Search

Rental Car using the ferries in Washington

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2015, 10:32 PM
wlr
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rental Car using the ferries in Washington

Does anyone know of any issues we might encounter driving a rental car from Seattle into Friday Harbor then Victoria ? ( we have passports )
Trying to line up the best route from Seattle to Olympic National Park stopping first to whale watch in Friday Harbor , visit Victoria and maybe even a stopover in Steveston ?
Any suggestions ?
Thank you so much !
Wendy
Old May 27th, 2015, 12:18 AM

I'd double check to make sure that your contract allows you to cross into Canada. But I wouldn't think it'd be a problem. Ferries aren't the issue...although there seems to have been confusion over that recently. If whale watching was all you wanted to do in Friday Harbor, I'd skip it and just do a whale watching cruise out of Victoria.

Best route depends on a few things: how long the trip is, when the trip is, if you have lodging yet, what your interests are, etc. Where are you ending your trip? Seattle, I'm assuming, because of the rental car? Are you interested in Vancouver as well?
Old May 27th, 2015, 01:16 AM
wlr
Original Poster

We have 3 1/2 weeks, starting and ending in Seattle
Aug 19 flying into Seattle would like to give the city 2 days then take the Western Prince whale watching tour which is out of Friday harbor.(I like the zodiac boats (looks more like something we would enjoy)
However I have been reading so much about Victoria that I would really love to spend some time there. Haven t committed to lodging in either Friday harbor or Victoria yet.
Thank you so much for your help !
Old May 27th, 2015, 02:35 AM

Yes, your rental car contract must allow you to take the car into Canada, and you must make sure you have insurance to drive in Canada.

My regular US automobile insurance is not valid in Canada, so my company issues me a "Canada card" before I drive there. It is free and valid for the length of time I tell them I will be in Canada. It is evidence to the Canadian authorities that I am insured in case of accident. I may have had to show it at the border.

If you do not have US auto insurance, you need to be clear about insurance with the rental car company. If all this seems like a lot of trouble mouse is correct that you don't need a car in Victoria for most visits.
Old May 27th, 2015, 04:16 AM

Some agencies do NOT allow cars to be taken into Canada - and those that do require special additional insurance. Determine this with your rental agency before turning up and finding out they won;t give you a car.

(And my personal car insurance does cover Canada - didn't know there was personal insurance that didn't. But none that I know of cover Mexico.)
Old May 27th, 2015, 05:47 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Drive through Washington to see Olympic National Park then park the rental car in Port Angeles. Take the ferry to Victoria as pedestrian passengers. Walk or take a taxi in Victoria to see what you want to see and get to a hotel if you are spending the night.
Take the ferry back to Port Angeles to pick up the rental car.
You might even be lucky enough to see a whale from the Port Angeles - Victoria ferry.
Do you have any desire to see Mt. St. Helens or Mount Rainier NP?
Old May 27th, 2015, 06:38 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Trying to line up the best route from Seattle to Olympic National Park stopping first to whale watch in Friday Harbor, visit Victoria and maybe even a stopover in Steveston ?

Trying to include Friday Harbor, Olympic National Park, Victoria and Steveston in one car-based trip is going to involve an awful lot of zigzagging and costly (and time consuming) ferry crossings.

If the whale chasing trip is the only reason for visiting the San Juans, then I'd suggest looking at similar excursions out of Victoria instead, for example the Prince of Whales - http://princeofwhales.com/ - who also use modified inflatables. That would allow you to bypass the San Juans and turn your trip into more of a loop - Seattle to Port Angeles for Olympic NP, PA to Victoria, Swartz Bay to Tsawwassen (BC) for the drive up to Steveston/Vancouver, then back to Seattle via BC 99/I-5 (or, of course, the reverse.)

Otherwise you'll have to take many hours to get from the Olympic Peninsula to the San Juans, such as backtracking to the Coupeville ferry from Port Townsend to Whidbey Island, then by road over Deception Pass to the San Juan Islands ferry terminal at Anacortes, or spend several hours waiting at the Blaine border crossing in order to get to/from the BC ferries terminal at Tsawwassen and/or Steveston up by YVR airport... lots of car time.

It matters what your main objectives are. For example, there are whale watching services out of Port Townsend on the Olympic Peninsula that would allow you to experience Victoria as day trip foot passengers on the ferry from Port Angeles later.

Or you could combine a day trip from PA with one of the Zodiac whale watching trips run by the Prince of Whales (see above) and save a LOT of money on ferry fares for the car.

Frankly the latter would be my suggestion. Victoria is very pretty but horrendously crowded in the summer, but if you were prepared to spend a full day there without a car, you could do your whale watching excursion and still have time to walk around the Inner Harbour, visit the wonderful BC provincial museum, and still be back in PA that night.

As for the rental car, sure, check ahead, but most of the national agencies will allow transborder rentals, even one-ways if you're so inclined.
Old May 27th, 2015, 07:21 AM

Even if you don't take the car Ferry to Victoria, you could stay the night or two at a convenient hotel in Victoria. I've done the day trip, because I'm usually too cheap for a hotel, but I think it's easily worth almost two days, especially if you want to see the gardens or do another tour. Like Gardyloo says, Victoria is crowded in the summer- and coming back over the border in car that time of year is sometimes worse with the wait times. You could do a ferry north and take the train back south. That might save you considerable money on rental fees and ferry crossings - Transit options in Vancouver and Victoria are good, and I would rather just walk on ferries because it cuts down on wait times and stress a lot in summer.

steveston is also reachable by transit, although I've never been there so I couldn't tell you if it's convenient.

http://www.steveston.bc.ca/directions.html

Depending on your interests- I would cut either Friday Harbor or ONP and spend the extra time in Seattle or BC. You do need a a car for SJI is the main issue. And while I enjoy SJI (and I'm pretty sure I'll be denounced for this)- I don't consider it a "must do". ONP is a lot of driving- there is no one good base for everything. But if you want to do everything you have listed you DO have time for it. Route will just be more expensive and complicated than I would enjoy.

Another idea would be to do Seattle for one week and then drive up and explore BC for the rest of the time. There is a lot to see and do up there- as you've already expressed an interest in steveston, that may be a better idea. It would give you less time in the car and more time to see and do stuff. You'd still get a ferry trip in if you did a day or two in Victoria. My main objection to your initial idea is pretty much what Gardyloo said- it involves a lot of time driving, and possibly even more time just sitting in your car waiting- which is not the way anyone wants to spend vacation
Old May 27th, 2015, 07:49 PM
wlr
Original Poster

You guys are the BEST !! Problems solved
Prince of Whales out of Victoria it is !
Sounds like it will def be easier to leave the car and make our way around Victoria by foot. I don't mind spending the extra $ on vacation but I definitely mind wasting my hard earned vacation hours on unnecessary driving ..
Will have to consider whether Steveston is a must see or not ..
Tomfuller - Planning to visit Mt St Helen's and Mt Rainier on the latter end of the trip because we are heading down the Coast/PCH after ONP ending in San Fran then looping back up towards Crater Lake / Portland before departing Seattle.
Any Recommendations are always welcome.

Thank you again everyone !
Old May 27th, 2015, 09:20 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I've been to Victoria twice (w/ lots of help from Gardyloo, suze and a few other Fodorites)

Didn't need a car either time -- I was able to walk just about anywhere in Victoria and for the longer or really uphill treks the local buses in are easy/cheap. For Butchart Gardens I took a local tour bus (not a tour of the gardens but a tour bus that runs a regular schedule from downtown Victoria)
Old May 28th, 2015, 12:59 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Will have to consider whether Steveston is a must see or not ..

Unless you're desperate to spend hours waiting to cross the border, give it a pass. It's a pleasant and somewhat historic suburb of Vancouver with a couple of okay restaurants selling fish and chips or pizza, but IMO NOT worthy of the time commitment unless you plan to visit Vancouver anyway.

Visit Langley on Whidbey Island or Port Townsend on the Olympic Peninsula and call it good. Or Fishermen's Terminal in Seattle for a much more vibrant working fish port.