Search

Amicalola Lodge

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amicalola Lodge

Any recent feedback on staying at Amicalola Lodge or any Georgia State Park Lodge.

We are family with 3 young kids looking for simple and inexpensive way to get a little nature from Atlanta. I don't feel like camping or being in cabin where I need to manage all the meals (just like home!).

Don't expect too much for the price just basic, clean, nice views, walks.

Thanks
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 03:05 PM

I haven't stayed there recently but I have stayed there when my kids were small. It was nice enough - clean, spacious and definetly better than camping IMHO. I have been there recently to see the falls and everything looks like it is being kept up nicely.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 06:06 PM

So, are you planning to eat all your meals at the Lodge?

I think I'd prefer staying at a cabin at near a town with a lot of options for eating out - or eating in without cooking. I think I'd get tired of eating at a state park lodge for all our meals.

One thing with cabins (or condos in Hawaii) is that you get more room and you don't HAVE to use the kitchen to cook. But, the full size fridge sure comes in handy for basic breakfasts, snacks, drinks and take-out.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 07:40 PM

I took a look at the photos and the Lodge looks very nice. I still think I'd prefer to be in a cottage with more room for the 3 young kids. They can also get out and run around more than a regular hotel room - even ride their bikes and trikes if you bring them. The executive and junior suites look nice - more room than the regular hotel type room. You can still eat at the lodge if you stay in a cottage.

You may want to consider a cottage at Black Rock Mtn State Park. A friend goes regularly with her family. GREAT views and only a few miles from LOTS of restaurants in Clayton and Dillard.

Eat family style breakfast or dinner at the Dillard House.
Great breakfast and seafood dinners at Miss Meg's.
Good family owned NY Italian restaurant at Mama G's.
Pizza from Pizza Hut or several other options.
Chinese buffet, Japanese restaurant, several Mexican restaurants and Chick Fil A too!

Splurge and rent a boat for the day on Lake Burton.
Go to Tallulah Gorge.
Lots of hikes in the area.
Old May 10th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Took the family to Amicalola. Cabins were all booked so just went for the lodge.

Room was roomy with Loft with Double Bed, King size down below and hide-a bed couch. Views were lovely. Bathroom small. Room very functional but not spectacular. A bargain at $99 though.

Drove up late after work on Friday. Got right to sleep. Woke up to Fog (thus no view) on Saturday morning. Had granola bars and lots of fruit (that we had packed) in the room for breakfast. Hit the falls trail. Very beautiful. Lots of stairs and the knee is still a bit off but we really enjoyed it. Came back from lots of hiking to a very decent buffet lunch. Back to the room for naps then to visitors center for a little kids program (knots) then off to Dahlonega (about 30 minutes) for a stroll around the town, listen to some mountain music in the square (apparently every Saturday 2-6pm through Labor Day) and ate at a decent Cajun Place on the upper floor balcony. Enjoyed the general store and some of the shops. Breakfast at the lodge (fine) sunday morning, packed up the car and headed out for another hike before hitting the road around 1pm (stopped at the DQ on way back to Atlanta). Beautiful, can't wait to explore more.
Old May 10th, 2007, 05:27 PM

We have stayed at Amicalola Lodge and Brasstown Valley Resort with kids. They are clean, comfortable places. The food is average (but you don't have to cook, and as a mom that's always appealing to me), and it's an easy drive to nearby restaurants. Brasstown has an indoor/outdoor pool, a little game room and a playscape. Amicalola has a playground area. At Amicalola, we have stayed in one of the top floor rooms with a loft area. At Brasstown, we have stayed in the hotel and we have stayed in one of their "cabins". The cabins give you more space. Both places are easy weekend trips from Atlanta for a young family.