Cape Cod Lodgings

Jul 14th, 2003, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Cape Cod Lodgings

I would like to visit Cape Cod with my husband this summer. We would love to stay at a nice B&B or small inn. Our preference would be to be within walking distance of a quaint town and not too far from the beach. However, our primary interest is not lying on the beach, but driving to nearby small towns and viewing nice scenery.

This will be our first time visiting Cape Cod so we are open to any suggestions regarding where to stay. We would prefer not staying in an area that is very touristy, though. Our first choice would have been Chatham, although that will probably be a bit above our price range. We would like to keep our lodging costs down to under $150/per night. If you have suggestions for nice accomodations other than B&Bs and inns, that are within our price range,we are open to that as well.

Thank you in advance for the input.

Jul 15th, 2003, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Trying one more time. Thanks.
Jul 15th, 2003, 07:32 AM

I would suggest you look for an inn on Rt 6a in either Yarmouthport or Brewster. Rt 6a is a very quaint part of the Cape, lined with antique homes, antique stores, ice cream parlors etc. There are many inns along the way.

I've stayed at the Wedgewood Inn in Yarmouthport and it was pretty nice for a B&B. I do need to tell you that I am not a fan of B&B's in general but this one was nice. The shopping area of Yarmouthport is pretty small but very nice. Beaches are a short drive away. There are also several very good restaurants on 6a.
Jul 15th, 2003, 07:42 AM

I think you might be happy in Chatham. It is a very pretty town with beaches within walking distance of the main drag. Unfortunately I know nothing about B&Bs or small inn since I live here. This should at least give you a place to start your search. I hope it helps.
Jul 15th, 2003, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Bennie, thank you for the tip -I will look into the Wedgewood Inn. Since you don't particularly care for B&BS or small inns, do you have any other suggestions for alternative accommodations that you have enjoyed along the Cape?
Jul 15th, 2003, 09:47 AM

Happy - I've stayed at the Queen Anne Inn in Chatham. It was okay but pretty expensive. We had a room with a fireplace and private outdoor hottub. There was a faux painting on the wall that was not finished and I thought this was tacky for paying over $300 per night. They have probably finished the painting by now. But the rest of the place was nice.

I've stayed in a variety of motels on Rt 28 that were marginal at best. Can't recommend any of them - all of them smelled musty and I hate that. I've stayed at the Sheraton Hyannis - that wasn't bad. But I don't think you want Hyannis.

I think my favorite place was the Red Jacket Beach Resort. Not sure if that was Yarmouth or Dennis. Its on the water, kind of motely but has more amenities. No musty smelling rooms. redjacketbeach.com

The Chathams Bar Inn is awesome but mucho dinero. Also there's the Ocean Edge Resort in Brewster. Never stayed there but did scout out the grounds and it looked good.
Jul 15th, 2003, 10:12 AM

The most popular mid-cape accomodation in your price range is the All Seasons Motor Inn (Summer rates $115 - $145).

While it is located on busy route 28 it is a short drive to nearby beaches, scenic drives: lower county road; route 28 Chatham to Orleans; route 6A and nearby towns and villages: Dennisport; Yarmouthport; Harwichport; Chatham.
Jul 15th, 2003, 11:05 AM

Check out the Old Sea Pines Inn in Brewster. Short drives to pretty scenery, beaches, etc. Well kept up inn, reasonable prices, wonderful breakfast included, nice ambience. www.oldseapinesinn.com I'll be staying there again next month.
Jul 15th, 2003, 11:48 AM

Try this http://www.colonialhousecapecod.com/

The top rate on their website was $135 and included dinner for 2 plus breakfast. I'm not sure if it meets all your requirements but the price is right.
Jul 15th, 2003, 08:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I am going to look into them first thing tomorrow morning.