Charleston vs. Savannah

Old May 27th, 2003, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Charleston vs. Savannah

Help! We will be spending our HONEYMOON in the cities of Charleston and Savannah during the week of July 4. Having lived in New Orleans most of my life, I know about great food and hot summers. Can someone recommend good restaurants? Also, is the weather about the same as New Orleans in July? Which city would you recommend spending more time in? Which city would be better for the 4th of July celebration? I'm considering staying in the Francis Marion Inn in Charleston and the Radisson Hotel in Savannah? Are these good places to stay? Any advice on romantic things to do? Your help is appreciated!
Old May 27th, 2003, 06:20 PM

It is hard to say which is better and comes down to personal preference. I grew up 20 mins from Charleston and I prefer Savannah.

I can't exactly tell you why!

Glad you know about the extreme HEAT!

Can't say I know about the July 4th activities. Radisson Hotel looks nice enough and is NEW!

I think I prefer Savannah because I can stroll along the river and shop/eat all at one place. Whereas Charleston you are farther away from the water- Perhaps that is silly but I like it all at one place. I enjoy being able to eat lunch on the upstairs patio, have a shrimp po' boy and people watch. AND don't ask me to remember the name of that restaurant! ;-) You will know it when you see it!

Romantic....I would have to say just strolling along at night along the water. While in Charleston do the Carriage Ride.

There are tons of excellent restaurants for a nice candlelight dinner at both places.

Congratulations!
Old May 28th, 2003, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Alise! I think we may do Savannah first and then Charleston. I hope to do the carriage ride. I would also like to do a dolphin watch in Savannah. Do you know anything about that?
Old May 30th, 2003, 09:32 AM

gr8teacher, You will love both cities but Charleston is so charming and romantic. There is an elegance in Charleston that I have yet to find anywhere else.

Carolina's is an excellent restaurant. Poogan's Porch is a great place for brunch. Mistral's is a good french restaurant....they are all located around the market area. There is so much to do too. If you want some time at the beach I would highly recommend Kiawah Island...gorgeous.

Sounds like a great honeymoon!
Old May 30th, 2003, 09:36 AM

gr8teacher, I lived in Baton Rouge for half my childhood and the heat in the Charleston/Savannah area is not as bad as Louisiana.

You will love both cities but Charleston is so charming and romantic. There is an elegance in Charleston that I have yet to find anywhere else.

Carolina's is an excellent restaurant. Poogan's Porch is a great place for brunch. Mistral's is a good french restaurant....they are all located around the market area. There is so much to do too. If you want some time at the beach I would highly recommend Kiawah Island...gorgeous.

Sounds like a great honeymoon!
Old May 30th, 2003, 09:37 AM

Oops, didn't mean to post twice, sorry!
Old May 30th, 2003, 11:46 AM

We spent a week in April going to Charleston and Savannah. Wished we'd had more time in Charleston and skipped Savannah. Take your time with your new hubby and enjoy Charleston and the surrounding areas like Kiawah and the plantations. Very, very romantic.
Old Jul 4th, 2003, 11:43 AM

no contest. Choose Charleston. Charleston's historic district is clean and beutifully preserved, not to mention much more interesting than Savannah's. My wife and and were quite disappointed with Savannah. We found it to be dirty and a bit unsafe even during daylight hours. The historic district had a few interesting points, but was pretty run down.
Old Jul 4th, 2003, 11:49 PM

Savannah/Tybee Island. We have power boat races off the beach. (The Grill Beachside Restaurant) on the deck. and bands playing all night. come out.
I'm a bartender there,,,I have to give myself a plug