Reload this Page >

Kauai Rental Car - Mini Van

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2002, 02:47 PM
Ronda

We will be six in Kauai for 10 days in June and need a mini van. Any suggestions on how to make sure the car company definitely has one for us when we arrive? Also, I am thinking about calling the National Rental Car at Luhue directly. Heard you can get a better rate that way. Anyone else try that? Any other suggestions?

Old May 7th, 2002, 02:57 PM
Tina

Hi Ronda, We've been going to Kauai for many years and as far as rental cars your best bet it to check out all the well know name companies and book on line. We've never had a problem with the car being available. Just look around for the best deal for what you need. All the car rentals are at the Lihue airport. My husband waits for the luggage and I run and pickup the car and come back to load up. The airport is all on one floor and opens up right accross the street from all the rental offices, you won't have any trouble finding them. Have a great time, Kauai is the best of the islands. If you have any questions don't hesitate to e-mail me.

Old May 8th, 2002, 07:25 PM
Ronda

I rented through National. The online price was $536.94 for 10 days (including surcharges and taxes). The 800 number was $445.45. I also called them directly at Lihue and was quoted approximately $467. I booked through the 800 number and called the rental car agency in Lihue let them know we definitely need a mini van. We'll see.

Old May 9th, 2002, 04:24 AM
Sarah

We got a mini-van last year. Been to Hawaii for many summers. Never had a problem not getting the car we needed. Will tell you we got the best rates by signing up with AAA was told this buy the Lihue offices. Think we paid 288 per week before taxes and fees. Have you checked out the post on priceline rentals from yesterday. A lot of people were getting compacts for 18 and 22 dollars a day.

Our plan is to offer compact rack rates for Suv this year. Four Wheel drive can come in handy on Kauai. But we were six last year (3 kids) and felt cramp in the SUV. So definately go for the minivan with that number. I can't imagine you will have a hard time getting a minivan. We saw few families last year mostly couples.

Old May 9th, 2002, 04:25 AM
Dawn Ct

We have rented a mini van on Maui, Oahu,The Big Island and Kauai, and have never had a problem with it not being available. I typically book my rental as soon as I know that we are going to get the best rate. Last year I was able to get an island hopper rate through Budget and through a local TA that averaged $200 per week.