Can't decide where to go,HELP!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have 17 days available for a vacation(Sep 1st-Sep 17th)We'll be leaving from Seattle(no kids),but..we can't decide where to go.We want to take our time,relax, so no hiking,rock climbing,river rafting etc ;-)
Colorado?California(Monterey,Carmel area)?Oregon?Is Colorado a good place to visit?Maybe combine all three and put together a car trip with stops for a couple days in each place?We have two airline tickets available(Delta)to anywhere in the US,maybe use those?Maybe fly to one place and plan a car trip from there??No idea!!! Please advise...
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 12:57 PM

I would go to Hawaii and do a tour of the islands.
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 01:21 PM

I also recommend Hawaii.
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 02:54 PM

This is a great time to go for Hawaii or California (free tickets sometimes exclude Hawaii and it also might be difficult to use them since you're leaving around Labor Day; I would check with Delta). In California, I would recommend San Diego. And in Hawaii, Maui.
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 03:19 PM

I would do a combo of Maui, Big Island, and Kauai. We've done those islands, and loved them. Definitely great spots to relax. Since you're already on the West Coast, your flight time wouldn't be too terrible. Let us know what you decide.
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 07:02 PM

Easy. Fly into Chicago, spend a few days, then drive up the west coast of Michigan. Hit Sleeping Bear Dunes, Traverse City, Petoskey, Harbor Springs, Mackinaw City, and Mackinac Island. If you really wanted scenery, drive through the Michigan's Upper Peninsula and head back down to Chicago through Wisconsin.

That is an amazing time to visit this area. The kids are back in school, so things aren't crowded, rates go way down, and it is the best weather of the whole year. Plus, it is grape harvest time in the wine producing areas of Michigan.
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 07:23 PM

If the airline tickets include Hawaii, that would be a good choice, if not, Carmel-Monterey area might be a good second.
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 07:32 PM

September in Colorado is THE best time of year to experience sunny warm days with glorious blue skies and cool evenings with a cozy fire to keep you warm. Foliage will be super too. There is so much to see and do here and Sept. is the perfect month.

New Mexico is another great choice with same skies, evenings but with a bit less in the foliage department.

Debi
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 08:08 PM
JRP

I agree Debit. September in CO is THE very best time of the year!

I had no idea before I came here that the skies were soooooo blue and clear.

Short sleeve Ts to long sleeve Ts in a matter of days- and such a comfortable transition.
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 02:45 AM

Fly to Denver -hire a car.Then visit Rocky mountain n.park-Black canyon of the Gunnison-road to Durango via Silverton-visit Mesa Verde-then up to Moavisit Canyonlands and Arches n;Parks-then via G.Junction- glenwood springs->Vail back to Denver.Paul
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Hi All,
Thank you so much for your suggestions,I'm probably the only one in the world saying this,but Hawaii would not be a choice.We used to live in S.Cal so we know San Diego well. We love fall,cool air,mountains,lakes .
Colorado sounds wonderful,maybe we should focus on that.Do you think driving would be a better way to get there?Is it a scenic route at all,or just another hwy?Any fun places to stop along the way?Any suggestions for nice (and inexpensive)hotels in Colorado,in the areas tovarich mentioned?
Thanks again for taking the time to reply.
PS.What about Lake Aspen?
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 07:53 AM

In Denver we stayed at the Ramada inn close to the capitol building and town centre(walking distance).In Durango ; Budget inn(one mile from town centre).In Moab: Apache motel(where John Wayne stayed when making movies in the neighbourhood).Paul