. Our room is a garden room w/ property view. Let me know! (including if you liked the staff, restaurants, etc.) Thanks!

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 09:53 AM
Gretchen

It's been a while since we were there but I have always wanted to go back. I loved the place and its "feel".

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 10:54 AM
Judy

We stayed there about 4 years ago. I like the atomosphere like Gretchen said, but I felt it was overpriced for what it was. They charged us tennis court fees... pretty chintzy IMO. We had the same type room too, garden view. It was showing it's age then, so I am thinking they have hopefuly remodeled. Location is great and close to Lorelei's, a fun restaurant and bar. Have a great time whatever you do.
Judy

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 11:02 AM
ALF

I agree with Judy. Its a great location, but for the cost we paid for the room, we did not expect to be nickled and dimed for everything else. The tennis courts are great, there is a smallish pool that is OK for cooling off. The restaurant has good food (but, again, overpriced). There are some nice waterfront lounging areas, but the beach is not very good - not much sand. As noted, there are several good restaurants in walking distance. If I'd paid less for the room, I guess I would have been quite happy.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 04:57 AM
michael

My wife and I spent our anniversary at Cheeca last February and we really enjoyed ourselves. We were upgraded at no extra cost to an oceanview room, and found the service to be great. The formal dining room is overpriced and I'd pass aside from a stellar Sunday brunch. Only complaints: totally agree on the nickel and dimed aspect--everything costs "extra" even a trip to the gym which in this day and age borders on offensive when you're paying $250+ per night. Also, make sure you like kids because they're everywhere, including diapered in the pool. But we'd return. I would also consider the Moorings next door which looked incredibly romantic and secluded and provides activities such as tennis, kayaking, etc. for free.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 06:26 AM
J T Kirk

I think it's overpriced. And too big. I prefer smaller, more intimate places. But, it is a nice place. The rooms are clean. Nice pseudo-beach. Restaurants are good (not great, but better than adequate). It has too much of a golfy-thing going on. I feel like I'm NOT in the Keys when I'm there; instead, I feel like I'm at some gold resort anywhere else. It's . . . generic-feeling. I like the Moorings better. This is just my opinion based upon my rather narrow tastes.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 11:00 AM
marcia

My husband and I stayed at the Cheeca in October and loved it. Just keep in mind it is not the Ritz. It is meant to be "old Florida style"--not a high rise ala Ft. Lauderdale. We had a spacious king bedroom/living area/kit/screen porch. Across US1 is the Outpost store which has everything needed to stock your fridge for a few days wine/beer/snacks/gormet sandwiches. I hate to be captive at resorts where the "lobby store" nickles and dimes you. Also across US1 (within walking distance) are two great restaurants--Morada Bay, go at sunset and order a drink, sit in a chair on the bay and watch the sunset. Pierre's is next door and the World Wide Sportsman (Bass Pro Shop)is also on the bay side with fishing charters and all that goes with fishing. Cheeca has a fishing pier also. During our stay George W. Senior took over the Presidential suite for the annual Bonefishing tournament. And by the way we stayed there on American Express Reward points.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 11:03 AM
sn

I second the Morada Bay call...it's incredible--everything a beach vacation meal should be. Frankly, I wouldn't bother eating anywhere else in Islamorada--it's just a waste of time and money.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 10:18 PM
x

Given the first five - or so - replies...WHY would anyone pay +250/nite for a place such as this?

I'm serious: Is there just too much "discretionary" income in American life to actually expect VALUE for your dollar?