Cascades Loop Hotels

Old Jun 1st, 2005, 07:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cascades Loop Hotels

I hope this doesn't get posted twice, but I don't see my first post.
In late August, couple in their 60's are going to spend a week with son and d-i-l and one-year-old--3 nights Seattle then 3 nights O.P.
Then the 60's couple (my husband and me) are leaving Friday at noon to drive the Cascade Loop (counter-clockwise). We will be back in Seattle Sunday night. (day before Labor Day).
Questions: What are suggestions for the two nights stops along the Cascades Loop (Leavenworth, Chelan, etc.) and hotel suggestions??

Thanks,
Vera
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 07:52 PM
mms

One of our favorite places in Leavenworth is Pension Anna (www.pensionanna.com). They have a few rooms for just under $100 per night, but I would call to see if that rate is available for during the summer. If the rates are higher than that, I would see if you could swing it. Each room is unqiuely decorated and the owners are just so nice. We have stayed there many times and have always been pleased.
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 06:58 AM

We've stayed several places in Leavenworth, and Pension Anna is as good as any of them and it has an unusual "European" style breakfast, as I recall.

There are several good places to eat in Leavenworth, but all-in-all we have been most satisfied with the branch of the Italian restaurant from nearby Wenatchee that has taken up residence in the Leavenworth Brewery.

Several of the rooms at nearby Blackbird Lodge have great mountain views; however, breakfast there is a cold affair shoved through a little door.

In Winthrop, the Rio Visa is the best conveniently located place downtown (fairly new after having been burned to the ground by candles a couple years ago). Sun Mountain Lodge is THE place to stay in Winthrop, but it is pricy. However, it is a great place for a meal while sitting on the bar's mountain-view deck.

If you pass through Twisp at lunch time, Fiddlehead Bistro is supposed to be a good place to eat.

Have a great time with family and NW.
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 07:08 AM
mms

Happytrailstoyou--We have stayed at the Blackbird Lodge quite a bit too I didn't mention it because the rooms were quite a bit over the requested rate. Is the Italaian place you mentioned Visconti's? If it is, that is one of our favorite places. The food is not as heavy as most places in town. Yes, the Pension Anna does do the European style breakfast.
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 07:10 AM

Vera,

I just saw the under $100 room rate request in your other post. In that case, I recommend Winthrop Mountain View Chalets. These are cute little cabins you will encounter as you enter Wintrop from the east. The rooms have a queen bed, little kitchen, TV, and deck. The rate is $80, but less ($71 I think) for seniors. The nice people who run this place accept reservations with a Visa card: 1-800-527-3113

You can find photos, e-mail address, and more by typing "mountain view chalet winthrop" in Google.

Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 07:19 AM

mms,

Yes, Viscontis it is. We used to like to eat whatever was cheapest on the menu at Lorraine's, but she was out of business the last time we checked.

I wanted to recommend to Vera the place that used to be a Travelodge in Winthrop, but it isn't a Travelodge any longer. If price is a big consideration, that motel had some very reasonably priced rooms. It may now be the Howard Johnson Express Inn; I see in my AAA Guidebook that they have rooms as low as $59.

Vera, I also Just noticed you are traveling on an August weekend. In that case it would be wise to make reservations as soon as you know your exact travel dates.
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. Now what do you have to say about what towns we should aime to stop at for two overnights? We leave Seattle airport at noon on Friday. Is Leavenworth about the right distance? If so (or if not) what would be the best place for second night. It is Labor Day weekend, and I'm trying to get reservations in the next couple of days, as I'm sure it is a very busy time.

This kind of detail is what makes this board so great!!

Vera
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 12:03 PM
mms

Leavenworth would be a perfect place for that first night. Be warned though that traffic heading out of the city on a Friday, especially in the summer, will be hectic. As long as you don't dilly dally at the airport you should be ahead of most of it. That would put you into Leavenworth around 3ish, which gives you plenty of time to roam the town and even go for a short hike if you wish. Definitely walk down along the river on Blackbird Island.

I cannot help as far as other cities to stay. We backpack so all our other ventures out that direction are more rustic than what you are looking for.

Make sure you have your camera though, it is a beautiful area!
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 01:38 PM

It is about 140 miles to Leavenworth from SeaTac and, as mms warned, traffice will be heavy. The fastest drive would be via Snoqualmie Pass (I-90) and Blewett Pass (97). Considering that traffic usually moves better on I-90 that I-5, I suggest this routing rather that Rt 2 over Stevens Pass.

Leavenworth and Winthrop are ideal places to spend the night.

You can easily check out Chelan on the way to Winthrop.

Let us know if recommended motels are books or require 2-night stays on Labor Day weekend.
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks, guys. I've booked Pension Anna at $109 per night. They had lots of availability according to the web site, but I called to book so I could get more details. Next, I'll check out Winthrop Mountain View Chalets and Rio Vista and maybe Howard Johnson Express.
Drive-time info is much appreciated, too!
Vera
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 02:27 PM
mms

Anna at the Pension keeps a notebook of things to do in the area as well as in town. Let her know you are from out of the area and she give you copies of anything you want. She has maps and hiking information as well.
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 04:59 PM

Just an option:
As mentioned traffic can be horrible on Fridays (or anyother day) leaving Seattle heading north.

The I-90 route probably is a bit faster, but the hiway 2 route is very pretty.

Sea-Tac take I-405 north.
Take the state road 522 to Monroe.
Left on Hiway 2 at Monroe.
Don't forget to stop at the Barring Store for a cold drink!

Have fun
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

YIKES! after getting the Pension Anna Reservation for Friday Sept. 2, I am finding it very difficult to get anything reasonable for Saturday Sept. 3. They all want at least two nights. Even if I pay for two nights, I can't stay, as I have to be back in Seattle Sunday night.
One inexpensive place jumped their normal high from $85 to $100 and demanded THREE nights! I'm trying other towns that look like good half-way points, but need some suggestions. Should we try to get all the way around the loop from Leavenworth back toward Seattle?
Vera
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 06:04 PM

Try Idle-a-While Motel in Twisp (509 997-3222), the town where Fiddlehead Restaurant is located. It's about 10 miles from Winthrop. Also, check with www.winthoplodging.com and similar sites.
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 06:52 PM

The friday before Labor day the traffic coming over the mountains will be heavy, especially if the weather in Seattle has been so so. We have wonderful warm weather here and people usually head this way on long weekends. If you have a LARGE amount of patience go Highway 2. There are hardly any passing lanes and you can get stuck behind motor homes for miles. The scenery is beautiful if your patience can hold up. I90 is much faster and Blewett pass can be slow but at least there are passing lanes. Just make sure if you go the I90 route that when you get to the bottom of Blewett pass and turn left to go to Levenworth that you obey the speed limit. (That goes for the trip to Chelan also) That stretch of highway is known for it's speed traps, in fact its one of the most profitable (ticket wise) stretches in the state. I live in Wenatchee, which also has some awesome scenery and wonderful parks and trails. Have a wonderful trip and enjoy our area!
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Tried all the recommendations, but all the hotels want two or three nights, and we have only one night and don't want to pay double/triple. So we're going to drive on north and west around the loop adn stay back on the freeway leading to Seattle. Gives us an opportunity to do some other exploring on Sunday.
Too bad we had only these particular days to do this loop.

Vera
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 06:53 PM
mms

Vera--Sorry it worked out that way, but I am sure you will still enjoy yourself. You might even stop somewhere along the way and ask if they have an opening for just one night. You never know. Please post after you return and let us know how the trip went.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 07:49 PM

I'm glad I won't be on this trip. Sounds like a drag.
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Would be a drag if we had to take a troll along.