Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Charlotte, Miami, Providence or Denver? Help needed!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2006, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone,

I don't live in the U.S. but I am planning about going back to school next year. I am looking forward to attend Johnson & Wales University, but they have four campuses in the cities listed in the title. Which one is better for me? I am 38, married and I have 3 small children, ages range from 2 to 7. Major concerns are availability of good public elementary schools, availability of real estate for rent, low criminal rates, low cost of living, local attractions for the kids and good weather. High employment rate is also considered as I want to do an 1-year internship after getting my degree (culinary & pastry arts) Thanks in advance for all replies.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 12:47 PM
GoTravel

I don't know that any of them are culinary meccas least of all Charlotte (sorry to all the Charlotte area fodorites but, a spade is a spade and the area is improving)

I think the best city to work in afterward would be Miami. The city carries more foodie clout than the others listed.

I think for the next several years you may need to forget all the other perameters (except affordable housing) and concentrate on your future career.

Does that make sense? The other will eventually fall into place.

Old Jan 31st, 2006, 10:06 PM

I would recommend Providence. Although the weather is certainly colder than Charlotte or Miami, it's a smaller more manageable city and easy to learn your way around in. I've never been to Denver so I can't comment on that one, but for someone moving to the US for the first time, I'd say Providence would be nice because it is 1) safe (safer than Miami i think...?) 2) near lots of other cities (close to boston, new york), 3) eclectic - very diverse for such a small city, 4) academic - home of brown university and providence has a very college feel so as a student you'll feel right at home.
i hope that helps, good luck!
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 03:27 AM

The factor that will determine your choice is your need for good public schools -- I'm not aware of any major cities that can boast them. Specifically, my daugher who has a 3-year-old lives in Providence and will not be sending him to the public schools. Otherwise, it's a fabulous city, and home of the J&W "mothership" school and it's a logical choice for all your other criteria.
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 03:28 AM

Regarding public schools - I'd choose Charlotte from the 4 listed.
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 04:38 AM

Well, GoTravel, you might need to come to Charlotte and check it out before blowing it off. J&W has opened its newest campus here (and taken it away from Charleston) and has an absolutely gorgeous facility. It is the only one that was built from the ground up to THEIR exact specifications--all the others are adapted from standing buildings. Peter Reinhart is the dean of the school.
Our school system was one of two IN THE cOUNTRY to meet the national standards this past year. I would naturally recommend Charlotte. I know a bit about Denver as our son and his family and also our daughter live there. I don't know where J&W is in the city, but I think you will find Charlotte easier to find good living areas for your family.
I have toured the J&W facility several times and taken a great bistro cooking class there. The absolutely phenomenal statistic they have is that 60 days after graduation, 98% of their graduates are employed in their chosen field. Classes are long half days, Monday-Thursday , and many many restaurants and clubs in the area hire students.
The restaurants in Charlotte are quite excellent, by the way. There is now an annual James Beard Society dinner here, and in the fall a culinary arts festival weekend that is terrific. And congratulations for qualifying for J&W.
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 06:32 AM
GoTravel

Hi Gretchen! I do know J&W's history as my husband recruits staff from them on a frequent basis. He attributes Charleston's excellent dining options in part to J&W.

Charlotte does have some very good restaurants but for its size, it should have double what it has.

I think with the relocation of J&W to Charlotte it should improve y'alls culinary offerings twofold.

I have not toured the facility yet but hope to in the near future!

Old Feb 1st, 2006, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all replies, folks. Gretchen's feedback was particularly helpful to me because she already studied at J&W. How did you feel about it? I believe Charlotte has a slight advantage so far. I was there 10 years ago and loved it. The proximity to the Great Smokies is a welcome bonus, because of my little kids, although in this matter Miami would be an obvious choice. As pointed out by "Anonymous", good public schools is my top priority even if I had to choose another J&W location.
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 06:35 PM

I think you will have a very nice quality of life in Charlotte. The corporate community is very invested in that very important aspect of a city's life. We have an incredibly inventive new children's theater and library that has just opened. We have a world class hands on science museum.
And GT, the dining scene in Charlotte is alive and well. J&W has undoubtedly helped it, but it was already on the way. We are a bit of a banking center, yanno. Have some fairly highly regarded sports teams..
I also think Joe Riley has had a lot to do with Charleston's renaissance. Give credit where it is due. He absolutely SAVED Charleston from urban renewal and put it on track to where it is today.
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 06:03 AM
GoTravel

So true! Our beloved Joe Riley!