Car service to airport

Search

Car service to airport

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2004, 01:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car service to airport

Can anyone recommend a reliable car service that I can use to get to EWR? One caveat, they would need to supply a car seat for a toddler....

Thanks for your help!
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 05:37 AM

From where?
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 09:31 AM

I'm assuming you're talking about from midtown Manhattan, right?

I don't have a specific suggestion, but generally speaking you can look them up in any visitor guide while in the city, usually clipping a coupon at the same time. Of course, usually the coupons are only good during "non-peak" hours, meaning roughly from 2:30 AM until 5 AM, or something like that.
I'm surprised no one has answered yet, but you could also search "car service" under New York and find some recommendations here. Tel Aviv is one that comes to mind as often being suggested as reputable and dependable.
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Actually, from New Jersey --- about 20 minutes west of EWR.

I'd forgotten about Tel Aviv --- I'll look them up on the web and see what they say about offering car seats. Any other suggestions are welcome!

Thanks again
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 05:53 AM

Actually if you're travelling from NJ to EWR, Tel Aviv or any NYC service makes no sense. You want a service from the town where you'll be staying. Either do a google search for car services from (fill in the town) or go to this website

http://www.panynj.gov/aviation/egtsmain.HTM

and scroll down to the info on "to the suburbs" which are the NJ towns near the airport.
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 06:28 AM

Open your local yellow pages.
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 06:31 AM

Not to nitpick, but I'm curious why anyone would post a message like the above without giving their starting point. I thought it was just oversight and was probably Manhattan as that is the typical request. But sydney, you've left out the most important details.

Sort of like saying, "what's the cost of a plane ticket to Paris?" From where? There'd be a lot of difference if you were flying from Nice as opposed to flying from Melbourne, Australia.

McLaurie is absolutely right.
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 06:52 AM

TROLL
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 08:27 AM

You'll need the carseat for the plane, so you'll have to just lug it with you. (I've done this many times when traveling on business and bringing my infant and Mom along.) Fortunately, when you have a car seat and a little one, I've always been offered a ride on the golf carts....just lucky I guess. I think it is unreasonable to expect the car service to provide a car seat, how would they know how big your child is?
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 09:53 AM
jor

This question is about as vauge as they get. The United States is a very large country. EWR could mean Ester Wright Ranch. New York is not the center of the universe nor America.
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 11:31 AM

Given that this thread comes up when New York is selected, I DO assume the poster means Newark airport and he seemed to confirmed that in his second post. It's possible this poster is visiting in the area. It's also possible it's a troll.

What's your problem today jor? And where's this ranch?
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 12:45 PM

Well jor, you have to admit that three capital letters always denotes an airport, and they never duplicate anywhere in the world. New York may not be the center of the universe but anyone who travels even a little would probably know that EWR is definitely Newark!
But I will agree that the overall post was indeed lacking in major necessary information and details.
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 08:35 PM
jor

I would bet that most people do not know what EWR means. If I asked 100 people throughout America none of them would know what EWR means even if I told them it is travel related and has something to do with New Jersey or New York. I have traveled through Newark and did not know that EWR is the abreviation for Newark. Newark is only one of many airport stopovers for travel to Europe. Flying out of Cincinnati or Atlanta is a better choice. New York is Not the center of the world but it is indeed a very nice place to visit.
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 08:51 PM

Would one of those 100 people who didn't know what EWR was have the inside track on the best car service to get jacko to it?

I don't know - I'm not from NJ or NY either. Just curious.
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 09:06 PM
jor

I rest my case.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 04:23 AM

Hehe, don't rest your case on me! Not into internet animosity and all that, but I guess what I was thinking was that for someone to be able to answer jacko's question, they'd either have to be local or travel into Newark frequently. So, chances are, anyone who could answer the question would also know what EWR was (I would hope that anyone so into travel that they hung out on travel forums would know the code of an airport that they use all the time).

So, not that I think NY is the hub of the earth (I definitely don't), I just figured that sydney_jacko had supplied enough info about where he was trying to get TO to get answers from people that might actually know. Possibly using EWR might have even been a pretty good filter in finding those people.

Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 10:01 AM

Let me get this straight, jor. "Flying out of Cincinnati or Atlanta is a better option." Huh? For what? This is a US board. Tell me how it would be more convenient to get to the New York area out of one of those cities if one didn't live there?
And again, anyone who travels KNOWS that three capital letters stands for AN airport. If they don't know which one, then fine, obviously they wouldn't know the answer to the question asked anyway. But to say it could stand for anything -- only shows you don't know which airport, but it obviously couldn't stand for anything you wanted to make it. I suppose if someone said JFK, you'd suggest that could be anything, like Junior Frankfurter Kitchen?
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Why would a troll post about something so completely inane? I will be staying in New Jersey on holiday. I choose not to say exactly where, but honestly, New Jersey is not a huge state. I have never travelled there before with my baby, and innocently thought that many people who currently live there have done so, and have faced having to get to the airport without a car or a car seat. That IS common in NYC (Jor, surely you know what those three caps stand for?)

Thanks again for those who helped me out.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

P.S. You're right that it was stupid of me to forget to say where I was starting FROM and going to --- sorry about that!
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 09:55 AM
jor

sydney, this post is not about you. You did not do anything wrong!

Fodors could make one of their trivia questions out of this at the top of the United States category.

There are 2083 airports in the US. What is the abbreveation for Newark NJ?

a) NWK
b) EWR
c) WRK
d) NEJ
e) none of the above

Very few people who click on the trivia question at randowm would know the correct answer to this question even if they have flown through or to Newark in the past. \/