Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Moving to Miami and have never been there...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2004, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello
I am moving to Miami in a couple of months to take a new job yet have never been there! Does anyone know what neighborhoods are good and not so good to live in, tips for living there that say someone from Seattle should know, etc! Also, I am a recent college grad and am taking a job that does not pay much and therefore am on a serious budget. So ANY advise would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 12:07 AM

I can help somewhat, I have friends that live there, but it all boils down to, what kind of budget are you on and will you have a car?

For areas, check Kendall, Coconut Grove, Coral Gables, Miami Beach, North Bay Village. This is how my friend who works for Miami Dade Police broke it down for me: Avoid any address with a NW, Downtown and by the airport isn't that great of an area, and avoid Liberty City, Florida City, or any location dead next to US 1. (I believe it was east of US 1 as he put it.)

I was considering making the move a year ago, and still have some notes, the price range seems to be about $570 - 650 for a studio, and $600 - 800 for a one bedroom on the low end scale.
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 12:20 AM

OK just found my huge map of Miami, and have to add some others to the "places to avoid" list...Homestead, Cutler Ridge, and Opa Locka. I'll drill my cop buddy for more info, as I'm not exact on the direction for the US 1 rule.
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 05:23 AM

If you are a recent college grad moving from Seattle to Miami, you should get an apartment on Miami Beach. What is the point of being young and moving to paradise if you live in a suburb?
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 01:33 PM
PVB

Where will you be working? Miami has SERIOUS traffic and very little in the way of public transportation.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 03:22 PM

It's Hot! It has the world's worst drivers. There is a rainshower everyday. There are creepy-crawly things everywhere and mutant fish.

It's full of Cubans and old people who don't know how to vote.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 04:01 PM

Gene, Jaders82 will be lucky to have cubans as neighbors. Not only will they watch over her, but they will fight the feds if they try bringing her back to Seattle.
I agree, live as close to South Beach as possible. (maybe I'm biased towards the nude beach there). Marry a rich cuban and raise kids there. Florida truly is a magical place to grow up. I thought so.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 06:16 PM

If you are on a serious budget, avoid Coconut Grove, Coral Gables & Miami Beach. The rents are very high there.
In what area will you be working? I have lived in Miami most of my life & my 2 sons are native Floridians...let me know & I will try to steer you in the right direction. You will love it here, especially when it's snowing in Seattle!
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 06:19 PM

By the way, Miss Janna said in her reply to avoid East of US 1....not true! There are beautiful homes there & several celebrities live there. So again, tell me what area your new job is & we can take it from there.