Notices

Moving across country to Miami Florida

Old Nov 19th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moving across country to Miami Florida

Our son has been accepted to University of Miami School of Medicine. He currently lives in Los Angeles so it is going to be a big, long move for him. I am looking for suggestions of decent neighborhoods near the school where the rent won't be out of this world. Also, does anyone have any moving tips or moving company they reccommend. Thanks for your help.
Old Nov 19th, 2010, 06:30 PM

Has he spoken to anyone at the school? They should have a department, or even just a person who helps students who are relocating to Miami. I would start with contacting the school. They probably have a lot of this information already.

Maybe initially he could live in graduate housing until he learns his way around Miami as one option.
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 07:13 AM

I would most likely rely on my Son to take care of this...I'm sure he can figure out where the best place for him to live may be, once he gets there & figures out where things are...He's what 23 or so ? Time to cut the umbilical cord Mom. Oh, & I agree w/Jaya.
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 07:43 AM

The immediate vicinity around the Civic Center/UM Med School area isn't really desirable. I suggest areas that are accessible to the Metrorail as many students and medical workers take it. The Brickell and downtown areas are now filled with young professionals. If he gets a roommate then he might be able to rent one of the many luxury condos with tons of amenities that are available for less than $1500. The Roads and Coconut Grove would be good areas as well. Less expensive but still decent would be Sunset/South Miami or Dadeland which are the traditional UM student areas. All of these are Metro stops.
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 09:18 AM

RE moving tips or moving companies - Don't move everything. Unless he wants to move heirloom furniture with him, it will be a lot cheaper to set up house in the new location than to move everything from LA. That's going to cost a fortune.

A friend was absolutly brilliant IMO. She accepted a transfer 1/2way across the country and was offered a moving package. She asked for the $$$ instead - and at that time, got it. When she got to her new city (New Orleans), she walked in a furniture store and told them "I have $7000 in cash. I'm going to spend it where they will make some deals for me". They made some deals

Packing, moving, waiting for the furniture, unpacking, setting everything up = a huge hassle. If he has a family and a house full of furniture it's worth moving. A single guy? Going to medical school? Get a quote of moving the stuff and then use that money to buy stuff for his Miami place.

My smart friend loaded up her car with dog and clothes, sold as much as she could and called Goodwill to come get the rest of the stuff. That's the way I'd move to Miami ;-)
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 12:37 PM

Congratulations to your son! I have a friend who went to UMiami, so I'll email and ask what advice she has and post back.
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 02:53 PM

My son moved 1000 miles to grad school. He packed his car as much as possible and sent the rest via a few boxes by FedEx ground. Incidentals he bought after he settled in. The mattress he bought on sale at Macy's after arriving.
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 06:58 PM

The immediate area around UM is Ok, the thing with Miami is that you can cross into a not so great area quickly and not realize it. Coconut Grove is a good suggestion. There are some newer buildings in Dadeleand (near the Dadeland Mall) and there is one new plan where Red Road meets Ponce de Leon Road where I know a lot of students live. I will try to find the name of the building. Brickell is a good location, but it would be a bit farther (30 - 35 mins with traffic) while other areas are closer and you don't waste time commuting. He might be able to find something in downtown Coral Gables. Without knowing the budget it's hard to say.
UM also has an off-campus housing website: http://www6.miami.edu/UMH/CDA/UMH_Ma...9678-3,00.html
Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great responses. He has decided to sell pretty much everything that won't fit into his car and replace necessities once he arrives. The suggestions on where to look for an apartment are very much appreciated. Jaya, unfortunately there is no graduate housing. SAnParis2, thank you for your comment but expecting someone to move and then figure things out isn't the best use of time or resources. Also, just because he is an adult doesn't mean that families stop working together as families.
Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 07:56 AM

Good decision, Babs!

One idea -
Go to craigslist.com
Choose Miami as the city
Click on the MDC tab (Miami/Dade County)
Click on housing
Enter "medical" in the search box and look for "medical" in "all housing".
You'll see a variety of rental options and it may help get a preview of what's available - and where.
Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 12:28 PM

My point is this, as a young adult, what you may consider an acceptable place to live, will not likely equate w/what he finds acceptable. Have you bothered to ask him if he would like/need your help ? Have you considered his feelings towards the whole thing, or are you making decisions for him ? Your job of raising your child is done, let him be an adult. I'm sure if he wants/needs your assistance, he will ask for it. My other point was this - he's isn't going to know where he wants to live until he actually lives there, so I certainly wouldn't commit to any long term lease agreements. I'd also try & contact the Med School & see what info they may share in re: to new students, etc.
Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 03:19 PM

SAN - you're getting a little too heated over this. What's wrong with parents trying to find out info about an unfamiliar area? If he's heading to medical school I'm sure he's quite self-sufficient, but it doesn't mean mom can't still help where needed.

I've done similar things for my son who's in grad school. Like a typical 22 y.o. full time student, they're so busy that it's a luxury to have a parent who is willing to help with things like relocation details.

Posters on other forums ask questions all the time about help with unfamiliar countries and cities.
Old Nov 23rd, 2010, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the positive suggestions. They are helpful and are just what my son asked me to find out. Jaya, you are so correct, going to class full time and holding down a job means his time is limited. He knows I love Fodors and he thought it would be helpful and fun for me to see if we could get feedback from any local Miamian's! I'm not sneaking around or making decisions for him. For heavens sake the kid is smart enough to get into medical school, he doesn't need me to hold his hand. I was kind of tickled that he thought to include me in a small way!
Old May 12th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Just thought I would follow up on this. My son is moving to Miami in June, school starts June 27th. He got rid of everything that would not fit into his car and has saved his money to buy replacements. He is flying to Miami next week to meet up with a realtor to find an apartment. He has made friends with another med student from Boston and they are going to share an apartment in the Brickell area (first choice). My son and his best friend are going to take two weeks and drive across country and do a little sightseeing. He will then have two weeks to get settled before school starts. Thanks to everyone who provided positive and helpful suggestions. We appreciate it very much.