Search

Saverge Mountain Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2007, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saverge Mountain Hotel

I am searching for some current information about the Saverge Mountain Hotel and would like anyone's report who has stayed there in the last year or so. I am planning our groups third trip in November and thinking about staying there for 2 or 3 nights before going on to Dominical. The latest posts I saw were from 2005 and they sounded like it was a good place.

When I start reading things on Fodors, I start getting excited all over again.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 09:02 AM

I was there for two nights in late March. I have to say that scenery was gorgeous, the hiking (to the waterfall especially) was absolutely breathtaking, and the birds were great. (We hired a guide for a few hours, saw lots of great birds including two quetzals, and then the next morning my husband saw two more just walking on his own for 10 minutes before we left.)

That said, here are my cautions.
1) The old, basic rooms are very, very basic, stark, almost grim feeling. The one we had was clean, and the view from the front chairs outside was great, but the room itself was kind of depressing. We also had a problem with hot water that took a several hours to rectify (meanwhile we were sweaty from hiking and had hoped they would have already fixed the problem.)

I've heard the deluxe and newer rooms are much nicer.

2) The food was not great. My husband got quite ill from the breakfast buffet on the last day (and we hadn't eaten anywhere else for 48 hours, so it seems likely that the hotel food was culprit). We also were spoiled by great food in other places.

3) The drive through the mountains is beautiful but long and twisty, and those prone to carsickness should be warned in advance.

I'm happy to answer more specific questions if you have them!

Happy planning-
melissa
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 03:18 PM

Hi patams. . .my "take" is a little different. We've stayed there 3 times, and I am planning another weekend in June. We stayed in the standard cabinas the first time--thought it was fine. Last 2 times, we've upgraded to the junior suites. They are nicer, but I'm returning alone in June and will request the standard room again. I thought it was fine.

We've always enjoyed the food. It isn't anything fabulous, no, but has always been a little more than okay (my opinion). You can get sick anywhere, anytime. Last time for us was a high dollar place in California. .. There is also a nice little bar to relax in before dinner. Gorgeous property--and a nice family.

Think it is a terrific place!
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 04:22 PM

Stayed there last month. We stayed in a junior suite, which was lovely. Room was small but cozy, bathroom very nice, we enjoyed the fireplace, which we did use (it gets chilly at night)! I didn't look inside the regular rooms. In general, we thought Savegre was a great place - beautiful setting, great guides, fantastic birding (saw plenty of quetzales), and just a wonderful family who owns the lodge. Food was average, but buffet style, so you can always find something you like - we enjoyed the fresh local trout and the stewed local apples for dessert. We went on afterwards to Uvita, just South of Dominical, and it was a great combination.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all. Do any of you know of a good place for 4 or 5 couples and some singles to stay around Dominical? We have always rented a house but am having trouble finding just what we need that is affordable for everyone.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

shillmac...........how do you get to go alone? May I envy you?
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 05:22 PM

Just adding my positive vote to what Shillmac and others have said above. We were there a couple years ago and really enjoyed it. We had one of the lovely junior suites, never looked inside the standards. Actually I think they may have upgraded us, cause they weren't busy (it was late May). It's a beautiful area. Marino Chacon is a great birding guide. And we saw quetzals up close and personal on the way INTO the lodge. I'd agree that the food is ho-hum, but we never go to Costa Rica for the food anyway. . .
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 05:49 PM

Glover, you said it best. . .I'll bet no one here goes to CR for the food! That said, most of us who keep going back are fond of the tipica comida that we sample there. . .

And the junior suites didn't seem small to us at all; in fact, they seemed roomy. BUT, we could never get the fireplace to work (stay lit), and just rely on the radiator and our wool blankets for warmth. Definitely chilly at night!

Marino Chacon is unparalleled at least in enthusiasm. I've never seen anyone in my life so zealous about birding. It's a treat to go out with him. Quite different from Eduardo's more laid back approach at Bosque del Cabo!

Patams, LOL. . .my husband said just the other day. ."I've had enough of you! Go to Costa Rica for the summer"! LOL

If I irritate him enough, he'll send me off for a few weeks! Seriously, I'll be in school for 3 weeks and have arranged 4 days before school starts and 4 days after it ends for Rancho Naturalista and Bosque del Cabo. There will be 2 weekends in there as well, and I plan to spend one at Savegre and the other either at Arenal or Puerto Viejo. I vowed last month to get myself back to the spa at Tabacon ASAP!

After all of that (school), I have to come home for a conference in Boston, then will immediately go back with my husband and 2 year old granddaughter. Her mom will join us later for a few days before returning to the states with our granddaughter and we will continue on to Panama for a week.

Our older daughter, who lives in Puerto Rico, is between jobs, so I'm working on getting her down there for part of the time as well. Our daughters both have quite a love for CR, dating back to our first visit in 2001. They've both been back many times as well. Still lots of areas they haven't seen, though.

After a month, I will be very homesick (having done this before a few years ago, I know the feeling), but I think the high level of activity will help. Last time I did absolutely NOTHING extra for 3 weeks except one day trip (Highlights of Costa Rica). It's a lot less $$ to do it that way!

I'll be in a bilingual teaching position next year, so am needing to do a little work toward being able to pass the oral exam, which is lengthy and challenging. This was a dream of mine when I retired from Okla. and starting teaching in TX--I just didn't imagine that the opportunity would present itself so quickly, and I am excited about it.

Sorry to hijack the thread yapping about myself, Patams. . .but you will really enjoy Savegre, I think.

By the way, just thought I'd mention this on Fodor's. When inquiring into staying at Rancho Naturalista, I asked about transportation, although my inclination was to rent at the airport and drive straight there upon arriving. I know my way through SJO, and didn't think I would have any trouble getting down there (having been in that area before). Apparently there was a car robbery just last week in that area--so for me to drive there alone, well, I weenied out. I hate that, because I am very independent and like the freedom of getting myself around.

I forget who it was who recommended a fellow named Luis here on Fodor's, but I have contacted him and he is going to drive me for $70 each way. The hotel quoted a driver for $100 each way, so I think riding with Luis will be a treat as well as a bargain! This will be a first for me. It's a long drive, and I'm one to enjoy the silence and thought processes of driving alone. But I'm sure I will enjoy getting to know him as well. He's already promised a nice lunch stop with hot chocolate!
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 05:44 AM

I'm glad everyone else had such good experiences! I have to say that it all depends on your point of reference. I had just spent a week with a family (with fabulous food and classes) and then four nights at Bosque del Cabo, which was luxe and had great food. I guess I was completely spoiled by the other places I'd stayed!
So enjoy and report back!
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 08:06 AM

Shillmac: If it's Luis with Wady Tours (from Orquideas)driving you, he's great. He doesn't drink coffee (although knows a lot about it) so I bet he's an expert on hot chocolate. We're all so envious of your trips.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 09:32 AM

I know several people have used Luis of Wady tours after my mentioning him a couple of years ago when I stayed there. He is a lot of fun. I hadn't heard of him before then.

I have been traveling on my own for years now after my husband goes home from our joint trips. As with most people we have things that we enjoy independently as well as together so I look forward to my solo travels. This summer he is going to hang out with Orlando while I make my way to wherever my niece and her daughter happen to be when we finish our tree identification classes.

I have stayed in the old rooms at Savegre and really don't care for them that much. Seemed pretty run down. We will be living about an hour from there so I am looking forward to spending more time there even if only to run up for the day. It is a beautiful area. As you head down from hwy 2 it is like driving into Shangri La.

There are some bushes right by the bar that attract wonderful hummingbirds.

Glover,
Do you remember jreedich from the AOL board? I still hear from him periodically and he fills me in on his progress with the property that they bought near Trogon/Savegre Lodges. They have planted hundreds of fruit trees. Looking forward to seeing him again. Might even think about staying at Walter's place down the road.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 12:10 PM

Nope, I don't remember jreedich. Yeah, whatever happened to those old aol boards? Sounds like a nice piece of property they have. It looked like Chacon's orchards at Savegre were pretty prosperous. ..
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 08:25 PM

No, it isn't Luis from Wady. I know him, having met and visited with him at Orquideas. Another Luis. . .wish I could remember the post. It was just a random mention. . but good results for me!

LOL, so true about the point of reference. We stayed at Savegre on the way to points south ENDING at Bosque del Cabo 3 years ago. Makes a difference. Everyone's experience is different. I have such fond memories of it, in particular, because of meeting and being introduced to birding by Marino Chacon. I've been hooked ever since. Also, I have to say the standard rooms never seemed shabby or run down to us. Just older. And I have such a nice memory of standing outside our standard cabin in the rain about 6:30 one night, watching another couple approach their cabin at the other end and walking over and asking if she was Molly2 from Fodor's (we'd arranged a meeting online). She was, and that night we put together a fabulous friendship that we have nurtured by e-mail regularly since that July of 2004. She honestly knows more about me and my trials and tribulations than anyone else! The first junior suites had just been built at that time.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 09:36 AM

The Trogon Lodge is an alternative just up the road from Savegre Mtn Hotel. The rooms and food are better there and they offer birding tours. However, I have heard such great things about birding with Mr. Chacon.

I guess it depends on which is a higher priority for you. Regardless.. the area is absolutely gorgeous and the birding is fantastic.

I have stayed at Villas Gaia which is just south of Dominical. Very nice place with individual cabins (some overlooking the ocean). They also have several tour options to offer. We did a fun day trip to Corcovado when we were there.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 10:53 AM

Hi Shillmac! Yes, we not only built a solid friendship that night, but we both became WAY more interested in birding from that time on (Shillmac even more than I),as a result of Marino's enthusiastic guidance.

patams, I didn't find our basic room shabby either. If anything, our room was simple, yet cozy. It was the only place we stayed where we had a truely hot shower (I recall Jill cautioning us to save SOME hot water, LOL!), and we thought the paper flower around the toilet paper such a nice touch, we took a picture of it! The food was, as Shillmac said, above o.k., and we could have almost anything we wanted. A lot of it was very tasty.

Happy Travels!
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 11:27 AM

Savegre, old building or new, is a gem.

cheers

Jerry
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 03:59 PM

Hi, Molly2!

Bout time you weighed in again on Fodor's. I sent off an e-mail to Felipe Chacon today, but stated that if Marino will not be available on the dates I want to stay, I'd like to know ahead of time! Not sure I'd go ahead with the reservation in that case. Went out with Melvin last year, who was very nice--and helpful; but I sure missed Marino's enthusiasm!

Remember the night Marino joined us for dinner? What a great time!

I was just rechecking the prices for the green season. Single person, the standard is $100 (all inclusive) as opposed to $144 for the junior suite. The $88 I'll save will almost get me down there and back. Think I'll bus down and get a driver back. . .

Savegre IS a gem, Jerry. Do you remember the name of the long loop where Marino usually takes you up in The Mule for birding? That is one of my favorite places to be in all of Costa Rica--quite primordial. .you almost expect to see a dinosaur coming through the trees!
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 08:41 PM

We stayed at the Saverge Lodge in February and it was great. Room was fine as was the food. Saw lots of Questzals. What beautiful birds. It is a wonderful place. You will love it.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 10:19 AM

Yes, I do remember, shillmac! What fun we had! And what was that British guy's name; the one who knew so much about birds I thought he WAS a guide!

Yes, indeed, Eagle - a wonderful place.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 04:23 PM

His name was Phillip. I left Savegre with his e-mail address, but never could find it once we were home. Not so with you, thank goodness!

Phillip had an extraordinary amount of knowledge, and I'm sure that he would rather have spent that entire day (as it turned out, until rain and dark stopped us at 6:00 p.m.) with Marino to himself. They were both very tolerant of a tag-along beginner, both patient, and a fellow birder was born that day! I'd just like to tell Phillip (Marino already knows it!).