Car Rental Kauai and Big Island

Old Jun 7th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Rental Kauai and Big Island

I have been trying to get some car rentals pinned down, but NO ONE will tell me the final cost.They say we have to wait until we come and then we will know. I hear there are 7 Hawaii taxes. Some rentals cover some of them, some don't.
Any ideas?? Thanks!
Old Jun 7th, 2008, 03:57 PM

Try booking online. They'll usually give you a guaranteed rate including taxes, or a very close to estimated rate. Travelocity guarantees the final price when booking on their website.

There's really only 4 taxes:
Airport Concession Fee
State Tax (4.167%)
Vehicle Licensing Cost Recovery
Rental Surcharge
Old Jun 7th, 2008, 04:42 PM

Do a search on discount Hawaii car rental. I've used them in the past for Kauai and the BI and have been happy with them.
Old Jun 7th, 2008, 05:41 PM

Used National on the BI a few weeks ago; ended up with 9 days for $127 (total cost, plus upgraded to mid-size). Terrific local office people, too.
I ended up phoning the tf National rental line and talking to a person, who tweaked my already low fare (I was trying to stack coupons and needed help) even farther!!
Old Jun 7th, 2008, 05:42 PM

I;ve also used carrentals.com many times with great success; I like not having to pay until I get the car.
Old Jun 8th, 2008, 05:47 AM

We had good success booking online and a few times got better rates rechecking with the rental company site a week before we left.
Old Jun 8th, 2008, 09:49 AM
dmlove

We booked online last summer on Maui and Kauai through Hotwire -- got Avis in both cases, and they were inexpensive and efficient. We knew the full price going in.

Old Jun 8th, 2008, 11:38 AM

This is the first I have ever heard of not being able to get a firm price confirmation.

Do you have Costco membership? Costco offers several car rental companies to choose from which should be able to give you the bottom line.

Anna Roz
Old Jun 8th, 2008, 04:35 PM

I also use Costco online for car rental for the BI. Check each company though--big price difference. The price was actually a few dollars cheaper then the quoted price when I picked up the car! I paid $129/9 days for full size sedan.
Old Jun 8th, 2008, 04:54 PM

To the OP, I've never heard of NOT being able to get the final cost. Who have you contacted or used? I'm just curious, because it's standard procedure on any car rental site that you get the base price and then the add-ons for the final price.

Anyway, try these guys...
http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/

I've used them a few times and they usually have the cheapest price, even more than Hotwire.

You can also cancel if you change your mind.

Or try priceline. I've never used them in Hawaii, but I just did for an Oregon trip and got a ridiculous deal.