Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How much should I expect to spend on a car rental in Kauai for 15 days? SUV

Jun 26th, 2002, 04:13 PM
Mary

I saw the other thread but I think this helps me a bit more directly. I am looking to go in August so I am guessing I am going to pay for renting so late. Any ideas on what looks appropriate? Husband does not want to bid.

Jun 26th, 2002, 04:56 PM
xxx

anybody, please?

Jun 26th, 2002, 05:12 PM
Dan

Have you visited the car rental websites and checked what their basic rates are for that timeframe?

You can get a quick rate check at orbitz.com but they only show prices for weekly rental periods (a bit misleading).

I have a 4WD SUV reserved on Kauai from Alamo for appx $500 (additional driver and all taxes included) for Sept.

Jun 26th, 2002, 05:23 PM
Mary

thanks Dan how long is that rental for? Yes I have checked around but I am not sure I doing this right. I am not finding rates under $650 before taxes and fees, I thought I would.

Jun 26th, 2002, 05:29 PM
TryThis

Mary -

Is there a special reason you need an SUV? You will do better on rates with something else.

Jun 26th, 2002, 05:30 PM
Anthony

Why do you need an SUV? That's why it's costing you so much. Just rent a regular car. that what we did the 2 times we were in Kauai. If there;s something nice to see, you pull over, and get out of the car. Absolutely no reason to rent an SUV, it's a waste of moeny

Jun 26th, 2002, 05:41 PM
Mary

well we were thinking we needed it on the road Polihale park and possibly Alakai Swamp it cuts 3 miles off that hiking trail. Although I am going back in forth over the rational of two hiking trips and $200 dollars.

Jun 26th, 2002, 05:42 PM
Mary

What rates should I expect for a midsize and fullsize. I want big windows for the child in back seat.

Jun 26th, 2002, 05:52 PM
Mary

I just feel like Dan and others are getting all the good deals and I am paying rack rates.

anybody have a tissue!

Jun 26th, 2002, 06:42 PM
Dan

My rental is for 11 days in Sept. I checked Alamo's site using my QuickSilver member ID and rate code 6T. I got something like $800+ for a Jeep and appx $450 for a Mustang or Geo(?). They didn't have any SUVs for the rental period I tried (AUG 13 - 27).

I wouldn't have rented the SUV except that my girlfriend drives one and she feels more comfortable in it than a car. Plus it was a good rate at about $30/day.

All I can say is try looking through the web for different rate codes for different rental companies and try those. Also call the companies and ask what the rate would be for a AAA member.

Jun 26th, 2002, 06:46 PM
xxx

Go to Orbitz.com. It will compare rental prices for you. Then go to the websites for the least expensive rental companies and check for specials.

Jun 26th, 2002, 07:18 PM
WildBill

Check out biddingfortravel.com and maybe bid through priceline. I've done it before and been very satisfied.

Jun 27th, 2002, 04:14 AM
Mary

Thanks Wildbill my wild companion is too nervous about bidding/

Dan I think you will be glad you got an Suv if you plan on exploring Kokee Park you can cut time off of trails that have a three mile unpaved path out to them. It is an incredible way to spend some time walking in different areas of that park. You get to see off the beaten path views of the canyon, mountain forrest and respective wildlife.

Thing is one of you has to be confident driving. In my experience guys love it some woman, women I have been with anyway don't think it is so fun.

On Kauai around the same time Dan 9-24th

A HUI HO!

Jun 27th, 2002, 08:48 AM
Anthony

FWIW:
All the rental car agencies in Hawaai prohibit renters from taking SUV's & 4x4's off road - The contracts clearly states that you are in violation of the rental contract if you take the vehicule on non-paved roads - obviously, if you have no problems or damage to the car, no one will know, but you still are violating the rental contract if you do.

Jun 27th, 2002, 09:15 AM
Mary

I know Anthony just looking for a rate

Jun 30th, 2002, 10:42 AM
Kat

My husband and I went to hotwire.com and got a last minute rental for our trip last week. Nissan Altima for 7 days for 246 (total). I would try it!!

Jun 30th, 2002, 10:55 AM
Gina

Just curious why you feel you need a SUV here in Kauai? The gas is high and they're not that great for narrow roads. We've only lived here for a year so I'm no expert, but would suggest you look into something more economical (unless you're planning on hauling things around)???. I've heard hotwire.com has good rates. Gina

Jun 30th, 2002, 10:58 AM
lcuy

Mary...there is no set rate for rentals, and they can change from hour to hour, depending on reservations.
the simple fact is that you need to check the web sites of Budget, Alamo, Avis etc, then check Travelocity.com and Expedia. When you are done, call the 800 numbers for the same companies and ask them for their AAA or Costco discounts. If you don't have these cards, don't worry...you don't actually need them to call and get the quotes. If it will save you enough, you can then go join. I find that Alamo + costco is usually the best price.

And a month in advance is not late for a car rental....