Search

Hotel Grand Oro

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 2011, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel Grand Oro

Since everyone has been so helpful on the beach side of our trip, I thought I'd get some input on the last night of our stay. We've stayed at Xandari, Peace Lodge, and Finca Rosa Blanca near SJO and loved them all. However, we have never stayed in San Jose or spent in time in the City (we're not museum folks, but love markets).
Is San Jose a can't miss on a trip to CR (this will be our fifth trip)? If so, I've read that the food at Hotel Grand Oro is awesome. Does it justify spending the night there? Any other recommended hotels--or should we return to Xandari (great villas but so so food).
Old Nov 8th, 2011, 02:55 PM

We love Xandari too and also have enjoyed the Peace Lodge. We stayed at Grano de Oro on our first trip, to be closer to the airport, and we found it to be charming. We arrived late after a long drive, and they came to our room and surprised us with a beautiful fruit plate gratis. I don't think they do that anymore, but it set the tone for the level of service we received. The restaurant was very good, and more sophisticated than others we've seen in CR. The hotel is built in an old mansion so has lots of twists and turns, little fountains, and some rooms have gardens. Our room was basic and fairly small, but we got the smallest standard room, and it was comfortable. Some of them are really elaborate. We didn't go exploring since we got there late, but they do have a nice rooftop garden with hot tubs. I remember they had neat old photographs of CR hanging up, and they had a little area for books that said to leave a book you're finished with for another traveler and take one that interests you. We loved all those little touches. If we went back, I'd spring for a bigger room. I don't think our room had ac, but it was cool when were there. It's been a few years since we've stayed there, but it still seems to get consistently great reviews. If you're interested in checking out the city, it would be a good place for you.
Old Nov 8th, 2011, 03:15 PM

I meant to add that we're having the same problem. We enjoyed all of those properties and have a hard time deciding if we want to try someplace new or go back to the places we love. We haven't tried Finca Rosa Blanca yet, but it looks like a place we would enjoy. Good problem to have I guess!
Old Nov 8th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

We really liked FRB--my wife prefers it to Xandari, and the food was certainly better. Not nearly as over the top as Peace Lodge, and the owners, who are American, have a true love of the country and sustainable tourism. I think they also own Arenas del Mar, so we're going to see if we can get a package.
Old Nov 9th, 2011, 02:19 AM

Food is the best part of GDO for me older home rooms poorly
renovated for me very ranshakle location dodgy for walking
areound...

Usually prefer mybeaconescazu.com or The Alta Hotel

GREAT food too great pricepoint $90 on Expedia.com last for me

Escazu prettiest safest area where all the embassies are.

FRB ok remote not great or well located pretty though.
Old Nov 9th, 2011, 02:22 AM

Situated in Escazu, this spa resort is close to Multiplaza. Nearby attractions also include Spirogyra Butterfly Garden and Museum of Costa Rican Art. In addition to …

http://www.expedia.com/San-Jose-Hote...el-Information

Free SJO Xport to from and free secure parking with car too...
Old Nov 9th, 2011, 03:46 AM

I wouldn't put The Alta Hotel on the same par as Xandari or Grano de Oro or FRB. I was completely underwhelmed by the staff, rooms and food there on my recent stay.

jdp - I would look into if they have a package as mentioned. They are run by Cayuga Hospitality http://www.cayugaonline.com/ Can't hurt to ask.
Old Nov 9th, 2011, 05:03 AM

For us, Grano de Oro had a very rich old world feeling to it. We liked the charm of it. Check out tripadvisor for pics and restaurant reviews. It's usually rated the number one hotel in the San Jose area. Thanks for the info. on FRB.
Old Nov 9th, 2011, 07:02 AM

j, I hope you don't mind this tiny highjack, but for anyone who has done the museums, national theater, central market, etc. in San Jose, which of those did you think was worth doing? We always spend a night and just relax at the hotel, but would love to know what you guys think is worth seeing and exploring.
Old Nov 9th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

We went to the central market a few years ago with our taxi driver as our guide. The market was fun although our guide was pickpocketed (or at least he alleged to be pickpocketed) while we were there.
Old Nov 9th, 2011, 01:26 PM

Yikes, I have heard that. Not to wear too much jewelry, and to protect your wallet. What sorts of things do they sell at the market? Is it oriented more towards tourists or locals?
Old Nov 9th, 2011, 01:59 PM

Market more oriented to locals not really that interesting if you've ever been to any other market in Central or South America.

I thought the Gold Museum was interesting and very well set up if you like to take photos but I would skip the rest of San Jose including the Opera House and the Jade Museum. Overall I would say skip downtown San Jose unless you are stuck there waiting for a transfer.

However I do recommend La Sorbetera de Lolo Mora in the market(interesting old fashioned ice cream, get the vanilla plain).
Old Nov 9th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

We had a couple of hours to burn before our flight, and we don't really care for museums. We asked our guide to show us the real San Jose. I definitely would not recommend the market as a "must do".
Old Nov 9th, 2011, 02:49 PM

We enjoyed the Museo de Oro and looking around inside the Teatro Nacional. Beautiful building. . .we even saw an opera there. Love people watching and drinking cappucino outside El Gran Hotel Costa Rica adjacent to the front of the Teatro Nacional.

Big thumbs up to the food at Hotel Grano de Oro. We liked this place, would stay again. Although I wouldn't walk anywhere in San Jose after dark (won't even do that in my own small town!), we certainly don't consider the area dodgy in the daytime and feel quite comfortable walking around, especially over toward Paseo Colon (very near the hotel).

We also enjoyed Hotel Bougainvillea near Heredia. Haven't stayed at FRB or Xandari, understand they are both fabulous luxe properties, certainly more expensive than Hotel Bougainvillea. That said, we thought this hotel was quite nice and situated on a pretty property with lovely gardens.
Old Nov 9th, 2011, 02:54 PM

The gold museum does interest me, and I could definitely get behind some ice cream or cappuccino. The market sounds like it's not really our thing. I'm not much of a shopper anyway. shillmac, a performance at the theater sounds great. Did you just book that directly?

Thanks to everyone for the great info.
Old Nov 9th, 2011, 04:31 PM

Finca Rosa Blanca not my favorite experience, lots of niggly maintenance issues ranging from ant invasions, room safe locks that are broken (and therefore can be opened by anyone with the key), leaky or nonfunctional jacuzzi tubs, and uneven service. It is also as mentioned remote from anything else and you'll want a car. My experience at breakfast was also mediocre so I chose not to have dinner there. Also be aware that tours that they advertise don't necessarily run every day (or the front desk won't give you accurate info). I say pass.
Old Nov 9th, 2011, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

We had a good experience there and really liked the owner and the concept, although I agree that the food was not memoraable. In any event, we are only staying over night as we fly out of SJO the next afternoon. We are planning to stay in the big house this time (and got 15% OFF IN HIGH SEASON!)
Old Nov 10th, 2011, 03:27 PM

volcanogirl, we went to see Carmen there back in 2004. We were staying at Hotel Don Carlos, picked up tickets during the day for about $10 a piece, and had a taxi take us over there and back (although only a few blocks) in the evening. It was fun. Beautiful place. It's something I would do again. We have not been to the Jade Museum, and I would like to do that sometime. I do like the market, too. It is very interesting. Do you have plans to return sometime soon? We are flying there in December via Continental. Why don't you hop on the plane with us at IAH?