Search

Car hire, US/Canada

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4th, 2004, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car hire, US/Canada

I'm in the very early planning stages of a trip to the US in June/July 2005. Part of the holiday will be a round trip from Minneapolis via Seattle, Vancouver, Calgary. Other stops to be decided upon! We have 3 - 4 weeks to do the trip and are thinking of renting a car for the lot. I guess my initial questions are:
Any especially recommended car hire firms?
Is there a problem taking a hire car into Canada?
Are there any parts of the journey where another form of transport would be preferable?

Thanks!
Old Dec 4th, 2004, 06:24 AM

You could take a float plane from Seattle to Vancouver. The plane takes off from the city, not far from the Space Needle scenery and the must be awesome.

Also, consider taking the railroad across the Canadian Rockies.
http://www.viarail.ca/tourists/en_tour_phot_roch.html
I would not want to be the one behind the wheel on a car trip in that region (probably would drive off a mountain while taking in the scenery).
Old Dec 4th, 2004, 06:25 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
1. Let price be your guide. Any of the large firms ought to be fine - be sure you understand the mileage and insurance options before you commit. As a non-resident of N. America (assuming here) your rate will be different than the one that would be charged to N. American residents; investigate costs displayed both through the travel engines (Expedia, Opodo, etc.) and through the rental firms themselves. Note that "premium" rentals (convertibles etc.) will be very expensive compared to vanilla ones.

2. Shouldn't be a problem with taking the car into Canada, but make very sure before you drive away, or when you book. Most of the agencies' central booking lines (overseas and domestic) should be able to answer.

3. No.
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 02:25 PM

Hi,

Hopefully this is a case of picking the car up in Minneapolis and returning it there 3 or 4 weeks later. Rates will be MUCH lower if doing than vs. picking up in one spot and dropping in another.

I myself would first CHECK at www.nationalcar.com for rate estimates.

If it were me, I'd drive across the U.S. on the first leg of the trip and then back to Minneapolis across Canada.

IN Minneapolis I would first visit the "Mall of America" ... biggest shopping mall in the U.S.

Then I would drive westward through countryside and probably on a southwestern course... I think you should get down to California, eventually, for stops in at least San Francisco and Reno, Nevada on the way if not Las Vegas and Los Angeles too.

You'll want to hurry yourself along early to allow plenty of time for getting back.

I know this car company intimately and there is no problem for me, a U.S. citizen taking the car into Canada - I do it all the time. I do NOT know for sure about people from outside of N.A.

Though I am confident that it is probably OK.

(for clarity, UNLESS you intend to take the car on a big round circle (start and stop in Minneapolis)... you should probably contemplate other means of transport)

anyway, once you tire of San Francisco, drive northward along much of the Calif and Oregon coasts, then inland to visit Seattle for a few days... when done there, drive northward 3 hours for a couple/few days in Vancouver... then eastward to Alberta... and I'd recommend Edmonton to the north over Calgary... (especially for someone who just came from Minneapolis and their realtively-PUNY mall)

Edmonton has the largest shopping mall on earth, surrounded by the largest parking lot on earth.

The city itself is pleasant in summer and it is fun to be so far north near the longest day of the year (June 20/21). Sun sets after 10pm there.

Don't know how much you'll find of great interest across the Canadian prarie provinces of Saskatchewan and Manitoba, but they'll deposit you neatly back in Minnesota after you hit Winnipeg.

Obviously you're going to have to drive fast and cover considerable ground on some days... be thankful for some of the less populated states and provinces for that necessity.

Hope something here helped.

Old Dec 5th, 2004, 05:11 PM

I'm not sure if you've looked at the maps closely - but this trip would be somewhere in excess of 4,000 miles - quite far for a 3 week trip. Certainly doable - but the quesiton is - how much will you actually have the time to see with all that driving?

Typcially major US car rental companies allow you to take the cars into Canada - but you would need to check specifically with whoever you want to rent from. Suggest searching though Travelocity, Orbitz etc. I know some people here rent via Priceline - and it might be worth reading some of the threads to get info.

A big issue is insurance - which can be very expensive for full coverage. Most US car insurance policies also cover Canada - so we usually have the option of declining all of the additional insurance. You will need to check if your own policy covers this (doubtful) plus what type of coverage (if any) your credit card provides. One of the things to determine is what amount of cvoerage is provided - the minimum coverage can esaily be insufficient if you have an accident with a big SUV or luxury car.

IMHO with such a huge variety of natural wonders, cultural institutions, cities tourist sights I can;t really see wasting any time in a mall - no matter how big!
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 12:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all your tips, lots to keep in mind while car shopping. I know it's a big chunk of mileage, but we're from Oz so used to the big distances! Haven't planned the route yet but hopefully we'll be able to have a few big drive days that will allow us to take it more easy the rest of the time.
We've previously travelled the west coast to north of S.F. so are looking for something different this time. Any other thoughts on the route from Minneapolis to Washington state?
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 02:27 AM

TAD1

We are also Australians who recently did a roadtrip through parts of North America. As others have said, it should be no problem taking the rental car into Canada (Mexico, on the other hand, is a different story!). There is some Canadian law which I think affects Canadians entering Canada with a US rental car, but this does not apply to us Aussies.

Just check with the company first. Ours was with National and was no problem at all. Often the company's website will set out their policies on such things.

I don't know whether you've seen our website - it has been posted here recently and has a few tips on our experiences renting cars in the US. It's at http://dominic.kelly.site.net.au if you're interested.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 09:23 PM
Original Poster

Dominic,just had a quick look at your excellent web site, heaps of useful info. there, thanks so much!