Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Savannah vs Charleston SC , how long on a time budgeted trip?

Old May 8th, 2002, 08:05 PM
Brooke

I need input here from all of you travel experts. My parents and I are going to visit both Savannah and Charleston. It is our contention that Charleston will have more to see and do versus Savannah. Now don't get me wrong I have heard marvelous things about Savannah. But we can only pick one of the two cities to stay longer in. What is your opinion. Any ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated!

Old May 8th, 2002, 08:31 PM
Danie

We just got back from a week between both places. If I had to choose between the two, Charleston for sure would be my pick. At lot more to see, much more of a city, lots and lots of history. Accomodations are much nicer, restaurants galore, lots of shops, all in all much much nicer. I would definitely go back to Charleston. I am happy I saw Savannah, but I don't think I need to go back. Have fun

Old May 8th, 2002, 08:46 PM
kelly

definetely Charleston!!!

Old May 9th, 2002, 09:55 AM
Brooke

Thanks for replying, you pretty much confirmed what we have been thinking!

Old May 9th, 2002, 10:24 AM
jim@aol

Brooke,
Charleston has more to see and do, and more exceptional restaurants. I live in S.C. and visit both cities often.
Have fun.

Old May 9th, 2002, 10:38 AM
dan woodlief

About to make my second trip to Charleston. Haven't been to Savannah but have been looking into it. For Charleston, 4-5 days is good for a fairly relaxed pace. This will allow time for 1-2 plantations, Patriots Point, Ft. Sumter, 2-3 house tours, walking around town a lot, some shopping, and maybe even a little time at the beach. I would guess two days for Savannah would be fairly adequate, but I haven't actually been there yet.