Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Carmel, CA-Narrowing down lodging choices! Plese help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a room booked for the Normandy Inn on Ocean (due to good reviews on this board and it's great location) but I wasn't thrilled with the service I got on the phone when I called to make the reservation. The website room looks a bit "frilly " for my taste so I am second guessing myself and now considering trying out Carmel Valley Ranch, near the Mission.

Normally, i stay in a private home on 10th in PG... so I am not usually looking for lodging in this area.

I guess I'm looking for either a great deal somewhere or a hidden gem that I haven't happened onto yet. Anyone have recommendations?

I'd like a fireplace and a comfortable room... very clean and pleasant, homey and warm.

Waiting for my magic Fodor's friends to wave their wands and suggest the perfect room!

TIA
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 07:49 PM

I liked both the Tally Ho Inn and L'Auberge

http://www.tallyho-inn.com/

http://www.laubergecarmel.com/

Make sure you get a second floor room at L'Auberge
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 07:50 PM

My sister stayed at the Normandy Inn and wasn't impressed. Did you check trip advisor, too? Carmel Mission Inn is interesting but I haven't stayed there either. Their restaurant has good food, nice ambiance, and a piano bar in the evening.

I'm trying to remember where we stayed last time. Let me to look at the listings. Be back soon.

What is your budget?
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 07:56 PM

Colonial Terrace Inn

http://thecolonialterrace-px.trvlclick.com/

Have a great breakfast, very nice decor.

I have always wanted to stay at La Playa

http://www.laplayahotel.com/
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 09:48 PM

We really love the Carmel Country Inn. It sort of calls itself a B&B, but I think of it as more like an Inn. Very, very pleasant and clean and the staff is terrific. www.carmelcountryinn.com
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 04:44 AM
Original Poster

I would like to stay under $300, so that leaves out the laauberge' but that website sure looks beautiful! will have to tuck that away for another time, although perhaps I'd stay at Spanish Bay for that price point. I will look more closely at the Tally Ho. Thanks, Andrew8.

Carmel Valley Ranch is not the same property as Mission Ranch... and now I am confused. Where the heck is Tess? I need her!

Ronda, thanks for the sites. I have stayed at LaPlaya before and it is a gorgeous property, although a little worn the views are amazing. The rooms that open to the courtyard and the sea actually hand crank open and the sounds and small of the ocean are incredible. Stay there when you can...you won't be sorry.

I'm not familiar with Carmel COuntry Inn and will take a look, thanks cabovacation.
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

I meant that the windows in the rooms crank open...
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 03:15 PM

My husband and I just got back from Carmel and loved the Sea View Inn. www.seaviewinncarmel.com wonderful breakfast, comfortable rooms and great service.
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 03:44 PM

We have stayed at Carmel Valley Ranch, it is very nice. The Mission Ranch is close to the mission in Carmel, CVR is in Carmel Valley. We had a very nice room for $125/night, we loved Citronelle for dinner. There is also a $25/day resort fee at CVR. OUr room had a fireplace, wet bar, separate sitting room and a very spacious bathroom. ***kim***
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Kim... I COMPLETELY had Mission Ranch and Carmel Valley Ranch in my head as the same place...lol. I just realized last night that I am losing my mind and am clueless.

I am hoping Tess or some other local like Bob from PG will steer me in the right direction as far as comparing the two peoperties. I have been to a few weddings at the Misison Ranch and there for drinks and dinner a few times over the past 20 years. I have NOT been to CVR and have no idea where it is... so I will look at a map and try to get my weekend organized... planning to go the 20-22 of this month.

I have decided to cancel at the Normandy.

Thanks.
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 04:10 PM

Carmel Valley Ranch is in Carmel Valley - across Highway 1 and down a few miles, so not near the village of Carmel. It's a lovely resort with golf, tennis, spa etc... The mission (clint eastwood's hotel) is nice but on the edge of carmel, so not really a convenient walk to the village. There's a chain of 5 small hotels in Carmel called Inns by the Sea(www.innsbythesea.com)- I stayed at the Dolphin Inn and Svengaards Inn - across the street from each other and both with their own parking lots - which is important there. I prefer Svengaards - it has some bigger rooms, with a fireplace and small kitchenette, which we like. Both hotels are just a few blocks from ocean ave, so very convenient location.