Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Charleston, Savannah - Just Starting to Research

Old Jul 12th, 2007, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

I've just started to research a little trip (from South Florida) to Charleston and Savannah. We've never been anywhere near either.

They appear to be close together. Do they really fit together as one trip?

We're not really museum goers. We like to wander around and see nice places and scenery.

I've checked weather averages and of course the best time (defined as a combination of mild temperatures, around 80, and low chance of rain) seems to be the best time for any other place. May (or possibly late April) looks like that time.

My first thought would be to fly into one, train to the other and fly back.

Maybe 2-3 days in each place.

Is a car necessary or recommended? That is, is part of the experience to visit places not accessable thru walking or normal public transportation. I'm not averse to renting a car but then you usually have city parking issues.

In view of the above, I would appreciate any direction.

Thanks.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 05:46 AM
DRJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Myer: I live between the two and while Savannah is an hour away and Charleston is two, Charleston is, by far, my favorite. I don't believe that there is train service between the two. And a car is a liability in Charleston.

Charleston in late May and early June is the venue for Spoleto, an absolutely top drawer cultural extravaganza. And the weather is good that time too.

Hope this helps.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

DRJ,

Thanks for the quick response.

Mapquest has the distance between Charleston and Savannah at 110 miles or 2 hours.

Amtrack appears to have 2 trains daily (one morning and one evening) at a bit under 2 hours.

You mentioned that a car in Charleston is a liability. Is Charleston the type of city that after a day is done and then requires excursions outside or does it have enough for 2-3 days of sightseeing without driving outside?

Isn't it great to have locals all over the world?

Thanks.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 08:15 AM
DRJ

Myer: I live on Hilton Head Island which is twenty or so miles from I-95 (sort of the connector between the cities, so my driving estimate may be inacuarate). And Amtrack, of course, doesn't come anywhere near my city and may very well connect twice a day.

Charleston is a very walkable city and without venturing into the countryside a car is, truly, not necessary. However, one could visit a couple of the old plantations nearby requiring a car. Of particular interest is Middleton Plantation, largely destroyed in the Civil War. Adjacent is Middleton Place (an inn), IMO the best piece of modern architecture in SC.

Hope this helps.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

DRJ,

Thanks again.

I did some reading lunchtime and it almost looks Charleston and Savannah are quite similar in their visitors' patterns.

If I visit both, a year later will I be confused about what I saw in each?

How different or similar are they?
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 10:00 AM

My personal opinion is that they are as different as night and day. Savannah is my favorite. The best time to see Savannah is in April when the Azaleas are in bloom. Fantastic!!!

Depending on where you are coming from, you may not have direct flights to either city.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 10:17 AM

In April, my wife, two daughters (age 8 and 9) flew into Charleston where we did some sightseeing before driving to Savannah for another day of touring before finally settling into Hilton Head for a few days of a beach vacation. First, there are ample parking lots in Charleston (there is also a local map showing their locations), so having a car there was not a problem. The girls loved the carriage ride and the market area-- I couldn't sell them on the ferry to Ft. Sumtner. In Savannah, my 9 year old and I ventured on one of the ghost tours which was a great way to see the city. We also all went on one of the river boat rides which everyone enjoyed. The two cities really have remarkably different feels, so I don't think that your visits will blur.
And, while driving between Savannah and Charleston, I recommend that you experience Bubba Cue's, a newly opened bbq buffet along Route 17 in Ravenel, SC (just southwest of Charleston and about 25 minutes from the Charleston International Airport). You expect (actually, hope) that Bubba-Cue's is the type of the place where you'll find the diamond in the rough-- the roadside haven where great food and friendly service are legendary. Bubba-Cue's doesn't disappoint and, in fact, exceeded, all expectations. Andy, the owner, is a friendly (albeit a tad shy) host who is a master of smoking his own meats and devining the secret to the best of North Carolina and South Carolina bbq sauces.
Enjoy your visit.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 01:55 PM

My husband & I were in savannah/charleston in late April. We flew into charleston-rented a car -drove to Savannah(about 2 hrs). Stayed in savannah 3 nights and then drove back to charleston and stayed 4 nights- & then flew home.
They are very different cities. We loved both of them and felt that the car was an asset. One suggestion i would make, is to read the tripadvisor reviews of the Holiday Inn Historic District in Charleston. They have a very creative concierge that gives great itineries. We did not use the car in either city as Jitneys are available. But in Savannah we drove out to the Cemetary and Tybee Island. In Charleston we were able to drive to the plantations. We loved our trip. P.S. The food is awesome!
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 05:51 PM

I have visited both cities on the same trip a couple of different times - driving on both. I think they are very different and seem to have distinctively different "vibes." Both are interesting walking cities.
Old Jul 15th, 2007, 08:49 AM

Two days for each town should do it when you're not museum or house tour minded.You wont need a car unless you plan to visit for ex. Tybee island or other places.For hotels we stayed in the King Charles inn in Charleston and in the Quality inn heart of Savannah.Close to all the sights.If you want to take it easy you can take the Old Town trolley in Savannah.You can get on/off all day and the driver is a very good guide.Paul
Old Jul 15th, 2007, 08:43 PM

I am also planning a trip to Savannah next spring with my mom and her friends (ages76-80)... is it too much a walking town or can I drive around to most places. I already told mom don't forget her handicap card for parking!
Old Jul 15th, 2007, 11:16 PM

Myer: I have a long file on Savannah. I've been having problems with my e-mail, but if you would like the file I'll do my best to e-mail it to you. We've never been to Charleston, but hope to visit there someday in the not too distant future.

We combined Savannah with St. Augustine last September and had a terrific time. We stayed at the Ballastone in Savannah. It was a splurge but worth every penny. We did a day trip to Beaufort, S.C. and spent an afternoon on Tybee Island. Many interesting houses to visit, some churches, River Street is fun to browse. We too did the river cruise and the on/off tour. The Bonaventure Cemetery is a must, as is lunch at Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House.
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 12:23 AM

for smom. It's a walking town.Finding parking space is not easy.Take the Trolley .Paul