Car rental suggestions - CA coast drive

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have any recommendations for car rental companies for a drive from San Francisco to San Diego. Obviously we are looking for something without a drop off fee for not returning the car to the place where we picked it up.

Thanks!

Old Jul 15th, 2007, 08:23 AM

I recently rented a car in San Francisco from Hertz, using my AAA discount. I dropped it off at LAX after driving about 3,000. I was pleased with the rate, which was more than if I had returned the car in San Francisco.

We picked the car up at the Hertz desk in the Fairmont Hotel, which convenient to where we were staying.

Old Jul 15th, 2007, 08:29 AM

Normally you dont have to pay any drop off fees as long as you stay in California.We rented with Alamo.They are pretty pushy to tell you to take an upgrade in car or insurance. Paul
Old Jul 15th, 2007, 03:23 PM

Try Avis, with Delta Airlines discount code K817625. They have a location in downtown San Francisco as well as the airport. Hertz and Alamo and National all have e-coupons on their sites for one-way rentals...but Avis worked out cheaper for us this time.

I usually go to rentalcars.com to see which companies have the lowest rates offered on my dates of travel...then go directly to that car companies website to plug in my discount code or coupon code.
Old Jul 15th, 2007, 10:00 PM

Different companies ahve different promotions are various times, so it's hard to say who's going to be charging a dropoff fee/not.

I'd suggest using a site like Travelocity or Orbitz and plug in your dates and pick-up and drop off locations. Find the one with no/little drop off fees and go to the car agency's site directly and book there.
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 01:07 AM

I've picked up in various cities in California and dropped off at others. The question really isn't drop off "fees", but some companies charge a totally different daily rate depending on where you are dropping off or returning to the origin -- so that is really just like a fee.

I've always researched a lot and tried lots of discount sites and special codes, but in almost every case I've ended up booking directly with Dollar for the best price of all. And in many cases, after booking I've kept checking and the prices have gone even lower, so I rebooked at the lower price. My experience has been that the lowest price seems to be about 3 weeks before the rental period.