Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

cheap brunch in sacramento for a group of 15-20??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2005, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi! i organize a monthly brunch in sacramento. we generally have between 15 and 20 in attendance. we had been going to one place for quite awhile (andi's cafe), but they've changed hands and (among other things) no longer want to write separate checks for us. as you can guess, with a group this large, sorting out the bill isn't easy!

east sacramento or mid-townish locations are preferred. roseville, rocklin, folsom, elk grove, etc. won't work; they're just too far away for most of the folks that come to this brunch.

the restaurant should have a variety of food, including "traditional" american breakfast fare (hotcakes & hashbrowns, etc.). it can be 100% american fare or offer a variety; that doesn't matter.

the restaurant should be able to seat us as a group, preferably in the main portion of the restaurant, rather than in a back room.

the service should be reasonably good.

$10 per person would be on the HIGH side for our group. cheaper is better!

thanks muchly!

Old Jun 30th, 2005, 12:29 PM

Honestly - with all those criteria I think you are better off staying where you are and just bite the bullet and assign someone to divide the check.

A <$10 Brunch, main dining room, separate checks, varied menu, good service, in mid-town, with a table large enough for 20 would be a very tall order I would imagine.

Maybe someone will have an idea - good luck!
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 12:36 PM

What about Mimi's Cafe on Alta Arden?
They always have great customer service. Too far away?

Andi's is on Bradshaw how about Bradshaw's on Micron?
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 12:42 PM

How about the Hukilau on 16th?
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 12:55 PM

Is this a weekday or weekend brunch?

If so as Gloria recommends Hukilau has breakfast on weekends and you can make reservations for larger groups.

Here's a link:

http://www.hukilauislandgrill.com/htm/goupmenu.htm

Looks like they add on gratuity for large groups so I'd ask at time of reservation if they will do separate checks.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 01:36 PM

I thought about Hukilau. But Isn't it over their $10 tops budget. from what I remember most b'fast entrees are in the $7 to $9 range. By the time you add beverages and tax you will be well over $10 pp.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 01:51 PM

I thought it's another Fodorites' get-together
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 03:59 PM
Kal

Sacto Fodor's GTG soon at 2 Grand Saloon from 2-5 on a Sunday for The Blues?

What took over for East End Cafe, in the old Shakey's?

Lucky Cafe?
Tower Cafe too far?
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

janis:

i'm happy paying $10-$12 for brunch, but several of the other folks aren't, even though i remind them they could just get a side dish & coffee; nobody says they need to get a full meal if it's not in their budget!

suzie:

mimi's would work for me; i'll have to remember that for the future!

i haven't heard of bradshaw's. can you tell me more about it?

this is a weekend event, saturday morning to be specific.

i don't care for places that automatically add on the gratuity; that's often an invitation for poor service because the server knows they'll get a good tip anyway.

Kal:

tower cafe would have been great, as several of us are going to a movie at the tower theater after brunch. however, "my sources" (before i found this site) told me this venue was both crowded and rather high-priced.

i found lucky cafe on sac mag's best of 2004 and suggested that. several of the others vetoed that location because it's small and expensive, and one person said they'd had bad food there several years ago (apparently it's improved if it made best of sac!).

so we ended up at waffle house downtown. *rolling eyes* there were several people interested in going to pancake circus but the only reviews i found online weren't terribly impressive (one said the floors were filthy, another said the hashbrowns tasted like they were made with "artificial grease"). i've promised them pancake circus for august. do any of you have feedback on PC???