Search

HELP on Lodging

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2002, 06:18 AM
MED

HELP on Lodging

Hello,
Does anyone have any feedback on the Lighthouse Lodge and the Merritt House Inn both in Monterey?
We were almost settled with the Gosby House Inn in Pacific Grove (seems people from the posts like it and the price is good) when my sweet hubby in checking things further came up with these 2 as other possibilities. We've never even been to the Monterey area before, so any feedback on these 2 places and suggestions with respect to alternatives would be very helpful.
In reading the posts, it appears to me that PG is quieter than Monterey, but then again I also read that it's very hard to find parking in Carmel, so maybe we s/find a place there. HELP...now we're completely confused!
We will be there in 2 wks., so we need to book this weekend.
Thank you all very much.
-MED ;-)

Old May 10th, 2002, 10:32 AM
MED

pls. HELP...anyone?

Old May 10th, 2002, 06:45 PM
Mary

Do you mean the Lighthouse Lodge and Suites in Pacific Grove? Sorry I can't give you direct feedback--we're booked to stay there in August, so I hope it's nice! The price seems reasonable, they offer breakfast and afternoon BBQ, they are located right by the municipal golf course, and, I believe, across from the beach. I've seen favorable write-ups in some travel guides, but I would be very interested in hearing from anyone who has stayed there.

Old May 13th, 2002, 07:34 AM
Suzie

I stayed at the Lighthouse Lodge. Here's the scoop. The Suites are located away form the lodge area. I must say that they are very nice and they had an afternoon reception for those staying there. The lodge area is up the street and I am warning you if you get a room here you will be sorry. We were planning on staying there 2 or three nights, can't remember, we were given our room and I promptly went back to the front desk and cancelled the rest of our stay. It is a motor lodge (read Motel 6). Though it's been refurbished you still can't get away from it's age. Our view was of the parking lot. The rooms across the lot from us may have had the view of the cemetery maybe golf course but it's not what I expected from seeing their web site. We had a room with 2 beds and a fireplace. The bathroom, though clean was old. Our room was definitely one of those refurbished but the old hollow front door made me nervous at night. It is at least 2 stories and you can hear the people above you. The good thing is if the dumpster is not right outside your door you can park your car in front of your unit.

If you are staying at the lodge make sure you go with really low expectations. If you are staying at the suites it will be nice. The front desk staff is ok. They were not interested in talking to us about moving over to a suite.

About the breakfast and BBQ: Bagels, eggs, quite a variety actually. Seating is in a room off the pool. BBQ was burgers and dogs. Kids ate it we skipped.

It is NOT across from the ocean!!!!!

Old May 13th, 2002, 11:40 AM
ttt

ttt